When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a few words from a new member

i am a proud owner of some gen. patek, rolex and audemars watches and have always marveled at the engineering, art and craftsmanship that goes into each watch. which brings me to my point: i have always viewed people who buy replicas differently, you could almost say i looked down on them: for they were plebeians trying to be or portray something they were not. by mistake i found this site and after reading some through some forums I've come to the realization that the people here are true horological aficionados...and i feel more at home here than with other owners of genuine watches. it is quite perplexing because most of the people i know who have a real audemars, rolex, patek or vacheron ect. but really aren't the least bit interested in the history of the company, let alone the how the thing works; they seem to be more interested in the status it brings them. that brings me to my next point, i was so impressed by the sheer knowledge of the people here. for example i never though in a million years a person who buys a fake rolex would know the difference between a rolex caliber 3185 vs 3186 let alone building a watch using replica and genuine parts. and that is just fascinating to me, so much so that today i have decided to buy a replica watch and become part of the replica community.

• Like 5

Hello!

I am a fellow gen owner, mostly APs, Hublots and a couple of IWCs and Rolexes, and I think I enjoy the company of this community more than the other forums I frequent. The gen vs rep watch related topics have been discussed to death, and I am sure everyone would have their opinion to offer on the subjects relating to this.

For me, a watch is a personal item of choice, and I enjoy my fair share of rep watches, and I enjoy hanging out in this community very much. Depending on the specific watch model, I would buy either the gen or rep one. I do not discriminate against rep watches at all, and in fact I enjoy them very much lol.

You will enjoy your stay here if you adopt an open mind and attitude. A lot of members here own gen watches, and like you mentioned, the knowledge shared in this forum is simply humbled me when I first joined last year.

:drinks:

.........and wait till you see what people here have created from scratch when that unobtainable part was simply.....unobtainable.

Do a search and see if you can find the thread where one of our members created a PloProf case from a block of steel.

• Like 1

Welcome to RWG

What you say though is not that surprising, often when money is not a problem people will simply buy the most expensive regardless of whether they know what they have or not.

My closest friend is much the same as this, he buys the very best in everything and then he will do something like get me to defrag his 7K computer, he basically knows how to turn it on and do a google search but everything else is just for show.

Not all genuine watch owners are like this very many do have a vast knowledge of the watches they buy but most of these types do find their way here at some point.

Ken

Well, for a gen owner, your open mind to share with us in the forum is refresing. This experience will show you that plebeian perspectives on horology sometimes are far more insightful than the ones you find in gen forums. The reasons for this are several, the most important being that -in general- rep owners are more interested in the aesthetic, historical and technological quality of the watch, than its exchange and sign exchange value, which moves 90% of the gen retail market. In other words, most of forum members enjoy their rep watches as parodical projections of what many cannot afford, but which still love for what they ultimately represent -that is t-echnological achievement, historical context and aesthetic quality.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your gens and future reps.