When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another reason I rarely venture over to TRF

dbane883

I'm convinced that forum is full of boneheads (there are exceptions of course).

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=389532

The 5513 and the 116610 are completely different. Everything about the two are are miles apart. Haven't visited TRF in weeks and that's the first thing I see tonight.

Not sure why it bothers me, but it does. Ok. Rant over.

9150d17b395ff162d3d5b6a8a7229658.jpg

Yes please, I'll take two! :tu:

I reckon you can go through life with appliances or with soul. I could drive a Toyota Landcruiser but I prefer a '63 Land Rover. I like Madshus skate skis but I prefer Trysil-Knut wooden skis.

These will all "get the job done" but a few will make memories as they do.

I reckon you can go through life with appliances or with soul. I could drive a Toyota Landcruiser but I prefer a '63 Land Rover. I like Madshus skate skis but I prefer Trysil-Knut wooden skis.

I love the way Charles Morgan describes the car as something you can pop to the supermarket in, only a 100 ever made.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=aeromax+morgan&sm=3

By "make memories" do you mean, "sorting electrical gremlins"? That's the only thing I remember about Rovers. :)

There are some chumps on there but there are also some very, very knowledgeable collectors and genuine Rolex experts/enthusiasts with decades of first hand experience owning, buying, selling, living, breathing all things Rolex. IMO there is absolutely more knowledge on TRF (and VRF) than on all the rep forums combined. Said people don't tend to say so much but they are there and will help you if you know where to look and what to ask. 

There are some chumps on there but there are also some very, very knowledgeable collectors and genuine Rolex experts/enthusiasts with decades of first hand experience owning, buying, selling, living, breathing all things Rolex. IMO there is absolutely more knowledge on TRF (and VRF) than on all the rep forums combined. Said people don't tend to say so much but they are there and will help you if you know where to look and what to ask.

You are correct, and sometimes we paint people with a very broad brush. The Vintage Rolex Forum does have quite a good number of very knowledgeable folks. They have to be, when you are buying and selling vintage pieces that sell in the thousands and often many thousands of dollars, you can't afford to make too many mistakes. A few big flubs and you are broke and sitting on the sidelines!! I have found these guys to be somewhat helpful, but they operate that forum sort of like a private gentleman's club ( Not referring to a strip club BTW) You may enter as a guest and hang around, but until you pay your dues, you aren't going to be really welcomed with open arms. The Rolex forum, I find is pretty slim on talent and knowledge. However having said that it is a forum geared primarily to contemporary Rolex watches. If you look at the average participant, they are guys that have one or two Rolexes, and are not terribly knowledgeable. Read through the posts on just about any thread, and most are pretty arcane, "Beautiful watch. wonderful watch, love your watch, etc.,etc., etc". If it were a franken, or something really special, I could understand those comments, but to read through two pages of that stuff over a photo of someone's bone stock 16610, come on man, What's different about this one and the other 3.5 million  16610's that have been produced over the past few years.

I respectfully disagree with your comment on the knowledge level far exceeding the knowledge level here as opposed to TRF and VRF as well. I believe that there are guys here that have forgotten more about Rolex watches than most of the guys over there. Actually to be a successful modder and especially those folks who are building the real super frankens, you have to have more than a passing knowledge of the watch you are building, That knowledge is as essential to that individual who is trying to build something as close to perfect as possible. Most folks "over there" only need to have a superficial knowledge, unless of course you are a dealer, and your livelihood depends on you making the right decisions about a watch.   

Hmmm, well on a personal note I've been collecting and selling VIntage Rolex sports models for over 20 years now and in the 8 years that I've been on this particular forum I've actually learned morefrom the gents on here than I have from my fellow forum members over on VRF. My take is actually the chaps on here don't treat the whole vintage Rolex thing too seriously and actually enjoy the watches for what they are, they tell the time and don't get wet. I actually bought my first 1680 from a commercial oil rig diver who used to drink in my local pub and occasionally used his watch as a hammer! Ahhh £750.00 if I remember righty

There only watches in the end

I understand some of the responses to my comment above and see where you guys are coming from. I would agree that the average guy on the rep forums with for example 1000 posts and 3 years "experience" knows a lot more than the average gen owner on TRF with same stats. It's the really knowledgeable guys on TRF and VRF that make the difference though i think. They're certainly not the loudest and indeed are often pretty quiet but they are there and in my experience they have been welcoming and helpful when approached for advice. 

I started using TRF a few years ago and then quit because of the chumps/muppets that were there talking crap. It does indeed get tiring and repetitive. I started using the forum again though and took a new approach that yes a lot of it is "Awesome Sub!" type posts and there is a lot of "noise" but if you learn to apply a sort of quality filter once you know who's posts are worth reading then it becomes a lot more rewarding. 

I'm convinced that forum is full of boneheads (there are exceptions of course).

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=389532

The 5513 and the 116610 are completely different. Everything about the two are are miles apart. Haven't visited TRF in weeks and that's the first thing I see tonight.

Not sure why it bothers me, but it does. Ok. Rant over.

9150d17b395ff162d3d5b6a8a7229658.jpg

The old one looks like a classic Submariner. 16610 was the last one of its ilk.

The new one is just a bloated, boring and soulless piece.

Absolutely NOTHING desirable in the new fat Sub to me.

• Like 2

What's different about this one and the other 3.5 million 16610's that have been produced over the past few years.

I respectfully disagree with your comment on the knowledge level far exceeding the knowledge level here as opposed to TRF and VRF as well. I believe that there are guys here that have forgotten more about Rolex watches ...

What is different between the new models is what some of us will be obsessing about in another 50 years, even with potentially better records.

And yes.