When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what is the most expensive watch you've seen in the wild?

deltatahoe

so i was out playing golf last saturday and spotted a guy in the restaurant enjoying a post-round beer, sporting a vintage paul newman daytona. i got a pretty decent look at it; it was either a genuine or a high quality (ie. DW or similar) replica. given the wealth in the area and quality of the golf course, if i were to guess i'd say 50/50 chance it was a genuine. needless to say, i was a little surprised to see such a rare watch being worn in such a random, casual setting.

this made me think, what is the most rare/expensive watch you've seen 'out in the wild'?

deltatahoe

When I went to interview with a few IB's the people wore Rolex DayDates, I've seen an AP and Omegas were also common.

At our university, a lot of people have either the Tag F1/Link Non-Chrono/Digital display model (Can't remember the name). I've also seen a few 007 SMPs and IWC Portuguese at a poker tournament.

I'm spoiled as many of you know. It so happens that one of my oldest and dearest friends - maybe even my best friend actually, has one of the largest collections in my state (and in the country for that matter). Two of his pieces come to mind. The Breguet Double Tourbillion (44MM / 20 pieces per year limited / $337,000 USD). The world's first and only rotating dial double tourbillion. It has two tourbillons which work independently of each other and turn around the dial every 12 hours. Breguet has patented this mechanism of two tourbillon movements coupled with 2 differentials: one commands the top plate which rotates and another which commands the arming of the mainspring. The movement has 570 parts...

Breguet_double_Tourbillon.jpg

breguetdoublerotate.jpg

breguetdoubleback.jpg

and the Ulysse Nardin Ghengis Khan (42MM / 30 pieces a year limited / $490,000 USD). It is actually more classy and amazing than the double in a really artsy way. It just seems like a total one off - handmade. Just makes your heart warm in a way that is touch to describe. And the sound! Oh that beautiful sound. Best repeater I have ever heard! It was introduced in 2002 beyond all considerations of practicability, a piece of art more than a mere timepiece. The world's first wristwatch featuring a Westminster chime with minute repeater, automatons and tourbillon escapement. A dial made of star dotted onyx has four figures, hand carved in gold. The figures show Mongolian warriors swinging weapons. Each time the Westminster chimes or the repeater is engaged, the figures are fighting with swords or trying to catch a small ring with a spear while riding a horse. The tourbillon is actually integrated into the aventurine dial. The dial has opaque and translucent crystals that use fire in molten glass, aventurine scintillates, and subtyl flecked with all possible shades of red, yellow and grey. In a phrase, this piece is just sickeningly nice...

ghengiskhan.jpg

Both would literally level you to the ground by even touching them. They sure have me. :wub:

I routinely ask him if I can "Pet the sexy tourby's" when I go to his house. He gets annoyed, but I bring my loupe and stare at them for as long as I can get away with. :D

The saddest part is he could care less to look at them with a loupe. They sit in the custom cabinet along with the other nearly 200 pieces in the collection now mostly. He does actually wear the double sometimes though as he likes the innovative look of it, but doesn't really get blown out by why it is so cool other than how it looks... :rolleyes:

Over the years I have worked with guys with extensive Breguet and Patek collections.So I have been fortunate enough to see any number of tourbillons and other ridiculously priced watches during the regular workday. I also have seen virtually everything imaginable having sold a very few items over a 20 year period at auction and making it a point to maintain a nice relationship with the heads of the major horological departments at the auction houses. I can say with a straight face that I have had the opportunity to try on seven figures worth of watches. :lol:

My grandfathers 18K and platinum Patek with a moon phase form the 1940's. I used to wear it to court and special occassions. Before inheriting it they tried to auction it at Christies 7 years ago. Bidding went to $74K then ended with it unsold. Reserve was $95k. It was stolen from my house along with all my other watches (Gen and Reps) and gun collection in March of 2008. My insurance co. gave me a whopping check of $3k as it wasn't separately insured. c'est la vie.

Aside from that I have a client who wears a Mike Tyson edition Rolex he purchased from Harry Winston Jewelers in NY for I believe $175K. It looks silly.

That I've noticed, a TT Sub (blue dial) Before I really 'got into watches', I went to an equestrian event called 'Hickstead' a few years in a row with my parents (it was worth going to check out all the posh totty in riding gear :lol: ) and given the people who were there, I probably saw several 'high end watches' without realizing it :lol:

Not many can afford a Jones, Pug. That is a pricey piece at $31,500 retail. Gotta love the rep at $168 though! Besides, for a fine, larger movement strapped classic dress watch there are so many other choices for far less money. If you can stand an automatic a standard 7-days Porto gets the job done in WG for ten grand less, or in steel for twenty grand less at retail. Not that it quite captures the feel though - although those are similar shape and feel. Still, the FA Jones in platinum is a classic for sure.