When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Member MSM1 for servicing/repairs of watches in the UK (London based)

astonjenks

After some delays on my part, today I finally met and received my PAM 441 from member msm 1 (Alex) in London and I am very grateful for the great job he has done repairing and servicing her as she wasn't running properly (new from a TD) and required some replacement parts as well as a service.

Alex is a really friendly and knowledgeable chap and incredibly helpful as I could not get over to his workshop in East London he met and delivered the watch to me in Central London, that's the kind of service I appreciate.

So we have a great member here in the UK that can sort out our watches and he doesn't hide behind a mailing address so hats off to him, I for one am delighted and look forward to working with Alex (and his Dad) again.

Regards

AJ

• Like 1

Yep, he's worked on about four of mine already and he has two with him now and a few more to follow. I'd certainly recommend him to fellow members.

Mike thats what all our guys charge here I'm afraid. Even if it might be  atad cheaper sending away the chance of it getting damaged, missing or not delivered is not worth the risk/saving.

If it sorts out a watch that you like and it runs well its the price of a good strap so you have to bite the bullet :-)

AJ

Its not Alex, its Alan ...he also has twitter to follow. In April I decided to give him a try, so I send him my Pam 089 for heart transplant, paid him at his request, still no Pam delivered . I am a patient bloke, I hear a lot of positive reviews....so I wait. 

He's had a couple of mine for a while, one is ready for collection and the other is awaiting parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

msm1 is an absolute joke. I'm subscribed to the RG thread and have been following it daily. I've NEVER seen anyone so flaky and untrustworthy in my life.

He is second only to our beloved MD2020 who got a bunch of us for over 20k in watches, parts and movements. At least Alan is still communicating, MD2020 quit communicating, and that was all she wrote. Nothing, and that was after we tried legal action.

Another one that is just about as bad is our dear friend REX over at RG, or was on RG. He still has a bunch of watches he never returned including a AP ROO Rubberclad and a brand new a7750 sec@12 movement of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I did try and warn members over at RG about Rex but I always got shot down as a troll...Hopefully you can get your watch etc back.

I believe that this is a big problem on all the forums. A guy starts to go bad, a few folks who have had recent transactions start to complain and then all of the supporters chime in with all their warm and fuzzy stories and their wonderful experiences. Fine, but don't tell me I'm and ungrateful idiot because I complain that the repair guy has had my watch for 5 months, returned it not running or hands fell off, or whatever. The first question I would ask to any of those in the cheering section, "when was the last time you had any dealings with this person"? I would bet that most if not all were customers from far back when the repair guy was turning out good work and had lots of satisfied customers. I realize that there are going to be some folks who have totally unrealistic expectations, expect their 200.00  USD watch to look and perform exactly like it's 25K genuine counterpart. Most of us have realistic expectations though and when you begin to have a pattern of more and more people expressing their dissatisfaction and have legitimate reasons for their dissatisfaction, then the alarm bells should begin to ring. The problem is the cheering section usually is successful in drowning out the folks who are dissatisfied and have legitimate complaints, which usually leads those folks to stop posting their complaints. Now along comes new members, they need their watch repaired, and when they read the threads, they often come to the erroneous conclusion that the complaints were not legit, as those folks disappeared. the cheering section wins another one, at least temporarily, usually until a few of them get burned as well, then they join the other side, but by that time, the repair person has gone on wrecking havoc for a few more months, and more members get burned. 

• Like 1

I believe that this is a big problem on all the forums. A guy starts to go bad, a few folks who have had recent transactions start to complain and then all of the supporters chime in with all their warm and fuzzy stories and their wonderful experiences. Fine, but don't tell me I'm and ungrateful idiot because I complain that the repair guy has had my watch for 5 months, returned it not running or hands fell off, or whatever. The first question I would ask to any of those in the cheering section, "when was the last time you had any dealings with this person"? I would bet that most if not all were customers from far back when the repair guy was turning out good work and had lots of satisfied customers. I realize that there are going to be some folks who have totally unrealistic expectations, expect their 200.00  USD watch to look and perform exactly like it's 25K genuine counterpart. Most of us have realistic expectations though and when you begin to have a pattern of more and more people expressing their dissatisfaction and have legitimate reasons for their dissatisfaction, then the alarm bells should begin to ring. The problem is the cheering section usually is successful in drowning out the folks who are dissatisfied and have legitimate complaints, which usually leads those folks to stop posting their complaints. Now along comes new members, they need their watch repaired, and when they read the threads, they often come to the erroneous conclusion that the complaints were not legit, as those folks disappeared. the cheering section wins another one, at least temporarily, usually until a few of them get burned as well, then they join the other side, but by that time, the repair person has gone on wrecking havoc for a few more months, and more members get burned. 

Sounds familiar my friend...................

He's done work on some of mine:

Black Seamaster Chrono - still working fine..

Hublot Black Magic - two attempts to fix it and it's now very stiff to hand wind (yeah, yeah I know about hand winding 7750's, but you SHOULD be able to, even if only to start them running)

Pam Black Seal, keyless works issue, fixed and lasted about 5 mins before it went again. This will not be returned because of .........

AP ROO Rubberclad - this is where my problems really are. He's had this for around 6 months. I paid when I delivered it to him (in person). He has since started to have problems - read too much work. There has been excuse after excuse but no watch. I'm not the only one mind, there are many people in the same boat as me over on Repgeek. So, do not send him any more work!

Kernow, unfortunately, there are very, very few folks who can work on the a7750 sec@12 movement. REX supposedly has worked on "hundreds of a7750's". This according to him. I definitely question that, as the exact same watch that you sent him is the one that he has never fixed for me. Shame on me for sending it back to him for the third time. I should have cut my losses and tried someone else. Problem is he was so personable and seemed very sincere in trying to get things right, I fell for his line. Now probably will never get it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk