When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need to return my watch for repair/replacement

RolloRon

Mike on a bike

I received an AP chrono and straight out of the box the minute counter didn't work. Next day the watch stopped completely. Where I live its impossible to get someone to look at it so my options are really limited.

Where are you based? I would not recommend sending it back to China given the customs risks AND long wait. 

I sent one piece back to Trusty, which was received is horrible condition.   You need to be very careful, follow the TD's instructions to the letter and have some valium on hand for keeping you patient throughout the process.

1. Be sure to request that the TD send you an address label in CHINESE, which you will add to the side of the box.

2. From the USA, I used USPS Priority Express, which cost me ~$40.   It showed delivered in 7 days.   

3. Even when it showed delivered, the TD did not acknowledge receiving it for several more days. 

4. The repairs took several more WEEKS.

5. Then the typical wait for the shipping back to me.   My return shipment originated in Hong Kong, so I'm guessing that's where Andrew has his repair shop.   

All in all, it took about 10 weeks for the round trip.   All the issues were addressed and the watch has worked fine since.   That being said, I would probably not do it again.    Take the time to find someone to service it in North America, or take SSTEEL up on his offer.   It'll be a lot less stressful, but you'll pay a few more $$$$$

Actually I live on an island so I'm pretty remote. I'm really interested to hear from others who have actually returned watches. Thanks mule play.

@ Rollo Ron. Mike on a bike is trying to save you hassle. If you look at people like Mike and Legend you'll see experienced members who talk sense and are willing to help you. Basically Mike was saying that you'll have twice the risk of sending to China with customs. Everyone here who gave advice did so with the best of intent. Personally I'd send to SSteel or another watchsmith, after all if you can post to China then you can post to the EU or USA for sure. You'd get a faster and possibly better service that way and your watch should run fine for a long time. But hey ho, it's your decision. 

• Like 3

Another factoid, the AP ROO has a notoriously unreliable movement. Trust me, I know from experience. Legend has one of mine that has been back and forth across the Pacific twice , and another that made three trips across the USA To a repair guy in PA., it's sitting on my desk, still not fixed !! Great paperweight.

I totally agree with MOB, sending back to China is fraught with problems,all of which were adequately discussed in the above posts. And like MOB said he will be the guy getting a PM for help when things go south. BTW in case you didn't know MOB is one of the best and most proactive moderators on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sent one piece back...

All in all, it took about 10 weeks for the round trip.   All the issues were addressed and the watch has worked fine since.   That being said, I would probably not do it again.    Take the time to find someone to service it in North America, or take SSTEEL up on his offer.   It'll be a lot less stressful, but you'll pay a few more $$$$$

Respectfully snipped the comment above to express my sentiments as well... my round trip took considerably more time than PC, but I agree wholly, I would not do it again.

Ok lets be honest about this. MOB first asked me a question then I answered him then he called me a Canadian Legend. So what was all that aboot eh? Anyways that's why I didn't thank him specifically. But then you started ganging up on me for some strange reason. But  regardless I humbly apologize to MOB and thank you for this great forum and I'll try to remember not to PM you.. But getting back to my issue yes I'm fully aware of the problems with shipping and customs and the like and yes I've read about a few who have lost watches but for the most part as long as you follow the TD's specific instructions then most people seem to eventually receive their watch back. Certainly no one has yet to reply to my thread re losing their watch. In my particular case I have to stick it in the mail to someone so it may as well be to China and I have probably a 90% chance of success.

Thanks again to everyone.

No, he didn't call you a "Canadian Legend", he was replying to Legend that you reside in Canada.  He has the IP tools to look that up, being a trusted Moderator here.

Good luck sending your watch to China.  Be sure to post pics of the repaired piece when it gets back.

Too funny!!!!!!!! 

No, he didn't call you a "Canadian Legend", he was replying to Legend that you reside in Canada.  He has the IP tools to look that up, being a trusted Moderator here.

Good luck sending your watch to China.  Be sure to post pics of the repaired piece when it gets back.