When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips on presenting a gen Rolex as gift without box....

Rolexman

Some of you may have read in my other thread that I'm planning on giving my wife a gen Rolex 6694 (thanks Hartdoc) after she has given labour to our daughter in May.

Problem is the watch does not have papers or a box. So I'm thinking of buying a rep box and certificate just for presentation/ gift. The watch is genuine after all and the box and papers will wind up in a drawer anyway......

I did see some genuine boxes on the Bay but if I go for a genuine box I want the one that is correct for this model and I have no clue which one that would be. Also they are insanely expensive....

What kind of ideas do you guys have? Maybe someone has a nice Rolex presentation or service box lying around he is willing to sell me?...

Can't see why not, worth a try, as you say, its gen, just say you need to replace the paperwork as it got lost or destroyed.  You will have to pay for these replacements of course, but will be worth it so you can build your official repair/service history for the watch.

I highly doubt that an AD can help you. The 6694 is a vintage watch and the old type of certificates and guarantee card are not produced anymore.

The 6694 was made from the 60s to the mid 80s (I think), so there will be a good variety of different boxes that came with the watch. Go on eBay or the known rolex forums and search or ask for such a box, they are not awfully expensive, I got mine for 30€. And please don't buy a rep box they have such a poor quality it would be a shame for the watch.

This one is nice

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rolex-Vintage-Embroidered-Jewellery-Watch-Box-60-01-2-Ladies-100-Authentic-/321060907333?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4ac0b8a945&_uhb=1#ht_3472wt_962

I don't think the box has to be correct for your model in this case. I believe that in her mind that doesn't matter

Edited by cc33

"O" is for Opportunity.  Take your thinking one step further.

Get a really nice negligee set, fold and roll it up in a nice package, and slide the Rolex over it.  Slip it into a nice white box with tissue paper.

Bingo, ready for presentation.

I have a few of watch pouches laying around (the leather one not the suede). If I would have thought about it I would have sent one with the watches. You can have one for free, just pay for the postage.  Just let me know, Ill put it in the mail tomorrow.

Also I would get a single wolf watch winder to present both at the same time. 

I would have the pouch in the top and the watch already mounted on the winder. 

rolexleatherpouch.JPG

roadster_1-480x480.png

Thanks for all the nice suggestions guys. Makes me feel real at home seeing all the trouble you are going through posting links and pics.

@ Doc: Thanks for your offer. I will happily accept it and I will make it up to you!..and the winder is absolute astonishing but pointless for a hand-wind ;) Maybe I will treat myself on one...

@ Nanuq: you dirty hound dog you :lol:

• Like 1

Rolex is absolutely uncooperative unlesx you are buying a new watch. thereare a million questions, disputes,etc. that Rolex could settle once and for all in 5 minutes with an official answer, but they don't and the won't. My feeling is Rolex SA is a watch seller, period. Once a watch leaves the manufacture', it's gone and instantly forgotten. They only provide service because it's required and good PR, but anything else, forget it.

there are lots of nice watch boxes for sale on Ebay and over on the Vintage Rolex Forum. It would be  nice to have it in a Rolex box. She won't care if it is the absolute box that the watch came in originally, but ond=e from that period would be nice. Another suggestion would be to get one of the really nice boxes the Rolex Day Dates came in. They were big, all leather, and make a very nice jewelry box as well. 

I put my partner's Rolex Date in an Omega box just to fuck with him.  (He said he'd liked the date, so I of course wanted to mess with him a little).  He was happily surprised when he opened the box to find the Rolex.

No matter what you put it in, she's going to love it!

I gave my wife a Rolex, she doesn't wear it. Prefers a DKNY quartz powered watch I  bought for her years ago.

I was going to suggest the service pouches or a "coffin" you know the boxes they ship new rolexs in.I have gifted frankens in service pouches and these shipping boxes alike.

Always well received.

I gave my wife a Rolex, she doesn't wear it. Prefers a DKNY quartz powered watch I  bought for her years ago.

I was going to suggest the service pouches or a "coffin" you know the boxes they ship new rolexs in.I have gifted frankens in service pouches and these shipping boxes alike.

Always well received.

Same with me.  I gave my wife a SS/Gold Datejust with a Diamond bezel and MOP dial. She wore it off and on for a while, but never really a lot, like your wife she much prefered a Maurice LaCroix Quartz. Never have to worry about winding, only set the date when you have a 28 or 30 day month. Most women aren't watch fanatics like us, they want a grab and go watch.

I was honestly considering swapping in a quartz movement in the hope that she would wear it more.

I have tried my best with my little daughter to make sure she has some exposure to the older things in the world, She is just gone 20 months old but has the dexterity to wind a manual clock and enjoys the sound of a mechanical movement.

I gave her a pocket watch with a chain that looks very flava flav on her.

Whereas the wife would say that an old mechanical watch was too noisy

I am looking for a vintage wind up clock for her room in the hope she will appreciate these items in the future, I worry for the next generation, they seem to lose an understanding of how we came to where we are in the world.

I have tried to avoid her exposure to the technologies that are voiding the need for human interaction. 

Edited by Red Series 3

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Strap it around the [censored], drop the pants infront of her and DA DAAAA!

Hahahah just joking mate (your [censored] is the last thing she is wanting to see, belive me), many good ideas here! I liked cc33 and nanuq ones :)

If your wife is anything like mine was, she wanted to make sure she had some makeup in her overnight bag to freshen up before visitors came to visit her and the baby. Figure out a way for her to find it that way. Or center piece of some flowers. Don't ruin it with a fake box though. You went through the trouble to get her a future heirloom. It's 4th and one on the goal line. Are you going to go for a field goal or the touchdown?

Some great ideas for you so far, if it was me I'd want to keep it simple but with some impact too ;)  does she drive? If so how about leaving the watch on the steering wheel of the car so when she gets in it's waiting for her  :)