When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches I just don't 'get'

Member X

Morning all!

It's early, I've not had caffeine yet lol, and in my fuzzy headed state I was sitting here wondering... am I alone in just not 'getting' some of the seemingly more sought after watches, reps or gen?

For example, the famed Hublot Big Bang... What's so special about it? It doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The design is nothing special in my eyes and even the reps seem overly expensive! lol

Also, the AP ROOs - what's with them? Another style that isn't groundbreaking or particularly stunning to look at, just very expensive as a gen.

On the flip side, I never used to 'get' Rolexes but recently I've seen the attraction - clean and simple lines, understated, classic pieces that look good years from now rather than just being a passing trend.

That's just the odd couple that spring to mind at this time in the morning lol

Anyone else got any more?

:)

Hi

I agree with your sentiment very much. I just can't get myself to like Hublot and APs at all. I know they're very popular so I'll only use nice wording :) I just don't understand their design.

I came here for IWC originally, which I like very much pro 2002 phase. Some newer models grew on me after a while like 3717. I used to not like Rolex and PAMs, that changed rapidly on this forum!

But with the two first mentioned brands I fear it will never make click.

Val.

The AP ROO is actually very nice :drinks:

I actually liked the HUBLOT at the start but not so sure anymore

I actually have problems with finding most CORUMs, ROLEXes and BREITELINGS desireable...even if they are of great quality, have excellent movements, are almost universally reqognized and maker show excellent attention to details but just not my cup of tea....

Regarding replicas I just can get those with the smiley sun (when there should be a moon phase). In general I dont get and I do not like watches with complications that are faux...

Edited by Gran

Not to single out any brands, but watches with too many screws, nuts, bolt like things all over the bezel. Especially if they are "decorative" and serve no real purpose.

It reminds of "Pop-up" headlights on cars (unreliable, prone to breaking, etc). Sooner or later, especially in the rep world these things are going to fall off and get lost.

I'm with Mr. X as well. I can't for the life of me fathom why the AP ROOs and Hublots have gained such popularity. I see no finesse or style in them at all, just bling, bling, bling all the way (black is, of course, the new bling). I'd like to see an AP non-ROO though - I might actually consider buying one if it's done well.

Grahams? Now they're just plain grotesque.

Tons. Panerai being number 1.

Yes your right mate......Panerai is Number 1!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: But thats not what hes asking!!!;):whistling:

Personally dont like the IWC, or Tags or RXWs

I wasn't a fan of the Breitlings either until recently when Lani posted his SOH Chrono. That thing is nice. Otherwise, most Breits are are too busy and cluttered on the dial.

Can't give you an explanation mate...and I have already downed tons of caffeine....to each their own but I never got into IWC's except the Aquatimer line or the Big Pilots...I was lucky enough to try on the gens in the boutique so that is where that change of heart occurred...

I love the AP ROOs and ROs but not their Millenary line.

Grahams are very cool in the display window...but not on my wrist.

And most of us said the same thing about Panerai early on.....blech what is that tuna can?

A little story for ya...I was in Florence (Firenze) back in 1994 on holiday...and yes, I did see one of those "ginormous, ugly, monstrosities" proudly being displayed in a shop there and commented to my wife.."what hell is that crap"...some italian/euro fashion statement going all wrong...

I've kicked myself ever since...who knew.... :cry2:

Panarai by far, I mean I think they are a ok looking watch, but they all look the same! I don't understand the concept of having a panarai collection. Its like having the same watch 6 times but the slightest of differences... but to each their own I guess. Not big on the AP's either.

Morning all!

It's early, I've not had caffeine yet lol, and in my fuzzy headed state I was sitting here wondering... am I alone in just not 'getting' some of the seemingly more sought after watches, reps or gen?

For example, the famed Hublot Big Bang... What's so special about it? It doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The design is nothing special in my eyes and even the reps seem overly expensive! lol

Also, the AP ROOs - what's with them? Another style that isn't groundbreaking or particularly stunning to look at, just very expensive as a gen.

On the flip side, I never used to 'get' Rolexes but recently I've seen the attraction - clean and simple lines, understated, classic pieces that look good years from now rather than just being a passing trend.

That's just the odd couple that spring to mind at this time in the morning lol

Anyone else got any more?

:)

nakortheblue is is on the money, but in this case, I agree with the OP 100% exactly - its uncanny! I was so keen on the HBB as i joined, but then I got all Meh about them. Ap's - same.

Bbut then,a I thought tht about pams as well ITB, maybe I'll come around...

I came here looking for Omega Pro.... Could not stand Rolex watches because I thought only sleezeballs wore them... But I have to say I have become a totel Rolex NUT after all the research and reading on this our beloved forum...

Watches I do not get is Frank Muller, Corum and Ulysse Nardin... Not too fond of the AP ROO or Hublots either (but it might change) Dunno for sure.

I just don't get the Hublot watches. I really don't know what the deal is with them and can't see paying the huge prices they are asking in the rep and gen markets. I like the graham but I don't know if I would own more then one or two they are just a large dial casual wear watch as I see it. I like the Frank Muller crazy hours just because of the movement don't know if I would really like the style of it but the movement is really interesting with the jumping hour.

As said above, you cannot rule any brand out until you see it first hand. I have always liked Rolex (just their snoody attitude that ticks me off), they offer the largest selection of models that look good to me. Originally, I did not like AP, but recently I have gotten on the wagon a bit, even bought a rep of a ROO Chrono to test it out and if it were not for limited cash right now, I probably would have add others by now. Hublot Big Bang has me confused, I don't hate them, but I can't justify buying one either. I like Panerai, but I agree as above, thay have too many models that look like other models which makes me care a little less about them, but I do have a couple PAM projects in planning and I promise no two will look alike.

Now, the brands and reps I do not understand at all are the Grahams, Corums, Zenith Defy series, anything from Alain Silberstein. These watches are gaudy, fashion statements that are overpriced for what they are. What blows my mind is that the rep industry insists on making models like the Zenith Defy Extreme more accurate, but refuses to take the same improved dial layout and do the Zenith Rainbow, or DeLuca, or even a good seconds at 9 Daytona :angry: .

I think the appeal to the Hublot's and AP's, at least for me, is the variety. Sure it is getting a little excessive in all the versions available, but it is cool to see something for everyone.

Wow, in re-reading this, I seemed a little scatter brained in my thoughts :blink: . I guess I just agree, there are some watches I don't understand, rep or gen.

Cheers B)

How about the DSSD, 5-6 versions, each as unbalanced and fugly as the last, horrible watch, gen or otherwise....

My thoughts exactly, and I'm a pretty loyal Rolex guy.

I was over on Worth Avenue in Palm beach window shopping and my wife started laughing. I went over and she was pointing at a Graham with the pump handle on it. I just can't understand that one at all.

Panerai are OK but I think one Luminor and one Radiomir are plenty.

Panarai by far, I mean I think they are a ok looking watch, but they all look the same! I don't understand the concept of having a panarai collection. Its like having the same watch 6 times but the slightest of differences... but to each their own I guess. Not big on the AP's either.

Absolutely

yes - this is true...but what's cool about this hobby is that - if you have the means - you can try out various watches...many times a watch wears differently on your wrist...yes - there's hype in brands...and we all can get caught up in it sometimes...but its thru trial and error you discover some nice pieces...and brands...some i thought i'd try have stayed, some have long gone...some are surprisingly different once you wear it awhile...

R-

Panarai by far, I mean I think they are a ok looking watch, but they all look the same!

I thought the same thing until I got HackR's 239...and now I wear that thing all the time. Granted, having many of them is not something I completely understand. I guess I understand an overall design aesthetic, but not being a true collector in a particular brand, am not fascinated by all the minutiae of the variations.

Then I've been re-reading Zig's threads on Fiddy's with pocket watch movements and this is really intriguing me...as this is something that can be heirloom quality...not necessarily crazy expensive...but interesting with a story, and unique.

Like HackR said, it is fun to try things out as they look so different in real life than they do in full blown macro photography colour on a 24" monitor.

HBBs I used to loathe because they seemed too much like over-detailed clunky paperweights...but when you see them in person, some of them are quite interesting. Again...1 would be a good addition to a collection...but 10 of them?? They do wear well.

I don't really understand the obsession with AP ROO variations. Same watch in 40 different colour combinations? That's not my thing...and given the gen price? hmmm....but as a representative sample in a collection, I can see one of the RB II's...

I've never been into the Patek Nautilus' either...

I guess I understand and appreciate most aesthetics...but can't get into as much the multiple variations.