When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655 Genuine Vs Replica Pics

Jos Nana

Well.. Some Smart Alec is claiming that I lied about this replica's markers colour.... even tells me "Hey....The markers are never this colour" as if they know so much more than me who has a genuine watch on hand.. Well.?

It never ceases to amaze me as well.. that the usual naysayers are always trying to deter and picked on the efforts of such project apart...

A picture tells a thousands words...The Genuine is the one with the date at "9".

http://img217.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=87705378.jpg

87705378.th.jpg

15961900.th.jpg

34151540.th.jpg

37433336.th.jpg

45969510.th.jpg

15913540.th.jpg

22212276.th.jpg

25552381.th.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Josh - Very good comparison & thanks for taking the time to post this.

I would still recommend white or off-white markers as in this gen, which is the way the majority of gen 1655s appear today. White is also easier to replicate than the patina of natural aging (I have never seen an aftermarket dial get that right)

Rolex-Explorer-II-1655-rail-1.jpg

Joshua, An excellent photo study! Your 1655 is superb & I'll need to own one rather soon. The criticism of the orange lume is not valid However,It is not as common as the off white (vanilla) colored aged lume in my opinion.Enough said your 1655 is the best I've seen! Regards, Mike Cotter

Ok Josh you managed to replicate that lume aging pretty well (i prefer off white my self though), how about drilling the lugs to the right size and fitting the same thick spring bars on the new range of vintage subs

I am that "smart alec" that emailed you about the dial and since you want to be that way about it, neither of those photos really look like the coloring of the gens I have seen in my humble opinion but i am sure his watch must be a gen and possibly just different than I have seen.

I was going to order one to check it out, but maybe I will pass after this.

My issue is.....

At this very moment, the photo on josh's site and these photos are VERY VERY different in color.

I am sure as soon as he reads this he might change them. I suggested in an email that the photos might just be overexposed and that nothing might be wrong with the watch.

Why not just say the photos on your site got a little overexposed and not call names......

I wonder if there are some variances? I looked around the web and saw this one: 1655

gpl...below is my franken 1655 with an NDT dial...if you click on the Maron photo and focus on the "II" and the "T SWISS < T is exactly the same. The "II" is slightly exaggerated as compared to the size of the "Explorer" text. Unfortunately that is an aftermarket dial...the rest of the watch might be original...but not the dial...

P1013367.jpg

I suggested in an email that the photos might just be overexposed and that nothing might be wrong with the watch.

If so, this would be the second time in a row that an anticipated rep was let down by poor photography. After Perfect Clones released its first batch of pictures of its PloProf, one of the main complaints about the rep was the greyish markings on the bezel. Subsequent photos showed the contrast to be just fine. I hope this is the case on this 1655.

other than the dial it looks ok to me. lug holes can be drilled easy enough.. i can live with the dial i suppose. I do agree that the gen crown guards look funny but they are better on the rep :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Looks like a VERY good out of the box vintage rolex.

dizz

I'm no expert on 1655. But there are some truths to what many have said here. Firstly, there are more than 1 variance of the 1655, mainly 1 with mercedes second hand and another with normal straight second hand. The mini markers are Supposed to touch the rehaut, so its surprising that the gen in Josh's photo doesn't. Also, those mini markers are more rectangular in shape rather than square. Its again interesting to note the difference in the gen watch from Josh's pic. Is it even possible the pple at the factory placed the wrong dial back into the gen by mistake?? Lastly, the fonts on the rep are quite well done, however there are differences in the T swiss T (spacing) as well as the Rolex font difference and spacing for the II. The first I should commence under the D in Date. And it seems that the bezel fonts are not right as well esp the 4 with the flat top and the 2s... but that is quite minor.

Sorry if i made a wrong comparison but i can't help but point out these after looking at many photos and closeups of the gen.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1278318241/FS-+FULL+PACKAGE+Rolex+Explorer+1655+Orange+Hand+%2B%2B%2B+FRECCIONE

Here are some pics of a Gen straight hand. This belongs to a friend's dad and he beats the snot outta it daily:

Mods064.jpg

Mods060.jpg

Mods061.jpg

Mods056.jpg

Mods053.jpg

Mods054.jpg

Mods050.jpg

Mods049.jpg

I personally like Josh's watch and would love to have one.

BTW, the 24hr markers are square. They just look rectangular because of the closeness to the rehaut.

Edited by Justasgood