When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wearing Reps to the Gym

Victoria

IMG_0135.jpg

:wub:

I was about to buy this watch on the *Bay:

2ca0_1.JPG

Listed at less than $50:

"Casio BG1001-7VD Baby-G Ladies Illuminator Watch NEW

TANNING TIMER - SHOCK & WATER RESISTANT - WORLD TIME"

Water resitant to 200m. Plus a Tanning timer (good grief).

But guess what? It's not a gen Casio! Can you beat that? They make rep watches of CASIOS.

Finally, I'm going with this, the Casio Baby-G Poison in white:

41Z1QFADB5L._SS500_.jpg

I'm so hating this. I really want an IWC CD. -_-

P.S.: Who WEARS these Nikes? Barf.

31O52GAnJfL._AA280_.jpg

@Pugwash: Thanks! That's sound advice.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word of advice: DO NOT wear replicas in the sauna. In fact, do not wear any metal watches in the sauna. Water-resistant watches are designed to remain water-resistant underwater, not in hot steam. Metal expands, seals open, steam gets in.

Me? I'd wear something plastic and comfortable. Think practicality, not style.

I did a post a while ago about which watch was best to run with,,,,basically, if you are logical, it should be a very light quartz,,,,of course, I thought about it and almost picked one up,,,but just couldn't do it. I run with a seiko 007, and this is the collection that I wear to the gym (not all at once, I'm not totally crazy), the smallest is 42 and the largest is 48mm

collectionrm0.jpg

collectionrm0.jpg

Chris, I did a search just now, and indeed both you (and I!) had posted about similar topics. Like you, I just can't do it. I can't buy that Casio above...at least, not tonight.

Stylish it may be, well for a quartz -- practical, no doubt. But ay, a Casio.

If I were in a gen forum, that's one thing. But as rep watch owners, maybe you understand where I'm coming from...

Anyway, thanks guys. See you tomorrow. :)

I wear these and they are both gens.

I like to know how long I have been doing cardio and dont like to try and find a clock. So I just set the bezel and go from their..

IMG_0135.jpg

I guess I don't get the whole "wearing gen Rolexes" thing to the gym. If you accidentally bang it against a stack of weights as your walking by you could do some serious damage to it. If you are doing cardio, 99.9% of the time there is a timer on the machine you are using. I think its a bit frivolous, thats all. Plus, if you can tell elapsed time on the GMT bezel by just glancing, please post the process because I'm sure they would sticky that. Otherwise, its easier to find a clock.

... and you'll have practically no style...

Not for you Mademoiselle Victoria... :p

Practical and stylish...great job, Victoria. I'm sure it will look great.

41Z1QFADB5L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by stevie7s

How ... seizieme of you. ;)

How much style would you have if your bezel insert fell out due to cheap glue or if your watch misted up?

^_^

It seems therefore that a gen is the only way to go.

Victoria, that new hobby will cost you more than expected. It's always like this, anyway... :lol:

I never ever, under any circumstance, wear any wristwatch to the gym. I can't count the number of times I have bumped my wrist against something, or someone has bumped something into me, and I always say "thank goodness for the no-watch rule or there would be a lot of little pieces on the floor right now!"

Well with the beael I set it at the minute hand when I start and when the minute hand gets about 3/4 around the dial I usually stop. I dont like to look at the timer on the machine I throw a towel over it so I really never move it to look. The machine I really like to use the eliptical, is right behind a post and I have almost fallen off trying to look at the clock.

It is just a watch though gen or rep. I even use them when I put my roof on when I built the garage and for usual yard work. If you are really afraid to wreck something why even bother buying the damn thing in the first place. Plus I have hit a weight stack with it and it did not really do much to the watch at all.

I dont take them off my wrist for anything really. why not wear them to the gym sounds stupid not too. They are sport watches!!!!

I go to the gym every day and I cant figure out why someone would want to wear a watch to the gym. If I had to, I guess I would wear a Nike or Casio digital for the fear of hurting one of my reps and to be sure of water resistance in the shower/sauna.

I wear my genunie Rolex Sub and my genuine Panerai to the gym a lot... whether I'm on the machines, using the free-weights and/or in the sauna/shower/steam room....no matter.

They are frickin watches not safe queens....they are used to tell time in between sets for a more aerobic versus anerobic work out....I only wear the bracelet and rubber straps models to the gym or for running as I don't like the sweat stain buildup on my leather straps doh......plus, I need to know the time so I can either

a. get my azz back to work

b. get an early jump on traffic for the jaunt home

c. i don't like to leave my watches whether fake or gen lying in the "locked" locker....

Now drop and give me twenty..... :p

I wear my genunie Rolex Sub and my genuine Panerai to the gym a lot... whether I'm on the machines, using the free-weights and/or in the sauna/shower/steam room....no matter.

They are frickin watches not safe queens....they are used to tell time in between sets for a more aerobic versus anerobic work out....I only wear the bracelet and rubber straps models to the gym or for running as I don't like the sweat stain buildup on my leather straps doh......plus, I need to know the time so I can either

c. i don't like to leave my watches whether fake or gen lying in the "locked" locker....

You're right there tech! I can't remember the time not having a watch on........maybe when the lady friend complains about it............

It is just a watch though gen or rep. I even use them when I put my roof on when I built the garage and for usual yard work. If you are really afraid to wreck something why even bother buying the damn thing in the first place. Plus I have hit a weight stack with it and it did not really do much to the watch at all.

I dont take them off my wrist for anything really. why not wear them to the gym sounds stupid not too. They are sport watches!!!!

I guess my gym has better clock placement?? :huh:

As far as the gen vs. rep thing, I just think that we spend so much time making sure our reps are as close to gen as possible and we spend lots of money on gens(if you're fortunate enough to have one) that wearing them to the gym is just...silly. I'm sure that if you hit your wrist on a weight stack or the corner of a machine that regardless of it being gen or rep, it would not fair well. If you need a $2500-$6000. gen to tell whether its time to jump back in and do another set, then by all means, go right ahead. You worked hard for it, it's your money.

I am in no way saying that you should keep the watches in the safe and never wear them out, nor am I condoning leaving them in an unlocked locker during your stay at the gym. If you MUST wear them, then of course, do so. I am fortunate enough to go to the gym after work and on weekends so I have time to go home and change and put my watches back. If you don't have that option and are working out at lunch then where you put your watch is a definite concern. My suggestion, buy a combination lock and a cheap Casio or Timex and keep it in your gym bag. That way you will have no worries when you are out there "pumping iron".

I wear my Rolexes, gen, franken, and rep, to the gym. But I must say, I prefer to wear the reps, like my noobmariner, just in case I do happen to bump into a machine or weights. I'd much prefer to total out a $200 watch over a $2-4000 watch. I also wear the reps for yard work, home repairs, etc. They don't call em beaters for nothing- save the good watches for non-active occasions.

Some Suuntos actually have a sapphire crystal, although I don't think they make a model perfectly suited to the gym.

I was thinking about the Suunto T1 or T3 with the heart rate monitor. They seem well suited to the gym but I don't think they have a sapphire crystal. The other models I have looked at, like the X9i, were mineral glass.

Just curious, to the folks who don't wear a watch for fear of damage, what's your workout comprise of? I'm a huge proponent of compound movements like deadlifts, squats, etc..and I've never put my watch in any mortal danger even though I'm a huge klutz.

Well, I can tell you that my workout is comprised of a great mix of free weights, cable machines, and light cardio. I work out with a light weight and higher repetitions to ensure my heart rate stays elevated throughout my workout.

My gym watch comes into contact with edges of machines while switching plates, weight stacks while walking through a crowded area, and the small area in and around the weights on a selecterize weight stack.

So you see, the slightest bang on one of these very unforgiving surfaces could do damage to a watch of any caliber, why take the risk with one you worked so hard to get?