When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has rolex lost their way. daytona

red series 3

There is a certain segment of the population, who think that the ultimate "cool' is t owear the most blinged out, absurd jewelry available. They obviously have lots of money, and lots of taste, unfortunately it's all bad!! Most of these folks truly are individuals who have more money than sense, but since they are buying the stuff, I'm sure Rolex has decided that they will try to get their share.

Now on the other hand, if they are being bought by women, then they are just more jewelry. Heck, if they made a little smaller version, my wife would want one! Thank goodness she isn't into larger watches.

Ha, so weird this topic came up. Spoke to a guy in an AD stocking Rolex as well and we both agreed that Rolex has just simply lost IT. The pieces are becoming more and more fake [censored], lips and a whole load of make-up. Wouldn't be surprised if Rolex now changed the movements to some cheap Chinese automatic and with clever advertising BS made sales either way.

It's a shame.

Hideous watch by any means..

But you can't say "lost its way" on a company that introduced the skydweller just a few months ago.

All the time it releases abortions like the above listed Daytonas, Roid-Raged beefed up Subs and the "I'm hung like a hamster so need a Big Watch..." DSSD for 1000% profit, yes, it is safe to say that Rolex has lost its way, and with regards the Skydweller, even a broken clock is right twice a day ;):lol:

[Edit to add]

Lose the diamonds for some nice blue LEDs, and they might be onto something different :victory:

Rolex-Subterraner-Ad-1024x947.jpg

More! More! :clap2:

Rolex 'lost their way' when they went 100% to sapphire crystals.

"Rats! I cant tell the time on my new $44,000 Sky-deeweller while flying my new $25million jet aero-plane because of the glare on the crystal."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped selling parts to supply houses.

"Sir, I understand all you need is a new crystal but we require you to get our exclusive $2000 overhaul, plus parts of course, in order to obtain the crystal...and you get a free limited one year warranty!" On the crystal.

Rolex 'lost their way' when they swelled up and chunked out their sporty watches.

"Pardon me sir but did you know you have one cuff high and one cuff low?"

"Yeah, it will not go down over my new chunky style rolex sub-mareener."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped making 'real' watches and went onto the fashion jewelry business.

"Man! That's a super cool Duh-tona with all them diamonds and rubies on it! I love it!"

"All you hookers are just alike...you don't love the man wearing the watch, you just love the watch."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped putting their cheapo, flimsy, stamped clasps on their sporty watches (the models that should still have acrylic crystals).

"Pardon me sir, is that a spider web on your new chunky style rolex sub-mareener?"

"No, it is a busted crystal, I bumped it against a slot machine. If the watch did not stick up so high, my cuff would have protected it"

"I am sorry sir. Did you notice it is no longer running?"

"Yeah, it's been like this for six months, they want $2000 to fix it. I have a new Sky-deeweller but can't tell time on it because of the glare."

"I wish I had my old 1675 and 1680 back..."

...and it's been a downhill slide since then... :bangin:

Fer sure. :pimp:

More! More! :clap2:

Rolex 'lost their way' when they went 100% to sapphire crystals.

"Rats! I cant tell the time on my new $44,000 Sky-deeweller while flying my new $25million jet aero-plane because of the glare on the crystal."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped selling parts to supply houses.

"Sir, I understand all you need is a new crystal but we require you to get our exclusive $2000 overhaul, plus parts of course, in order to obtain the crystal...and you get a free limited one year warranty!" On the crystal.

Rolex 'lost their way' when they swelled up and chunked out their sporty watches.

"Pardon me sir but did you know you have one cuff high and one cuff low?"

"Yeah, it will not go down over my new chunky style rolex sub-mareener."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped making 'real' watches and went onto the fashion jewelry business.

"Man! That's a super cool Duh-tona with all them diamonds and rubies on it! I love it!"

"All you hookers are just alike...you don't love the man wearing the watch, you just love the watch."

Rolex 'lost their way' when they stopped putting their cheapo, flimsy, stamped clasps on their sporty watches (the models that should still have acrylic crystals).

"Pardon me sir, is that a spider web on your new chunky style rolex sub-mareener?"

"No, it is a busted crystal, I bumped it against a slot machine. If the watch did not stick up so high, my cuff would have protected it"

"I am sorry sir. Did you notice it is no longer running?"

"Yeah, it's been like this for six months, they want $2000 to fix it. I have a new Sky-deeweller but can't tell time on it because of the glare."

"I wish I had my old 1675 and 1680 back..."

...and it's been a downhill slide since then... :bangin:

Fer sure. :pimp:

Hell yeah :tu: :tu: :pimp:

+1 Automatico, you truly summed it up as nicely as I have ever seen. It seems as though Rolex which was roundly criticized for being so ultra conservative for many years has decided to make up for lost time by hiring a bunch of punk rock looonies to design their watches! They went from "evolution rather than revolution" to revolting rather than tasteful.

Couldn't agree more with automatico's very funny post. Now, I don't know if this is true but a friend of mine said he read this somewhere and it kind of sums it up. Apparently some years ago the ceo of Rolex was at Wimbledon tennis championships here in London and he was talking to Steve Jobs. Steve asked him how the watch business was and ceo replied "I don't know, I'm not in the watch business" Draw from that comment whatever you like but in my opinion when the ceo of a company as so lost sight of what his business should be about then it is ultimately sunk. I suppose they now look upon themselves as a "brand" rather than a watchmaker. A similar thing happend to the theatre here. Producers stopped referring to plays as plays and started calling them "product". These people are the sputum of satan and should be ridiculed and lambasted for the destroyers of all things good that they are. Was that a little strong? Oh pardon me I'm so sorry.....

If you want a more complete analysis of marketing and advertising than do check out the routine by the great man who I have the honour to use as my avatar. I'm sure you'll find it on you tube.

Edited by dieselpower

If Rolex had stayed true to what grouchy collectors (myself included) wanted, they wouldn't be in business right now. Unfortunately, a company needs to evolve. The more iconic a piece is, the more even a subtle change looks wild and radical.

Look at the Sub, the biggest change was they made the dots on the dial slightly bigger and every collector lost their heads/

These crazy design Daytonas are such a tiny fraction of their sales, even within the Daytona line.

I'm sure there were some Rolex collectors fifty years ago looking at the new Submariner and thinking, "40mm?! Who needs a watch that big? If you've such poor eyesight that you need a wrist-clock like this, you shouldn't be diving."