When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken DateJust Journey Finally Complete!

tomhorn

I've sort-of switched my philosophy from owning many reps, to reducing the quantity ... either by modding my favorites, or building frankens. Been teasing this one a bit, and she's finally done.

The assembled 16014 DateJust project arrived while I was out of town (doesn't it always happen that way?) but it was the first piece of mail opened when I walked through my door! It's been a long journey to get this one done, with a couple of minor mis-steps along the way.

Here's the build list:

Gen 16014 case

Gen 16000 caseback

Gen White Gold Bezel

Gen Crown

Gen Tube

Gen Plexi (as it turns out, maybe not, but more later)

Gen Silver Roman Dial

Gen Jubilee Bracelet

Gen Clasp

Gen 555 Endlinks

Gen Tudor Hands

Gen TC ETA 2824-2 w/high canon pinion

Raffles-time #2 movement ring for 2824

Clark Springbars

BK Datewheel Overlay

Also included lots of TLC from PBdad ... :)

Sorry for the bad camera phone pic, but I'm in the process of moving and the better cameras I own are packed.

datejust_wristy_1.jpg

Along the way I purchased a Raffles-time clasp, an engine turned bezel, an additional gen case set (to get the white gold bezel), and a linen dial ... all of which I ended up not using on this project. Have decided to use the extra case set on my next project, a 1016 Explorer (thanks to LHOOQ's threads).

PBdad threw into question whether or not the plexi was gen, as he had to do some sanding/polishing work on it to make it fit. The watch also required a second trip to him because one of the markers fell off the dial in transport back to me. He cleaned up some glue on the other markers, and reattached the offending XI. He also had to trim a section on the Raffles-time movement ring.

I know the datewheel overlay is wrong for the period, and so is the dial, but I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Thanks to all the members I collected the parts and advice from!

• Like 1

Looking good. I'm surprised how you were able to fit a 2824-2 in there with only a rafflestime ring. The 2836-2 is an easy fit and I've seen people use the 2824-2 with a Stilty ring, but this is the first time for a 2824-2 with a raffles ring.

I certainly woudn't worry about the DW, if Rolex were to service a 3035 these days and replace the DW, it would be with the closed 6/9.

So 555 end links are correct for the 16000 case- at least the 455B rep links have been working for me all this time!

For those who asked ... a few more camera phone pix ... :)

datejust_6.jpg

datejust_4-1.jpg

datejust_5.jpg

datejust_3-1.jpg

And one more wristy ... :)

datejust_wristy2.jpg

And yes, ChiMan12, the dial for the 1016 project is proving to be the challenge!

Alligoat ... I was told by several builders the 2836's stem wouldn't align properly and that the 2824 was the way to go. PBdad reported shimming the datewheel a bit, but that's all I know. Perhaps he wants to chime in? I wanted to use the Stilty ring, but couldn't find one, and saw several people mention the raffles-time ring as an alternative.

Edited by tomhorn

Excellent, excellent result, TH. I remember when I used to think these were "Old Man" watches, but now I see DJs for the extraordinarily classy timepieces that they are.

...or I got old. :p

Haha... I feel the same way. The answer is a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alligoat ... I was told by several builders the 2836's stem wouldn't align properly and that the 2824 was the way to go. PBdad reported shimming the datewheel a bit, but that's all I know. Perhaps he wants to chime in? I wanted to use the Stilty ring, but couldn't find one, and saw several people mention the raffles-time ring as an alternative.

Basically what Stilty's ring did was lower the stem by elevating the dial. Sounds like that's what PBdad did by shimming the DW and having a taller canon pinion.

• 1 year later...

We have a winner! I think I am officially done with this build other than needing one extra link for the gen Jubilee.

My 1016 project should be back from PBdad soon, then it will be time to finish the 5514 that is ready for building. All that's left in the pipeline is the 6265 that I've found all the parts for but the v72. What will I do next?

Did I mention I hate this hobby ... :bangin:

Edited by tomhorn

Geez, I gotta read better. They hide that information in the post....I am always getting on my staff for that and then I do it in a public forum...sorry I am really not as dumb as I appear :)

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.