When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should we be allowed to curse?

gimme

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be allowed to curse

I think it's pretty stupid that every time we write a word like c_unt, f_uck, p_iss or s_hit (among others) the board automatically substitutes it for [censored]. What are we, 10? :whistling:

Pussy is not among the banned words, but t_its is. So is b_itch.

C_ock is banned, but cocksucker isn't. Boner is fine.

Both f_ucker and motherf_ucker are no-no's.

We can't say n_igger, but both spic (or spik, spick) and beaner are allowed.

F_aggot is not cool, but dike / dyke = no problem.

Just a few examples. Thoughts?

Hmmmmm, I guess that goes for [censored] too. :g:

av-30.jpg

Well if that pic was from Clive it should be [censored].

I'll let you all in on a little secret.....Platinum members can curse.

The fact that they generally don't just shows we have classy members. :good:

...or is that assy members...hmmm...I always get that mixed up.

Gimme If you ever put as much research into reps as you do into swear words on here...then please do a review ;):D

Personally I have no problem with swearing but I do think it would not help in discussions especially more lively ones I say that given the variations to the English language both in meaning and use.

Its very easy to upset someone without using a swear word on here as the words and meaning can be misunderstood. Even humour can get lost on some guys....

The only other reason swearing would want to be used is to [censored] someone off and this forum aint about that.... :D

you can saddle an ass and ride it into the sunset.

... as the words and meaning can be misunderstood. Even humour can get lost on some guys....

You know, i think it's funny this should come up here. I was discussing this with an American friend just last night.

Take the word [censored] (p!ss for those who cant see it). Regardless of what you've heard about Australians being the champion swearers (people who curse) of the universe. This word is actually a swear word here, but isn't really considered so over there. We use it slightly differently. If we're talking about being annoyed, we don't say "i'm p!ssed", we say "I'm p!ssed off". If we were to say "i'm p!ssed" it means "i'm drunk".

Like p!ss - [censored] (w@nker if it's censored), is a term that can be highly offensive here, in our nation of champion swearers. It's a word that has been appropriated very recently by Americans yet seemingly holds no negative connotations. While it can be used as a term of endearment here (even the C word can used as term of term of endearment here), beleive me, if you say it to the wrong person, or with the wrong inflection... you will find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Just a couple of examples of words considered much more of a swear here, than it is there.

The opposite is true with the word damn. We don't consider this a swear word at all. Because traditionally, it's only been used in the literal sense in our version of the language. So, it's not a swear at all, say... to my grandma, but I'm pretty sure it would be to your American grandmother.

The worse ass Vs ar$e is somewhat common ground. While sure, ar$es aren't donkey's, the word is practically interchangeable like Mum and Mom. I doubt you'd find an Australian, kiwi, or brit who'd be offended by the word.

So come on, how about releasing the word from the censored list? It's not that i love to use the word, but not being able to use it is much more offensive than the word. It's like censoring 'mum' because it's not the American spelling.

Curse word´s are pretty interesting it shows what is considered taboo in the culture where they are in use. for example most English curse words are associated with sex. Here in Sweden calling someone a "[fcuk3r" only means that person from time to time have sex. our curse words are usually associated with religion.

i am only familiar with the Germanic languages so i am curious if the above statement would be true for a African language and what there curse words are...

PS: Who gave Australians the right to call themselves the curse master´s ? I claim that title for Sweden

Edited by pompe

Increase your vocab and then you do not have the need for swearing!! :clapping:

While this cliche is fine for primary school teachers to use while upbraiding eight year olds, actual linguists agree that a language's swear words have a very specific place and use. They are a legitimate tool for expression and serve a purpose in speech.