When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Love

JoJo35

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YEAH BABY!! :tu:

Hey tell me more about your gilt 1675 dial. I'm thinking pretty hard about doing up my gen with a gilt facelift, gathering opinions from different folks for what's nice and what's not so nice.

Why did you choose non-chapter ring gilt vs. chapter ring, and which is more appropriate for, say, a 1964 GMT Master?

This is the one that's gonna get gilt-ified, but on a new blank dial... I'm keeping this uber-rare dial to the side

gmt1_sm.jpg

Hi Nanuq,

I have to say the CWP redial turned out oretty nice. The font spacing is not 100% on but I wonder if that has more to do with my rep dial being larger than a gen. The gloss finish looks great, it's not glass smooth so it adds some additional patina to the watch.

I considered a chapter ring on the redial but I was concerned that the proportions might be off again due to the larger rep dial so I opted not to go that route. I'm no expert but I I'd say a chapter ring on a '64 GMT is certainly appropriate. I've seen many examples even later 60's in a gilt with the chapter ring although they are often in a PCG case.

very nice Laz

The pearl matches very well to the dial and hands.

You guys got me all excited about these vintage Subs again and last night i pulled apart my comex 5514 project again and now its got pointed crown guards.. i dont care if its correct or not but it looks DAMN sexy. Now that i have the dial out, i am going to figure out how far I want to vintageize it.. Im changing the insert also.. the last one was too bleached.. this one will be a little blacker. I'll try to get some pics soon.. still working on the CG metal finishing and sanding..

basicly this....

5514 thin (submariner size) case with working HEV

vintage style square crown guards

drilled lug holes

clarks t-19

modded insert

gen crown/clarks tube

gen 2mm springbars.

MBW93150 bracelet modded

Slowbeat 2846 ETA with datewheel removed.

stock dial unmodded so far.. might even change this to an unbranded comex 5514..

I want to get a good stamped comex caseback also OR a plain sub caseback.. not sure yet.

amazing works guys!

You should all be very proud!

I am always inspired by this thread.

Dizzy, sounds like a great project.

As far as your crown guards are concerned, I think you are correct.

To the best of my knowledge, only the early 1960's 5512 and 5513's had the pointed crown guards.

The 5514's were limited to 150 pieces in production in 1967!

In any event, shaping them is not an easy task to perform by any means and I am anticipating pictures.

Mind sharing the mods to your mbw bracelet? Is it riveted?

cheers!

Edited by CharlieUK

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone even remember if they posted in this thread? :lol: I couldn't even find many pics of Rolexes. Here are a couple of random pics:

Couple of great whites, a Red Sub and DW in the watch box. By the way that seconds at 6 Daytona still works. They all have the usual gen crown, tube, crystal and occasional dial and watchmeister date overlays. Gotta have those flat 3's. :D Needless to say Ziggy case work, spring bars, etc.

IMGP2403.jpg

5512 with a bunch of gen parts including dial, slow beat movement, etc. from Falco. Currently in the great North for a spruce up:

Falco5512010.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

"Vintage Love"

comex 5514

9315 bracelet with 93150 clasp

24-703 crown and tube

19 low dome

Cartel 5514 comex dial (but looking for matching 5513 replacement)

gen spring bars

ETA 2846 with datewheel removed

CIMG1636.jpg