When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updated shot of my collection. January 2008.

By-Tor

1-2.jpg

I was bored, so I took an updated shot of my collection. Excuse again the lousy photo (I really suck at group shots).

So many watches have come and gone, but these are the pieces I think that I've pretty much ended up with. Each and every one of them is an excellent piece. Rolexes are all quite rare and hard-to-find models (except the YM).

Finding the amazing franken-Explorer II was the most satisfying thing of 2007, probably during my whole rep collecting "career". As you can see I only buy reps of the "cheaper" watches. I'm an average guy, not the Sheikh of al-Azhar... and wearing a Patek Sky Moon Tourbillon is out of question. :D

I did similar post last September. See it here. I've managed to keep my collection in 8 watches, which is the limit for me. It's tough sometimes, but I like to keep it reasonably sized.

UPO -> Gone (it failed to capture my heart)

Ebel BTR -> Gone (not amazingly accurate, but still very nice rep for the money, but it was too thin for my tastes)

TAG Link -> Amazing rep, but it received no wrist time after I purchased the Aquaracer.

Since September I bought another "Noob" GMT from a fellow member, ExpII from Job, and then Yacht-Master from Narikaa to replace them. I'm quite surprised how much I like the YM, I never thought I would.

I've soon owned the "Bond" SMP for 3 years, and I like it just as much as the day I purchased it. Same can be said about the chrono version. My Broad Arrow is in my brother's possession now, but I have the option to buy it back... once again. :D

I've never been as satisfied with my collection as now, and I think I could survive 2008 without buying one single watch. I can't make any promises though. :)

Here's a "thumbnail view" of the studio shots I've taken of them.

coll2-1.jpgcoll1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gorgeous watches and excellent photography as well. IMHO what you're missing is some pams, or at least some leather bands to mix things up a little bit. Great looking stuff though!

Thanks mate.

Whenever I post my collection, everybody is always saying the same. For some reason I just can't get into straps and PAMs. I don't know why, but they just don't seem to grab me at all.

Thanks again. :)

Nice work, mate.

Your collection is very ... By-Tor. It's amazing you've pared it down to just eight watches, especially considering there's two GMTs there. However, I reckon you'll get a 42mm black-bezeled Planet Ocean. I'm nearly there myself. ;)

@Pugs: Yeah, I'm pretty amazed myself too... considering that I've owned 35-40 reps. But where do you need so many watches, really?

I already owned a 42mm PO, but I'd definitely buy one again (if they release a double-AR version with a decent bracelet).

Nice photos, as usual! ;)

You're very lucky, twice lucky. You own 2 noob gmts :wub:

ENVY :angry::bangin:

:D

Indeed. Those are perfect bases to do almost anything. Very rare Rolex replica. Modifiable to 99% perfection, just like MBW's. It's beyond me why the factories stopped producing this gem.

Thanks again, all!

The Noob GMT looks ace, normaly don't even consider Rolex too.

Where did you pick it up from?

Other came from bklm1234, his connection found one piece from China. He then performed some mods on it (replaced the bezel, did the cg's, aligned the cyclops).

Another one came from a fellow member. I performed the same mods myself (I had an extra bezel). Exchanging the bezel is essential, as the original one that comes with the rep doesn't have the sharp teeth a'la gen.

I'm actually debating of getting correct hand stack movements for these both (when the new movement comes out). SELs, rehaut, dial, cyclops position and bezel are are virtually perfect.

1a.jpg

I'm actually debating of getting correct hand stack movements for these both (when the new movement comes out). SELs, rehaut, dial, cyclops position and bezel are are virtually perfect.

1a.jpg

Never been a big fan of watches with colored bezels like the GMT, but I may have to rethink that.

Great photos of a great collection.

Nice work, By-Tor.

I can tell by looking at your collection that you're in the 'mature' phase of collecting. I like the fact that you're happy with under 10 watches- that's been my most recent discovery, realizing that I don't need 20 watches as part of my collection to be happy.

A lot of it comes down to knowing yourself, and learning what you like. I had to go through quite a few watches before I learned my own tastes, and that can be an expensive process. I'm still glad to have had a full exposure to the rep world, but now that I'm settled, you couldn't 'make' me go crazy on a watch-buying frenzy...whereas before, you wouldn't have been able to stop it!

If MBK were to come out with a vintage 1675, I would be a happy guy...but my Rolex collection is complete as it is now.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just browsed the "My collection" area and found my own thread. And I just realized that it's been 8 months since I bought a new watch.

Must be some kind of record among the addicts, eh?

Well, I cheated a little... I bought a chs 16710 to replace my old ichs (which I traded)... but that doesn't really count. It wasn't a "new" watch. :)

Long time ago I promised myself to keep my watch count at 8. It's difficult, but I'm sure it would go totally out of hand otherwise. I'm down to 7 watches now... so I have one space to fill.

This is pretty much what I still have (minus the YM, gave it to a good forum friend). If you forget the YM, my newest watch purchase is from 14 months ago. :o

Why? I don't know. I'm simply so satisfied with the ones I have. And I'm like Ubi... I don't want any watches that just collect the dust in the drawer. But I think it's time to buy that missing one now... I just don't know which one.

I still enjoy this hobby as much as I did back in early 2005. Getting new stuff all the time isn't necessary... you can just enjoy the nice ones you've collected.

What's your longest time without buying a new one?

:)

What you've explained above is exactly how I feel these days! I myself have never wanted a huge collection, but rather a very close, tightly focused core of watches.

To me, this hobby can be extremely fast paced, and it's very easy to forget a new acquisition as soon as (or even before) it's received as the attention might already have been shifted to the next target! It's one of the 'problems' we all face with having so many fun toys out there, priced within reason and relatively easy to obtain :) So, instead, I like to take things as slow as I can (not saying that the scenario mentioned above doesn't ever happen to me; it does). I like to try and enjoy what I have, and keeping the collection small allows me to do that a little easier. I think that's honestly why a lot of watches tend to achieve the status of dust collector- Because the intake of new pieces seems to out pace the actual enjoyment process of wearing a watch from a large collection.

But that's only my personal philosophy and view in how I approach this, uhhh... Addiction. YMMV :)

Quality not quantity...I think someone once said.

First few years seems like I bought one rep per month, and now I have 16 black dialed, ss

sport watches that sit in a case, unworn.

In the last 18 months I have purchased only 3 pieces, guess what, black dialed ss sport watches.

EL's 3717 (wear it occassionally), MBW/MBK PPN (daily beater), and my most recent purchase, the BSOH (the most beautiful diver ever?).

All the rest of the Pam's and rollis, and Omega's just sit around.

The beauty of rep collecting is that for what used to be a few hundred bucks a piece you can eventually figure out what you really like. Prior to the purchase of the 3717 I had never sent a watch to The Zigmeister, however after the purchase of that watch, the PPN and the Heritage all went to Mr. Z for service and a bit of modding. That said, suddenly the hobby began to get a bit more expensive than just a few hundred bucks per.

What I REALLY like is the PPN. It only took 4 years of buying reps for me to figure out that 16mm thick chronos weren't really working for my 6.75'' wrist. Eventually I will sell all the rest that sit collecting dust.

Guys like By-Tor and Ubi have long been my inspiration.

I never would've guessed you had less than 8 watches.

-I'm surprised not to see even one SS Sub/SD.

-I have to disagree with you on the YM somewhat. Like you, I try to keep true to the watch to income theme. The YM doesnt seem to fit very well, used prices are tight, and new price tag is in the $9,xxx range. It feels odd in my collection, personally. You don't have it anymore, so a moot point.

- You like blue and steel. :D

I never would've guessed you had less than 8 watches.

-I'm surprised not to see even one SS Sub/SD.

-I have to disagree with you on the YM somewhat. Like you, I try to keep true to the watch to income theme. The YM doesnt seem to fit very well, used prices are tight, and new price tag is in the $9,xxx range. It feels odd in my collection, personally. You don't have it anymore, so a moot point.

- You like blue and steel. :D

Yeah the YM in particular is funny like that in my experience. I had the gen YM and I got the sense that it was perceived as a pretentious watch or something - weird. I would be in client meetings and the vibe on it was weird. I think any especially shiny Rolex has some kind of stigma. So I get a UN MMD in the same "color" combo as the YM mostly because it is more interesting and susequestly sold the YM. Still blingy in the same way and even bigger in terms of size and overall wrist presence. Now the first reaction is that it turns heads in the same way, but when they find out it isn't a Rolex it gains nods and acceptance in some new way even though it is in the same price range. Watches are weird that way in my experience.

In my line of work fancy watches are common place so I'm never fighting the "Hey I wonder if that is a fake because I wonder whether that guy could afford that watch..." thing so that is why I find the so called "Rolex " phenom to be particularly interesting. It is like people thought my YM was still a fake even though they KNEW I could afford it. Weird huh? I would get comments like "Nice knockoff" and stuff like that. I bet if you asked a lot of non-watch people how much a stell YM cost they might think it cost much more than it does maybe? Meanwhile I wear an AP Millenary with the same crew and they don't even notice it and it costs twice as much as a YM. Go figure...