When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Completely Hand Made Beauty

Guest TTK

A lot of you may not realise it, but I've been a collector of knives for most of my life.....I've had everything from jig made to hand made....A. Barr to Spyderco / Gerber and Buck....!

Anyway...I've been in discussions with a Thailand based custom knife maker about buying for myself...some of his knives....which are absolutely stunning....right up with the best makers.....440CL stainless steel....heat and -20 degree forged.....using New Zealand conch ...ivory.....deer and buffalo horn slips.....mirror finish blades....all hand made...no jigs used....so each one is different.

He has also developed and is about to patent a new and exciting product.....a folding knife that opens automatically as you remove it from the sheath.....and closes automatically as you insert it back in the sheath.....absolutely superb.....I can't show photos of this yet...for obvious reasons....but I will shortly.

I don't know whether there is an interest in hand made knives here....so this is just a little post to gauge interest of not.....these knives are absolutely gorgeous and are way ahead of anything that you may have previously seen.....featuring "damascening" in cobalt and gold on the top models...!

They're not cheap....but obviously because of low labour costs ( he makes them himself...so they are labours of love )......but they compete with the best from makers like Frank Centofante / Stan Fujisaka

/ Joel Chamblin etc etc.....without the exorbitant prices.

Here's my new beauty......!

Drop-point,3.25 inch blade,3/16 inch 440c stainless steel, heat treated and sub-zero quenched, Mother o Pearl handles, harmonica style relief cut spine.....assisted opening.....beautifully smooth....!

What dya think.....anyone interested in these....!

135227-18322.jpg

135227-18323.jpg

135227-18324.jpg

135227-18325.jpg

135227-18326.jpg

135227-18327.jpg

135227-18328.jpg

135227-18329.jpg

135227-18330.jpg

135227-18331.jpg

135227-18332.jpg

@dws.....for the one shown....about $140.00.....bear in mind these are not factory produced knives......all individually hand made......the price of a reasonable rep.....for a knife that will outlast anyy rep...!

I have some cracking knives to show you.....plus a video of the auto opening straight from the sheath...quite remarkable...!

Well straight off I would say that the auto opening knife will be illegal for us to own in Oz, but your knife is an absolutely beautiful piece.

Still not for me all my knives are for practical use, boot knife, fishing knife, box knife.......ahem........caseback knife :D

Ken

no int here if i get busted whit that on the streets i get 1000$find and maybe also jail time but it looks damn nice that i must say :)

I have a automatic from as way back as 1960's its long as hell,you woud love it TTK i will try find time to get it and photograph it,since its illegal i dont keep it at home but at a secret place :whistling:

@dws.....for the one shown....about $140.00.....bear in mind these are not factory produced knives......all individually hand made......the price of a reasonable rep.....for a knife that will outlast anyy rep...!

I have some cracking knives to show you.....plus a video of the auto opening straight from the sheath...quite remarkable...!

Niel,

If and when you have these for sale I would take one...or two...GORGEOUS Knife!

Let me know...

Absolutely gorgeous Robert.....the carvings are magnificent.....a truly beautiful knife.......but you wouldn't want to use it.......:D!

Thanks for showing us it...!

I think the attraction for me with hand made knives is the aspect of 'craftmanship' that is involved......it seems nowadays that everything is factory made and made to accentuate the 'bottom line'...rather than satisfy both the maker and customers desires......in an age where 'craftsmen' seem to be dying out everywhere....it's great to see an area where individual makers can still carve out a living....(no pun intended)!

Edited by TTK

Lovely as they are, in this place they would only be ornaments. Get caught carrying one of those babies and you are some ways on the black bus to the slammer. Rightly so IMHO.

Knives, guns, knuckledusters, whips (well maybe not whips) are, unfortunately, tools of violence and as I'm a pacifist I'll pass.

Beautiful photos though!

JTB

Lovely as they are, in this place they would only be ornaments. Get caught carrying one of those babies and you are some ways on the black bus to the slammer. Rightly so IMHO.

Knives, guns, knuckledusters, whips (well maybe not whips) are, unfortunately, tools of violence and as I'm a pacifist I'll pass.

Beautiful photos though!

Whilst on the one hand I agree with you....on the other hand I don't....you see...guns and knuckle dusters are weapons of violence....specifically made for one purpose and one purpose only....to maim or kill.....knives on the other hand are a utilitarian tool that have been adapted to kill....same as an axe.....almost every cutting instrument has been adapted for the purpose of weaponry....whether it be the humble kitchen knife.....the tonfa / jitte or sai from okinawa.....or the pike that was used to hunt wild boar....but knives are and always will be a 'tool' before a weapon....from the surgeon's scalpel....to a leatherman tool..!

You know me John....I'm against guns now...I wasn't before.....but it's been proven on many ocassions... and we witness it almost daily ...especially in the USa...where you have a culture of violence....and a ready supply of a weapon that can indiscriminately kill and injure dozens in the space of seconds......a knife doesn't have that capability.....!

These are primarily ornamental pieces...an appreciation of an artform......when you hold one of these....the feeling that you get is different from that of a gun....a gun in your hand conveys a sense of power....I don't care who you are or how much you may protest that...the weight / feel / oily smell from a gun is very potent.....and that feeling can be invoked by the simplest of pressed weapons.....such as an AK47....cruedly made but efficient....!

A beautifully made knife on the other hand is different...you feel the smoothness of the grips...the mirror finish on the blade....the handiwork that went into ensuring a fine fit and finish.....it's completely different.....and it's essentially a tool...not a weapon.....!

The number of times I've broken down in the car.....got a tow rope.....only to find that the knot had tightened up to the point where you can't free it....oh how I longed for a tool in that circumstance..!

@Robert.....the spine and back blade are hand file cut......!

PS......I'll be offering some very good tactical knives at great prices as well as these hand made collector's pieces....see my trading section....!

Edited by TTK

Neil,

Knives are indeed multifarious instruments, however such varied uses are contextual in relation to their geographical placement.

Our mutual friend Bob – up there in the Alaskan north – will no doubt, on many an occasion, find it necessary to be armed to the teeth with such instruments and more.

However, in sunny Blackhill, Priesthill, Easterhouse or any other low-brow West of Scotland housing estate - in fact let’s not discount respectable places like Balloch for instance - the carrying of such tools are generally for one purpose and one purpose only and it ain’t gutting fish or defending one’s self against grizzly bears, far less cutting tow ropes :lol: .

Perma-smile engineers roam our streets nightly looking for prey and frankly I’m glad we introduced the knife ban here. Doesn’t totally solve the problem of course but it’s a step in the right direction.

I’m not poo pooing this market – a time and a place is fair enough, but whilst the examples that you illustrate are indeed works of art - a knife is a knife is a knife in these lands.

Must Skype soon. Off to Crieff at the weekend, hob-nobbing in the Hydro.

Which rep to wear, that’s the thing? Gotta be your Panny 8-day.

Catch up when I get back.

J

@ JTB and r11co......Yeah.....a couple of neds like you two...out on the razz at the weekend......umpteen Guiness doon yer neck.....and a fish supper or donner kebab in haund.....hingin' aroon Central Station.........would definitely end up in the back of a Black Maria.....and then inn The Weekly News.......but a distinguished gentleman such as myself.....would merely be assumed to be in posession of an article of distinction with no malice aforethought..:lol:

Edited by TTK