When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's Wrong With Me?

billyfras

Ive been a part of this forum for a while now, and it seems like the vast majority of members here are Panerai fans and own some model of PAM or another. But for some reason, apart from a full black Radiomir I saw one day, Panerai has never caught my eye or made me want to own one!!

Now I know I will probably be alone here, but I dont want to continue feeling so lonely in my indifference towards Pams.

Please, someone... tell me Im not the only one.

Or someone else, please tell me what exactly it was that made you a Panerai person. Maybe I can be converted.

I like Pam`s, clean and nice looking simple watch, me on other hand don`t like at all ANY Rolex, so...big world , people are different. Nothing to do with that. ;)

If we are talking about reps- Pam   today replicas are high quality,they  don`t need any more "must" modifications, and  no need to worry about stripped crown etc.. that is probably one reason why Pams are popular IMHO. I like Pam`s but I kind of don`t like sausage dials, except 040, so my choice of PAM reps will be quite short B)

I used to wonder what's the deal with them, then saw a radiomir homage going cheap so decided to buy it just to see.

It really is extremely comfortable to wear with the big wide soft strap, so I ordered 3 of the same style of soft straps and bought another two Pams.

I just ordered a homage fiddy last night after giving up looking for one on M2M.

They're definitely not a watch I would have more than 3 or 4, two main styles I like, and SS and PVD.

You just need to pick up a cheap one to try it, but make sure it has a soft strap.

I am the same. Had only one Panerai. In the initial period of this hobby i was going through different makes looking for the ones i will definitely keep. Since I sold PAM i have never look at another one. For some of You guys might sound like a blasphemy but i have exactly same feelings towards AP and Hublot.

Hey Billy, I'm with you. I wouldn't wear one of those hideous things if it was given to me. :bangin:

Let the flames begin ... you PAM lovers have all your taste in your mouth! :tu:

Given to you??!!! Of course you would........ We know you !!! ;):)

Funnily enough I consider myself a PAM head .... I love them for a lot of reasons.... the History, the shape, the lume, that trademark dial... the strap [censored] I can be with them.... but most of all the anomalies that are created in its history with models and details and the fact no one answer is ever correct.... and if you think you know the answer then you dont really know PAMs...

However that being said.... I havent worn one outside for a long time.... not becuse I dont feel the same...but because of the way its changed in the last few years...not just the gens but the reps.... I used to love talking about them...but now on the forums.... its not about collecting or understanding PAMs its about having the best OTB... no one wants to create.. which to me is what PAMs are all about..

People rely on certain individuals to tell them what is the best OTB and then spend thier time posting QC pics and asking for strap suggestions... it is a fashion...

Truth is most of those guys who dont actually know what they are talking about.... they compare pics that shouldnt be used for a like to like comaprison.... they claim accuracy that aint there....and that then trickles in to sales forums..

I saw one today for a modded Noob 127 with a WSO crystal......it was described as same as gen, with same AR and distortion..!!   Bollox! The WSO crsytal is nothing like a gen crystal NOTHING !!!..... yet because one guy posted a rake of pics and evryone joined the bandwagon suddenly we have a consensus that is wrong....

I am seeing PAMs being sold now that guys rate as 'super reps'...they are just good...frankens that are just fitted with some ETA parts.... and guys thinking because of a comment on a thread its accurate...

The key to enjoying any watch beit gen or rep and what made PAMs so interesting and enjoyable was going out and finding out from many sources for yourself.... not just waiting for a small number of guys to post a thread saying what they think and then everyone taking that as gospel....... and anyone that does question those threads or statements in them get flamed by guys that wouldnt know a gen PAM if they were beaten to death with it....

So you are best off out of it... its all about fashion and wanting the best that guys can fool thier mates/work colleagues etc with.... hopefully that crowd will move on soon...but while gen PAMs are fashionable with arses in the real world it follows that PAM reps will do them same :);)

• Like 1

rambo-stallone.jpg

Either your a thug or they'll force you to wear PAMs...masculine watches they are.....PAMs are for brutes like Stallone

Laughing_ChimpM-vi.gif

img1270054362mae.jpg

Some good guys like PAMs too so its not all bad...

I'm the same, have tried hard to like them, just can't get on with them, even the ones I did try I attempted to vary the design, 112, 292, to 026K to 029M, (as much as can be done with Pams) in a vain attempt so that they might just click eventually. They never did! They don't sit on my wrist, always look massive, I don't have a particularly big wrist @ 7" but still, the pam lugs are well within the edges of the wrist....they should work but they always look odd, so much unnecessary space on the dials. I won't be trying one again unless they do a 40mm or 42mm gen and a good rep is made.

I always take the pish out of them on the forums, it's great that they are popular, but the rep forums have (or had until APs became the trend) a sort of frenzy about them that is not seen in the gen market. They are popular no doubt and repped well which is great, but it's almost as if you must have a pam in the watchbox (or there's something wrong with you ;) ) whereas irl (lol!) I guess maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 watch fans have any interest in pams. Maybe I am wrong but I suspect that a lot of the popularity on rep forums is fashion/fad buying due to being perceived for a long time as some the best superreps at a reasonable price, rather than love of the design.

"Roll up, roll up, get an identical replica to a $5K watch for $250, even though they are damn ugly, you still gotta love em!" ;)

I'm the same, have tried hard to like them, just can't get on with them, even the ones I did try I attempted to vary the design, 112, 292, to 026K to 029M, (as much as can be done with Pams) in a vain attempt so that they might just click eventually. They never did! They don't sit on my wrist, always look massive, I don't have a particularly big wrist @ 7" but still, the pam lugs are well within the edges of the wrist....they should work but they always look odd, so much unnecessary space on the dials. I won't be trying one again unless they do a 40mm or 42mm gen and a good rep is made.

I always take the pish out of them on the forums, it's great that they are popular, but the rep forums have (or had until APs became the trend) a sort of frenzy about them that is not seen in the gen market. They are popular no doubt and repped well which is great, but it's almost as if you must have a pam in the watchbox (or there's something wrong with you ;) ) whereas irl (lol!) I guess maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 watch fans have any interest in pams. Maybe I am wrong but I suspect that a lot of the popularity on rep forums is fashion/fad buying due to being perceived for a long time as some the best superreps at a reasonable price, rather than love of the design.

"Roll up, roll up, get an identical replica to a $5K watch for $250, even though they are damn ugly, you still gotta love em!" ;)

They have really taken off in the gen world too mate..... especially China and US..its a real trend setter at the mo...

Getting pretty big in EU to now ... wearers are referred to as Eurotrash in some popular reviews :);)

I take it you are referring to Stallones acting when you use the term 'brute' :)

Being a man of culture I am obviously quoting Shakespeare.......what Stallone is doing does not deserve to be called acting, when he puts on a watch it is ruined aesthetically

tumblr_mo3felQHLW1qfz3hfo1_250.gif

LOL ! Obviously ?!?!.... you snob !! ;)

I can do that..." Is this a dagger I see before me.... or a bad Rolex crown..?" :)

Edited by petem

Deckard

"I am the same. Had only one Panerai. In the initial period of this hobby i was going through different makes looking for the ones i will definitely keep. Since I sold PAM i have never look at another one. For some of You guys might sound like a blasphemy but i have exactly same feelings towards AP and Hublot."

I will take the heat with you as a blasphemer no AP's or Hublot in my stable what so ever as stated above have settled on one and wear once in awhile on Pams. It is sterile by the way.

post-44391-0-71972500-1379163220_thumb.j

It is about the different style from all the other watches I see around, so I have one.

Pete funny you mention getting more popular, was working in ICU notice fairly young Doc (low thirties) to my amazement as I catch a look at the wrist as he is discussing a patient with group of students a PAM ! Saw him a week later at cafe different brand on the wrist maybe a Rep guy? No idea which one guys did not get close enough even then I do not know them that well. Really a shame I did not take to them in a big way as as you can see my wrist swallows them not the other way as with most. Bad pic but good for scale.

post-44391-0-48401800-1379163954_thumb.j

So my thirty or so divers of different sorts will be my collection and the search for the holy grail Rolex or Tudor that plays large enough for me on the wrist continues!

• Like 1

Mike have you ever thought about knocking in nails with those 'ammers !! :)

Up until last year I can honestly say I had only seen 2-3  genuine PAMs in the wild.... but in recent months I will see at least one every day.... of those I get close enough to I have spotted at least a third as reps.... even so called super reps....as they are despite what many say they are easy to spot... however with most other marques like you Mike with PAMs I am not so sure I could tell....

Did I mention i work in a PAM boutique !! :);)

LOL ! Obviously ?!?!.... you snob !! ;)

I can do that..." Is this a dagger I see before me.... or a bad Rolex crown..?" :)

Villains, you did not so, when your vile daggers

Hack'd one another in the sides of Caesar:

You show'd your PANERAIs like apes, and fawn'd like hounds,

And bow'd like bondmen, kissing Caesar's feet;

Whilst damned Casca, like a cur, behind

Struck Caesar on the neck. O you flatterers!

Villains, you did not so, when your vile daggers

Hack'd one another in the sides of Caesar:

You show'd your PANERAIs like apes, and fawn'd like hounds,

And bow'd like bondmen, kissing Caesar's feet;

Whilst damned Casca, like a cur, behind

Struck Caesar on the neck. O you flatterers!

I dont know it...but you hum and I'll play it ! :)

But it sounds like it is from my favourite film.... Carry on Cleo

" Infamy Infamy...they've all got it in for me.... "

In the beginning when I joined RWG I didn't like Panerai at all. But after a while I decided to get one myself. So I bought a PAM104 (http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/157215-my-first-panerai/). From the moment I received the watch I fell in love with the watch. I don't need to own 5 different PAM's, just this one (or maybe someday two  :partytime: )