When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Crystal or Retaining Ring?

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I am in the last stages of my 5513 build and have hit a snag with the bezel. I have the crystal installed and the retaining ring set, but the bezel will not turn when installed (even when friction spring is removed). I bought the bezel and crystal new, and crystal retaining ring used. I am 100% certain that the bezel is genuine as it came in the packaging. The retaining ring came from VRF so I would like to say it is genuine. I think that the crystal came from eBay but was in the little white envelope packaging. I am not where the problem lies. I am wondering if either the crystal or retaining are aftermarket. I know it would almost be impossible to tell for certain. Would an aftermarket crystal deform the retaining ring enough to not make it work? Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the tip! The o-ring I put underneath the retaining ring was 29-317-8. I tried a slightly thicker gasket but did not see any improvement. The bezel, friction washer, and retaining ring all work well together off of the watch. Any other ideas? Thanks!

I looked carefully and the bezel isn't touching the case anywhere. I decided to try an MBW retaining ring and it seems to fit. It is tight with the friction washer, but I am reducing the thickness of that as we speak. I will let you know if it works out. Thanks again!!!!

If the crystal retaining ring is a real tight fit over the crystal...it can expand the retaining ring just enough to bind the rotating bezel. This is not common but it can happen if clearances between the rotating bezel and crystal retainer ring are real close. If the crystal retaining ring is real tight, it is also a good idea to look all the way around the crystal skirt for cracks with a bright light and loupe before mounting the rotating bezel.

If there is clearance between the (mounted) rotatiing bezel and case all the way around...the trouble just about has to be the crystal retaining ring and rotating bezel in a bind.

Something else to check is see if the rotating bezel is still flat and not bent. Lay it on a sheet of glass etc and look around the bottom edge. It does not take much at all to cause the bezels to bind up. You can usually straighten a bent bezel with a little practice.

I had a 5513 project watch (non genuine case and a new Clark's bezel kit) and the rotating bezel snapped over the crystal retaininig ring just fine by hand but would not turn. I pressed the rotating bezel down a little bit more with a press cup in a BB crystal press and the bezel started working as it should. Maybe when I snapped the rotating bezel over the crystal retaining ring by hand it did not seat properly for some reason...but now it is fine.

I sometimes have trouble with rotating bezels not turning properly when I snap them on by hand. When I use the BB press, things usually work fine.

edit note:

Mount the rotating bezel on the watch first time around without the bezel spacer and insert. By doing this you will not have to figure out if there is a problem with the spacer, insert or just the crystal retaining ring and rotating bezel.

Edited by automatico

Thanks for the tips! I looked around the retaining ring and did not see any cracks. I think the case may be that my retaining ring is slightly warped. I tried to get it to sit flat but felt like I was chasing my own tail :) I managed to get the MBW retaining ring to work but it isn't as smooth as I would like. When I installed the insert into the bezel, it started to feel tight again. I think that I am going to look for a new crystal and possibly a new retaining ring. Thanks again for the tips!!!!

If you are using a real bezel and a real retaining ring the issue might be that they are from different watches. Wear on the parts will vary and it can be hit or miss trying to fit a bezel to a different retaining ring. Once I owned a Tudor 9411, 1680 and a 5513. I got the bezels mixed up and found that the retaining ring diameter and inner diameter on my 1680 was just slightly smaller then those on the 9411 and 5513. Thus the 5513 and 9411 bezels would fit it but the 1680 bezel would not work on the other watches. The 9411 bezel fit the 5513 but was loose and the 5513 would fit the 9411 with no issues.

The 5513 and the 9411 were both from the mid 80's. The 1680 is from the mid-70's.

How about this.... remove the insert, pop on the bezel and see how hard it is to turn. Make sure it's not rubbing the case.

Then pop off the bezel, and use some fine emery cloth and rub it just a little around the mating surface inside the bezel where it clicks over the ring.

Then clean the residue, reinstall the bezel and see if it turns easier.

If it does. you're on the right track. Go slow.

I did some sanding on my MBW retaing ring to get my gen 5513 bezel ring to fit. It took some time to get it perfect. Afterwards I polished it a bit to make it as smooth as possble. The bezel was still very tight and difficult to turn so I sprayed the friction washer with some CRC teflon lube. Now it's easy and smooth to turn when pressed down and then locks tightly when released, no risk at all that it will move by itself.

I sanded the top surface to make more room for the friction washer. I perhaps did a very tiny bit on the circumfence, but if you do too much here the bezel ring will not snap on securely and may fall off. I actually ruined one retaining ring by sanding too much, so go slow and check your progress often. I've ruined many parts by trying too speed things up and work faster than I should... As I said earlier, some dry lube will also help things a long way. And make sure all surfaces are smooth and not coarse after sanding. It's not a difficult job at all if you're careful and I got perfect results on mine. Just remember to go slow.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I didn't have to modify anything to get it to work. I had a couple of retaining rings lying around (from MBW watches) and one of those worked just fine. Thanks for the help and advice. I will post some pics when I get a minute to take some.