When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Martini Shaken, Not Stirred

omni

I'm a serious martini man and needed a colder martini so this was what I bought on Ebay for $500 and fixed up. Came from a downsized paint shop in Kentucky. Though you RWG guys would get a smile since I poured it in front of my watch winder. Enjoy it, I sure am!

Cheers, - Omni B)

That's very cool. You seem to be quite a connoisseur. You should wear a no-cg Bond Sub when you're preparing the drink though. :tu:

I don't drink any alcohol (except very occasionally) but that machine would be perfect for my protein shakes.

Where did the vermouth go? Did I miss it?

I tend to pour the vermouth in with the ice then strain it so it just lightly flavours the ice. Then add the gin. Oh, and I prefer stirred, but I'd definitely like to try one of these Red Devil martinis.

Hi Pugwash: If you missed it, I have a small spray mister I use at the end of the video, that's the vermouth. I tend to agree with you and Chieftang regarding gin martinis (which I also consume), they should be stirred in a glass pitcher as shaking will bruise the flavor of the botanicals, however I'm in the camp that vodka is also considered a martini, which I prefer shaken and very cold.

• 1 month later...

Very creative Omni and I got a good laugh. Although I can't help but wonder what that does to the vodka. I too like shaken 'tini's but it is generally accepted we don't want to shake it too much as it can alter the composition of the spirits. In other words, true connoisseurs take care not to bruise the vodka or gin. But I'm sure of one thing and that is at least you have the coldest Martini's in your neghborhood.

As a side note I also have to add that I'm not much of a Belvedere guy. My partner is though. He loves it. I usually stick with Goose which I prefer with olives. I also like Ciroc alot lately, but only with fruit and never with olives in that case. With Belvedere, I always taste this weird woody bite on the finish. He says he doesn't taste that. Funny how our palets are all different.

Anyway, congrats on your invention and let me know if you taste a difference in your favorite vodkas if you shake them less. I know I do - even with a shaker if I overdo it by hand. But again, you may not - or even if you do the added coldness is more important. Nothing like cold vodka. Yum...

As a side note I also have to add that I'm not much of a Belvedere guy. My partner is though. He loves it. I usually stick with Goose which I prefer with olives. I also like Ciroc alot lately, but only with fruit and never with olives in that case. With Belvedere, I always taste this weird woody bite on the finish. He says he doesn't taste that. Funny how our palets are all different.

I'll agree about shaking gin, has a lot of botanicals that get messed up from shaking. But I don't see that logic with Vodka, only the slight essence of aftertaste is what separates the finer smoother vodkas, they don't get bruised by vigorous shaking and still come through, even on the paintshaker. I'm a rye vodka fan, thus I prefer Polish vodkas a lot and probably why you get that woody finish that I enjoy. Others that I like a lot over Belvedere is Hanger One, followed by Ultimat (blend of 3 grains).

Yeah Hanger One is great. I forgot about that one. Woody, yes, but in a different way than Belvedere which is kind of oaky. It is definitely a flaw in my taste buds not yours. I have many friends who swear by it. I also might add that I don't like many Chardonnays and they tend to be oaky as well so there must be something about oak that doesn't agree with me.

In any case, your invention is cool for sure - and yes bruising with gin is more of an issue, but I do taste differences depending on how much vodka has been shaken - and certainly the source of the ice as well. I know bartenders that swear by spring water for high end martinis and others that say mineral water is best believe it or not. I don't know how much I could buy into that but i sure do like drinking pretty much any fine vodka any way it comes within reason! But anyway, I would agree that the over-shaking phenomenom is far more dramitic in gin.

Cheers!

I'll agree about shaking gin, has a lot of botanicals that get messed up from shaking. But I don't see that logic with Vodka, only the slight essence of aftertaste is what separates the finer smoother vodkas, they don't get bruised by vigorous shaking and still come through, even on the paintshaker. I'm a rye vodka fan, thus I prefer Polish vodkas a lot and probably why you get that woody finish that I enjoy. Others that I like a lot over Belvedere is Hanger One, followed by Ultimat (blend of 3 grains).

I also might add that I don't like many Chardonnays and they tend to be oaky as well so there must be something about oak that doesn't agree with me.

Robbie, have you tried the new "un-oaked" Chardonnays now being sold? Seems to be the new thing since Chardonnay is becoming passe now but they are more expensive because they have taken the oak out of the process. They are pretty smooth. Funny, since my geezer age bracket has forced me into the low sodium, low-cholesterol seniors diet, the same thing happens when I buy food they take stuff out of, "less costs more".