When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think of my "Stealth" custom PAM 212?

RWG Technical

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, what to do...what to do... :huh:

I have this paint in almost the exact same colour and looking at your picture I am very tempted to do it this way...I can paint the seconds hand and also the chrono subdial. I have to do some thinking on this one.

RG

What's to think about Zig? The fact you already have the paint colour.....il segno del dio, no?

Hell, if you do, I may even buy the thing from you ;)

More proof that you are the MASTER! Is there anything you can't do?

It looks incredible. However, to fully appreciate it you will need to send it to me. I will gladly provide my mailing address...heck, I'll even pop for postage.

The more I see of your work the harder it is for me to figure out what to send you.

Amazing watch - you joke about Sig Bonati reading this, but he really should - rather than churning out some of the nasty modern PAM's that were shown at SIHH, the should at least consider something like this - the stealth look goes back to the good 'ol Rambo 202A days!

A guy on the 'risti board DLC/PVD coated his 212 case as well.... but I really like your version a LOT more with the blackened lume! In fact, Bonati should tear a page from your book -- its perfect. It also reminds me of the all-black Hublot or the Sinn U1 stealth pictured here:

sinn-u-stealth-and-tempus-u1.jpg

Wow that watch is AMAZING! I love the way the lume looks against the dial and I'd humbly suggest doing the tip of the chrono hand in Ferrari red +SL and maybe the "ball" at the bottom of the the chrono subseconds hands in red? Or the tip? Idk you're the expert!!

ManOhManOhMan...

Rob, that is friggin SICK! :o What an amazing custom job! ^_^ I know I can't afford a gen 317 when they ever come out, but I've been thinking about PVDing a gen used 212. Thanks for making MY DAY with that photo The Zigmeister :victory: Now to start dreaming again

dave

Well I think I am going to blue the large seconds hand, actually I am going to try and blue it the real way, with my microtorch...not sure how the hand will react to the heat but it should be able to be blued the natural way.

I am quite surprised by the responses, actually I hesitated to even show it because I thought everyone would think I finally sniffed too much Super Lume binder :)

As soon as I get the hand blued, or painted if that doesn't work out, I will post the updated pics.

Since I have it apart, I will slip a non lumed 212 dial in the case so you can see how it looks.

I'll try and get this done between now and the weekend...

RG

Since I have it apart, I will slip a non lumed 212 dial in the case so you can see how it looks.

I'll try and get this done between now and the weekend...

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.

I did find this however @ Paneristi. Dan Dubinski a member/dealer who provides a PVD service. Though his PVD looks terrible compared to yours.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/mess...%28ddubinsky%29

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

This finish on thie 112 he also did looks 100x better than the 212 and more like yours with the 'grey' look to it.

IMG_1242_s.jpg

Edited by elisiX

I am open to suggestions, actually Red may go better with the black grey combo...

On just the tip or the complete hand...or something else...

RG

Looks great R. Two things:

- I wonder what doing the minute hand in red might look like. Kinda like an IWC vibe - like my Ti Aquatimer?

Aquatimer3r.jpg

- Second, that is weird about the consistemcy of the lume. Have you talked to RC about it? Is there some reason that it absolutely must be that way in other words? The reason being is that if you can't do it perfect none of their other customers can either and what is the point of having a product out there that can never be right. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great and totally fine, but as you point out not perfect in an industry thriving on perfection. Just curious...

Man what a great look though. I've seen some stealth sandwich PAM's homage watches before, but something about that lume in the sausage configuration makes it all the more sexy...

We need someone to do some photoshop experiments with putting different colors on the various hand locations now and have a poll...

Thanks for the info on the PVD and pics of that 212. At $475 it's not cheap...glad I have my own source and don't have to go through him.

@ RobbieG

I really don't know what way to go with the hands...the blue pics look good, but red and black also goes together well.

I am no photoshop expert, I wonder if someone here can do up some variants of different colours on the hands, and even the subdial ticks (as shown in the other picture). This is all experimental and I am willing to try anything to get nice results.

On the Super Lume difficulty, it's simply the consistancy of this particular lume, in order to get the black look, whatever they mixed with it doesn't seem to blend smoothly with the binder. I am going to try mixing some of my gloss binder to add slickness to it...

I haven't asked RC about what I experienced, my guess is that the majority of thier customers are genuine producers who have and are using either Stylo Pen's for application, or silk screening the lume.

It seems as if I may have created a monster, I think I will have to make a few of these up and offer them to the members of RWG, if there is interest of course...:)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

RG

I would definitely be interested in an all stealth version if I had some money! I've been looking at the B&R Phantoms (although I'm never going to be able to afford a gen one and the rep lume is too grey imo) and this is a much more interesting prospect!

Top work! :D

I haven't asked RC about what I experienced, my guess is that the majority of thier customers are genuine producers who have and are using either Stylo Pen's for application, or silk screening the lume.

Ahhh, I wondered about that. I mean obviously gen guys don't apply it by hand. Would you mind explaining how a typical machine process applies the stuff? It seems like it could be just as difficult to get a machine process right as it is by hand in a way.