When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you ever been 100% happy with a rep OTB?

chango

I realize that tolerance is a necessary part of the hobby but just curious whether you've ever been 100% satisfied with your rep out of the box (no modded/frankened watches). For me, seems like there's always something I have to accept or modify.

No.  But then, that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Now, I've bought reps that I have been 100% satisfied with in terms of build quality.  (I bought an IWC Pilot Chrono that was surprisingly well put-together and the movement was impeccably clean and well-regulated.)

In that case, I was 100% satisfied with my purchase, but I knew going in I was going to be changing stuff.

I know that you have to buy in insert... but the TC Sub is 100% the best watch for watch (pound for pound) out of the box REP that you can buy and I am willing to test ANY watch to that. As far as accuracy and 1:1 rep to GEN. The TC Sub is 100% the best and 100% will make any one happy. Trust me.. I own three (3) of them...

Aside from the insert of a bk wm9 Tt sub I did not replace anything else.

I also have his yachtmaster that is bone stock

I modded a noob sub with a Jo insert and a watch material pearl which is great for a beater.

Also have a very good 42 pumpkin planet ocean great out of the box but I replaced the bracelet with a NATO strap

Lastly I am also quite happy with my noob 111. The inca block I never touched and just replace straps once in awhile.

So the answer is. The high end models won't need much mods if ever. I'm now eying a noob 4.1 diver which I feel doesn't need any mods. Ill just wait till they sink the bezel screws before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm wearing a rep right now which I have to say has been one of the best reps out of the box I have purchased.  Its a 500m Calibre 5 Tag Aquaracer.  Love it, and the Asian ETA clone is running spot on too.

As to other reps in my collection, one has been frankened, another is my TC sub waiting on insert, and another, a TT Sub C from Andrew.  The Sub C will be worked on soon as this has some flaws that I can correct.  The 12 oclock indice, and the one @9 too.

The first good Rep that I bought, long before the forum, I had already purchased to absolute junkers, 21j non chromo "chrono's" that were quite disappointing .

When my Tag Heuer Carrera Day Date arrived I was astonished with the quality of the watch. I now think of it as just another decent rep, it's good but it's by no means perfect and if it arrived today I would have been happy but certainly not 100% satisfied.

It didn't arrive today though, it arrived back in Late 2009 and at that time I would say yes, I was :clap2: 100% satisfied!  :clap2:

I have so many of so many makes so many models...even so called super reps ...every PAM especially.. that always needed something...though there was a rad that came damn close to being spot on

but there was one...out of all of them there was/is one.. that I was completely comfortble wearing and have absolutely no interest in modding or changing in any way... for me its a 100%

But it was only that one,

:)

Actually, my Omega Red/Black Day/Date only had one identified flaw AFAIK (a missing dot on the bezel) - but for that it was perfect. Ran great for all the years I owned her. Just sold as not getting wrist time though. That was - about perfect.

I was intended to say NO thinking first only of my Rolex and Omega Frankens but I have to say yes since there is one rep in my box which doesn't need any mod.

There is only one tiny little flaw (afaik) and that one is only remarkable when it's dark...so no "call out" here...the running seconds should be lumed but isn't...

I'm talking about my 2007 IWC Cousteau Divers Chrono....this watch is what I call a superrep :)

Most of the time yes. I remember how possessed I became when wanted a BK Crown & Tube on a Noobmariner , after I got it I was like  MEH!  The old one was fine really.  I think the inaccuracies should be seen as characteristics and appreciated for what they are.  Sometimes I think we forget what the R in RWG stands for.  

• Like 1

Yes, but I try to stay away from things that need 'serious' modding and have glaring tells though.

I also like to think I have realistic expectations: It's a fake watch, it's only going to be so good. Wear it and enjoy it!

TC Sub (with gen insert) and YachtMaster are excellent 'out of the box' watches.

I also have zero complaints with the Noob Explorer II and own both the white and black dial version. Probably the best 'budget' Rolex rep out there.