When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

franken-ish Tudor Prince

irate03

I've not been here for a while but I wanted to share something I put together recently.
It all started when I found this dial on the bay, cheap as chips. I took a gamble and then hunted for some hands and amazingly found the right set a few days later which I snapped up, the hands cost twice as much as the dial but the ball was now well and truly rolling.

Gen Tudor prince dial and hands. possibly reference 7909.

franky_tudor_1.jpg

franky_tudor_2.jpg

franky_tudor_3.jpg

Then I managed to find a case, after searching for rep options I decided something like a 36mm jmb explorer case would not work as the dial was a tad too small. After making some enquiries I found that an ideal case would be that of an old 34mm airking 5500. So the hunt went on and I found one again on the bay. To my amazement I won the auction which meant the hunt was not on for a gen 5.3mm crown

franky_tud_1.jpg

franky_tud_2.jpg

franky_tud_3.jpg

franky_tud_4.jpg

franky_tud_5.jpg

franky_tud_6.jpg

franky_tud_7.jpg

The movement I used was an old ETA 2783 which has the same CP and hour pinion size as the original tudor movement which I would have liked to use but I would have had to trade in a kidney for that.

The gen crown arrived, the movement ring has been modified.

franky_tudor_4.jpg

franky_tudor_5.jpg

franky_tudor_6.jpg

franky_tudor_7.jpg

So with the gen crown fitted I could now put it all together

franky_tudor_8.jpg

franky_tudor_9.jpg

franky_tudor_10.jpg

franky_tudor_11.jpg

franky_tudor_12.jpg

franky_tudor_13.jpg

franky_tudor_15.jpg

franky_tudor_16.jpg

franky_tudor_17.jpg

franky_tudor_18.jpg

franky_tudor_19.jpg

franky_tudor_20.jpg

franky_tudor_21.jpg

franky_tudor_22.jpg

franky_tudor_23.jpg

today a gen construction rivet bracelet arrived. AND IT LOOKS AMAZING !!!

franky_tudor_29.jpg

franky_tudor_30.jpg

franky_tudor_31.jpg

franky_tudor_32.jpg

franky_tudor_33.jpg

franky_tudor_34.jpg

franky_tudor_35.jpg

franky_tudor_36.jpg

franky_tudor_37.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meadowsweet_ said:

Awesome! Great eye for a dial many may have overlooked and the finished build is just perfectly understated. Wonderful work!

Btw, where did the bracelet come from? Looks nice...

I picked up the bracelet from ebay, it doesn't have a rolex clasp despite being constructed in the same way as oyster rivet bands. I have seen other old brands fitted with rivet bracelets so maybe that is the source. But  i'm damn pleased with it.

This Tudor is stunning !

I bought a gen 1002 case to built a 5500 explorer. I have two movements I can use for this. ETA 2788 and 2846. Can you tell me what movement ring modifications are necessary ?

2 hours ago, Bart Cordell said:

This Tudor is stunning !

I bought a gen 1002 case to built a 5500 explorer. I have two movements I can use for this. ETA 2788 and 2846. Can you tell me what movement ring modifications are necessary ?

emoji632.png

If the 1002 is the same inside as the 5500 you can use a standard eta movement ring . Raffles do two sizes, you need the smaller exterior diameter of the two. I used a 2783 which i think is thinner than a 2824 and 2836 so modding the ting depends on your stem alignment. I had to file two grooves in the ring so the movement tabs would screw down and fit under the lip in the case.

Awesome how everything came together. Looks beautiful! I was enticed by a similar project but I couldn't get past the 34mm on my 7.5" wrist unfortunately :(

I wish my dial aged as gracefully.

20160426_135000-1.jpg