When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your thoughts on Tag Heuer as a Brand?

paneraiguy

What are your thoughts on Tag Heuer as a brand.? i remember the days when most if not all nearly had ETA movments, and in earlys 2000's I think they started to bring out their inhouse movements.

As a brand, do you think they are now worth what they are asking for in their models, with so much competition these days, and their prices are competitive with other Brands like Panerai,Rolex, why do you think a person now would buy a Tag Heuer watch.

Do you think most people who buy a Tag, think they are the best beacuse of all the advertising etc? Or am I totally wrong and been in the closet too long!

Would you buy one???

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers Paneraiguy

Tag Heuer has strong advertisement campaigns all over the world and I think most people buy them because of it, without realizing that Heuer is not just a pretty face, but also a respectable watch company. Most noticeable is their contribution to inventing the automatic chronograph back in 60's as a joint Heuer-Breitling (and to some extent Hamilton) partnership.

TAG is owned by the Swatch Group.. the Swatch Group also owns ETA. Heuer was a really cool company before TAG bought them and they somewhat lost their soul. There's not much left of the old Heuer style.. which was an absolute bonehead managerial move- (Omega has been selling the Speedmaster in it's basically same config for over 40 years, Heuer could have sold some of their gorgeous old world classics in the same way) I'm not that hot on TAG.. there are a few cool Calibre 16 chronos in their current lineup and alot of crap otherwise.

Old World Heuer.. The Camaro:

HeuerCamaro.jpg

Old World Heuer: Heuer Bund 3H NATO

HeuerBundNATO3H.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, the new Aquaracer (with the ribbed bezel and the plank dial) is REALLY nice. I looked at a gen yesterday. Considering purchasing it. Additionally, their Calibre 1887 movement seems to be pretty good -- and it is basically an in house movement. At least in terms of what is considered "in house" by some of the lesser "luxury" brands like Breitling and to some extent IWC (though IWC does some serious modifications to their ETA base movements).

I like Tag. At first I disliked them because they're generally the starter watch for young punks who think they want a watch to show off to people. But to a lot of those guys, they know 3 brands: Tag, Rolex, and Panerai. Beyond that, they couldn't tell an ETA movement from a Japanese quartz.

The problem with that is that Tag makes a really great watch. So I couldn't hate them for long. The Carrera Day/Date is an absolute knock out. And their Calibre 16 is a pretty exceptional repurposing of the 7750.

My next gen purchase will either be a new Tag Aquaracer or a Longines HydroConquest.

Sorry if that was an overly verbose response. This is my first post. Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

• Like 1

I'm a TAG fan.

Aquaracer & Link Chronographs have always been very desirable to me. TAG has made the most attrative looking watch models lately... while Breitling, Rolex and Omega has mostly downgraded their model range, TAG has continued to make good looking new watches.

I think they appeal to the younger end of the Market and are aspirational for a lot of brand concious 20- 30 year olds .

I got a gen Tag for my 21st along time ago as did many of my mates back in the 80's. I have had an old PVD Heuer dive watch as well

I don't like their advertising I will never be Brad Pitt nor do I want to be and I think their celebrity sponsorship is pretty lame and that one with Leonardo with the photoshoped watch on his wrist is just w@nky .

I like the vintage manual wind Chronographs the Autavia and Camaro are awesome and a good Heuer Carrera vintage is a classic , but I can't stand the "Links ", but I have the same contempt for Blue Dialed Seamasters so my opinion is well dodgy to some.

The new advance movement Tags are genius and i think they have turned a corner and agree with By Tor they are pushing forward unlike many other brands

I think they appeal to the younger end of the Market and are aspirational for a lot of brand concious 20- 30 year olds .

I got a gen Tag for my 21st along time ago as did many of my mates back in the 80's. I don't like their advertising I will never be Brad Pitt nor do I want to be and I think they . I like the vintage manual wind Chronographs the Autavia and Camaro are swesome and a good Heuer Carrera vintage is a classic , but I can't stand Links , but I have the same contempt for Blue Dialed Seamasters so my opinion is well dodgy to some.

The new advance movement Tags are genius and i think they have turned a corner and agree with By Tor they are pushing forward unlike many other brands

I agree with this. I did NOT receive a TAG for my 21st, but a Seiko for HS graduation. That said, my first (gen) mechanical was the newer TAG Carrera date. I loved the pie pan dial and I even regret selling it. It's design, however, seemed a little over-kill after the purchase of my first gen Rolex Datejust. Even though, for me, TAG had the edge on design, it was the in house Rolex movement that lead me to look at my TAG with disgust. Maybe they're going

In a better direction, but we will have to wait and see... In the meantime, I'm preparing to buy a chrono that's the equivalent of Tudor to Rolex, but in this case the substitute to Heuer. I'll keep you all posted ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while Breitling, Rolex and Omega has mostly downgraded their model range, TAG has continued to make good looking new watches.

What makes you say that? Omega has really been putting a lot of quality stuff out there the last 10 years. The Planet Ocean line (which has just been updated with ceramic bezels, new dials, upgraded bracelets, and the big one - an all new in house movement) is gorgeous, the Bond is still going strong, and the AT's have been updated and look fantastic. I do wish they'd bring back an updated 2254.50 though. I'd hardly call that downgrading?

Rolex has been going crazy updating their line, addressing all the critics who claimed that they were stale. Everything from the Datejust through the GMT have all received updates. New cases, new/much improved braclets, etc. Downgrading?

I was never a big Breitling fan, but they've also got a fair amount of newer, good looking stuff.

A few of the Tag models are nice, but IMO they are a step below the big three as an overall brand.

Omega has really been putting a lot of quality stuff out there the last 10 years. The Planet Ocean line (which has just been updated with ceramic bezels, new dials, upgraded bracelets, and the big one - an all new in house movement) is gorgeous, the Bond is still going strong, and the AT's have been updated and look fantastic.

Agree, the new AquaTerra GMT is eye popping. Fresh, without loosing its identity and updated with co-axial caliber 8605/8615 GMT movement (this is so going to be repped!)

post-41517-0-68501400-1328018530.jpg

http://www.monochrom...ment-explained/

TAG's ideas are where? At making Money? Look at the 2 watches below.. where they came from vs. where they are.. If TAG updated their 70's vintage

diver to a 43-46mm size I'd be all over it if it was priced right.. which is another one of TAG's problems.. pricing. One of their better styles right now is the

Grand Date.. but it's a $1500 QUARTZ .. yeah.. an expensive quartz :nono: . Roll out an automatic diver in the old style and price it at $1500-$1900 and you'd be seeing them fly off the shelves.

Here is where Heuer came from.. 70's vintage classic cool diver:

HeuerDiverMonin.jpg

And here is where they are today.. Some crapezio styling for the nouveau riche

TagAquaracer.jpg

I have three genuine TAG Heuer quartz (Eta 955.xxx) watches...one WK1120, one WK1111, and one WK1112. The WK1120 was made in 1998, the other two in the early to mid 2000's. I have $60 in the 1120, $150 in the 1111, and $200 in the 1112. The 1112 was nib when I got it, the 1111 was slightly used, and the 1120 was about 90% and had a short bracelet.

I wear the WK1120 when I need a watch I can count on...no 'mechjunk' that may or may not be running when I need it.

mechjunk = any mechanical watch, genuine or replica

Hundreds of quartz watches will work just as good or better than a TAG Heuer 1120, 1111, 1112. I just like them and got good deals in them.

I know G Shock etc are more rugged. I just can not get used to wearing a plastic watch that looks like it fell out of an alien's azz on liftoff. :animal_rooster:

My favorite 'mechjunk' watches...gold cased USA made Elgin and Hamilton. Too fragile (for me) to wear though.

I think TAG have a nice spread of watches. In the UK their Quartz models come into the 'High Street' brands section, so lots of jeweller chains will carry them. This means people have seen them and would recognise them as a quality item, but equally if you have a high end TAG no-one is going to rip your arm off to swipe it off you (at least not round where I live anyways).

I have an F1 Daydate which is a really nice watch. The finish on it is very good and the bracelet is *by far* the most comfortable of all my watches.

If a Panerai is a Lamborghini, and a Rolex is a Bentley, a Tag is probably an Audi.

N

I used to like the Tag Heuer as a Brand when I was 18 years old, but nowadays I find it an exceedingly boring brand regarding the less complicated replicas.....but then the genuine Monaco Collection has some nice pieces....the genuine Calibre 1 has is nice.......genuine Carrera Calibre S Laptimer 1/100th is ok too

Monaco-LS-1-Male-Extravaganza.jpg

• Like 1

I love the history and their vintage stuff. They also seemed to nail a "Style" that is approachable by nearly anyone (Aquaracer/Carrera).

Personally, because they are so approachable and even stylistically neutral, they just come off as very average/middle-of-the-road. It is a safe watch to buy. If TH were a car company, they would be a Ford/Honda(Acura)/Toyota(Lexus) like company. Solid, reliable, something for everybody. Just my impression.

I think they've improved some of the designs in the past few years, sure they will never be the old Heuer but with the 1887 carrera and the newer aquaracers they've picked up pace, also some of the Monaco rereleases are gorgeous. There's something unlikeable about them though, the advertising is too in yer face, as a brand they are a bit annoying...like a kind of rolex for 20 somethings :)

As said above they are not owned by swatch, they are owned by LMVH, same company that owns Hublot and Zenith, and a whole host of other annoying fashion brands. I'd still like a decent 1887 rep though, get it started :)

Yep, I agree it appeal's to the Fashion crowd and those wanting ot get into the market, and still dont know or dont understand "what other brands" there out there. We are all so spoiled that we have gained alot of knowledge over the years and know whats what around the place.

For me, the most soild do anything Watch: Rolex

Best Buy under $10,000 in terms of quality, inhouse movement: Jager le Coultre

Most Stand out and impress the ladies Brand under $10 000 - Panerai (i think)???

Best Watch if you dont know what you are doing: TAG

Best watch to have sex with: Rolex Deep SEA!!! LOL if your going deep that is.... sorry just had to do it. lol

What makes you say that? Omega has really been putting a lot of quality stuff out there the last 10 years. The Planet Ocean line (which has just been updated with ceramic bezels, new dials, upgraded bracelets, and the big one - an all new in house movement) is gorgeous, the Bond is still going strong, and the AT's have been updated and look fantastic. I do wish they'd bring back an updated 2254.50 though. I'd hardly call that downgrading?

Rolex has been going crazy updating their line, addressing all the critics who claimed that they were stale. Everything from the Datejust through the GMT have all received updates. New cases, new/much improved braclets, etc. Downgrading?

I was never a big Breitling fan, but they've also got a fair amount of newer, good looking stuff.

A few of the Tag models are nice, but IMO they are a step below the big three as an overall brand.

It's a taste thing mostly, isn't it?

And I said recently, not in the last 10 years.

1. Omega makes way too many "Special Editions" and "Limited Editions". I agree about PO though, it's a nice watch.

2. All maxi dial Rolexes have been downgrades visually, imho. I would never trade a 16610 to a 116610. The new Sub is a visual downgrade... they butchered it with the new trendy & fat design... it was perfect for over 40 years... and replacing the classic Dweller with that ugly thing DSSD was a blasphemy. That's an ugly big thing... built-in radio is the only thing missing from that monster. The new GMT Master II is simply boring... no Pepsi option. Yacht-Master II is absolutely hideous. DateJust size increase was nice though.

3. Breitling's new model range isn't appealing to me. B01 is okay but the rest... hmm... I thought their Basel 2011-range got a terrible reception here as well. Way too much bling.

I understand TAG's cheesy advertising annoys people. I also understand that people think TAG is a bit "annoying".... just like the Porsche snobs never liked the 944, although the turbo version was able to outperform almost the entire 911 line. It never got the respect because "it wasn't a real Porsche". TAG's biggest sin is probably that "it's not the real Rolex" but the poor man's version... but neither is Breitling to the general public... no matter how much people here love the brand.

Image things aside, I'm puzzled how people can instantly tell the quality differences between these watches without some kind of scientific approach. You know... like putting the cases and bracelets through extreme stress... water pressure, different temperatures, etc.

Statements like "belown the Rolex/Breitling quality" are interesting because I don't see any data or visual evidence to back these claims up. I don't see any difference in finish and details, and if there's any I would put TAG's dial print ahead of Breitling (and you need huge macro shots to see it). I've handled the new Link Calibre 16 chronograph and it was absolutely stunning... double AR, display back, that lovely Link bracelet with amazing brushing... although there was nothing wrong with the new Breitling B01, either.

Watches have been my hobby for my entire life and I can't see how my Breitling is supposedly "superior" to my TAG Heuer... Both watches run pretty accurate, near the COSC standards, etc. and have been 100% functional and trouble free. I've heard of some horror stories about bad "Monday watches" from both manufacturers though.

Rolexes have inhouse movements and I understand (somewhat) that it places the brand to another category... image wise... and unlike Invicta, Citizen, Seiko, TAG & Breitling they do NOT gold plate their "18K gold" two-tone bracelets. I agree that's CHEAP. Dunno about Omega...

Omega and Breitling have also made embarrassing models, ran after the trends and dropped the ball somewhere down the line...

46558160.jpg

And anyone can see the difference between Invicta/Alpha and the real watches... I'm not denying that... but how the bulk, mass produced Swiss ETA (quality) watches like 'Ling and TAG Heuer could dramatically differ from eachother? I'm talking about the high end TAG Heuers, the automatic lineup only... not the overpriced old quartz watches.

In my opinion, a lot of this "educated WIS talk" in the watch forums is simply nonsense, and the preferences and opinions are rather affected by hearsay, emotion, marketing and image than actual facts.

PS: You know the old story when someone was bragging about how his Rolex "never missed a minute" in the last 30 years. Well guess what, neither did my Timex.