When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1966 5513 Build

droptopman

Good morning fellow watch enthusiasts...

The 5513 has arrived and is on the wrist today, just in time for my birthday and Christmas.  

Little history on how it got to me just to show that shipping and receiving can be interesting sometimes.  Received tracking information and a few days later I checked to see where the package was.  For some reason it went through customs in NY and then went through customs in Chicago a few days later, which I had never seen before.  No big deal as I am in WA state so needs to make its way across the country.  Then I check a couple days later and it is in Denver CO out for delivery but cannot be delivered due to incorrect address.....Now I am starting to panic.  Contact USPS and they are really no help at all.  Contact the shipper and he contacts Canada post and we still really do not know what is going on.  3 Days later tracking shows the package in Spokane WA, now I am feeling pretty good that she is coming home.  However 4 hours later tracking shows it was delivered to a mailbox in Denver.....Now I am really confused and think I may be losing some holiday cheer.  Yesterday I called USPS again, waited for about an hour on hold and they tell me it was delivered to my mailbox at 2PM yesterday but the tracking online still shows it was delivered in Denver, but also left Spokane the day before.  She stated that in the 20 years of working at USPS she has never seen this happen.  On her computer the package(s) was delivered to 2 different addresses in 2 different states within a 15 hour window.  The same tracking number was issued to 2 different packages :bangin: I have never seen that happen before and I hope it never happens again...

So on to the build: Dbane modded the case and assembled the watch.  He also helped with parts selection and build development.  Many thanks to him for his patience with me through this process.  A truly skilled watchsmith and a great guy and asset to the forum.  

Yuki modded case set with custom serial number (numbers that are special to me but period correct)

Yuki ETA dial and hands

Brand new Swiss ETA 2824

CWP (Michael Young) dome crystal

Yuki 7206 bracelet (I am going to bite the bullet and get a genuine bracelet).  

Genuine crown

Genuine MKIII bezel insert

This is my first 5513 and it may be my favorite piece that I have ever owned, genuine or rep.  Just a perfect balance of simplistic class but also sporty and rugged.  I know one thing DOME crystals rule!

Here are some pictures from my iPhone.  I set up a makeshift light box and tripod but pics still need some work...

post-60288-0-52637900-1419009563_thumb.j

post-60288-0-66056400-1419009591_thumb.j

post-60288-0-21139100-1419009622_thumb.j

post-60288-0-33440100-1419009649_thumb.j

post-60288-0-50070100-1419009677_thumb.j

post-60288-0-63839000-1419009809_thumb.j

post-60288-0-95954200-1419009870_thumb.j

Want to thank dbane again for everything.  First class gentleman.

• Like 2

Glad it arrived safely.  Looks great on a 7206 (even if it is a rep).

I should probably point out that the dial/hands were relumed and because the insert did not have a pearl, I popped the crappy Yuki pearl out of the rep insert and placed it temporarily in the gen insert at DTM's request.   The lovely insert deserves to rock a gen pearl at some point.  I also slightly trimmed the second sweep hand to look as gen as possible.

It was a pleasure working on this project with DTM who is stand up guy.

Today's the day for vintage Sub builds ... nice job with yours as well!

I feel you on the shipping. I have a post coming on my new Daytona. That thing went from NY to MA, to WA for two stops, and then to three stops in FL before it finally got to me. Two day mail that took 7 .... :(

Edited by tomhorn

And just to add I like this aging style vs the ones that look like they've been sleeping in a swamp for 20 yrs

Thanks, I Agree, I do not get the beat to **** look.  Why spend good money on parts and then destroy them.  We have all seen plenty of vintage genuine pieces that are in excellent condition.  Initially I was going to use the Yuki insert and have dbane age it or use a gen aged service insert, but when this insert became available with its natural aging I knew it would really make the piece.  We had some discussions about lume color and he really captured exactly the look and feel I was envisioning.  The decision to buy the MKIII insert was really influenced by seeing all the great pictures of your 6538 and the beautiful subtle fading on your insert.  

The insert put me over my initial budget but I think everyone would agree it is worth every penny....This was a really fun project and I learned a lot from dbane and yes I was lucky to have him working on this piece.  

Great build! Nice lume job too...how did the Yuki lume look compared to what it is now?

Never had the dial in my hands, direct shipped to dbane. But my explorer dial is stock Yuki and it's decent but lacks plot texture. Maybe dbane can chime in.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Awesome piece! I'm glad it worked out for you!

More times than not, myn experience with USPS has been a disaster. When my gen 93150 came, they tried to deliver but it needed a signature. So the next day after work, I went to the post office. "We can't find it. It doesn't make sense, we have no idea where it is." They give me a phone number to call and send me away. Turns out, my wife did me a favor and went and picked it up during the day and they had no idea, documentation, or proof that it happened.

In my experience FedEx>UPS>DHL>USPS.