When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VRF continuing to morph into our world

danielv2000

Ohhh VRF, you are so cute with your Windows 95 era forum software... :clown::bleh:

What's the point... I can think of NO PRODUCT in the history of man that has such dumb a$$ thinking when it comes to modifications, replacement parts, etc... If the movement is the same movement but from a different mfg, who cares....  With RSC's ridiculous parts policy, etc, people need to do what they need to do.  If that means a Zenith movement, so be it.  At some point VRF needs to ebrace "craftyness, and resourcefulness" of Rolex owners who are able to maintain, service and modify their stuff without the help of RSC.

Figured that one wouldn't last long!!! The big problem here is the closed circle of Rolex purists who run VRF have been hoarding parts for years. More power to them, they saw the handwriting on the wall years ago. Rolex SA is not interested in repairing or furnishing parts for vintage watches. They sell watches, not repair them. But the fact is, the average Joe doesn't have access to a lot of parts, and those he can find are either almost worn out, prohibitively expensive, or both. So the dilemma we average Joe's are faced with are, throw the old Rolex in the sock drawer, or use aftermarket replacement parts to keep it going. Logical thinking you would imagine, but pure blasphemy to the merry band of purist and their followers who have all been required to drink the kool-Aid. Sadly there will come a time when even the most die hard purist will be faced with the grim truth, There Are No More Parts!! When that time comes, we will see who of the purist are truly pure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

....and as the members are caught out modding their watches into frankens and getting banned for showing them, the membership will dwindle to the last remaining guy with the deepest parts stash. The rest of the guys will wind up over here with us. :tu:

• Like 1

....and as the members are caught out modding their watches into frankens and getting banned for showing them, the membership will dwindle to the last remaining guy with the deepest parts stash. The rest of the guys will wind up over here with us. :tu:

Lol! So true!

At some point there are only gonna be three or four guys left with any parts.

I understand their purity thinking, value etc. But when the mothership itself refuses to give up parts, there just is no other way to keep these pieces alive or restore them. You'd think they would understand in order to keep the love alive...sooner or later they will have to bend and change their philosophy. In the four or five years I've been following those guys...they are even worse now.

Figured that one wouldn't last long!!! The big problem here is the closed circle of Rolex purists who run VRF have been hoarding parts for years. More power to them, they saw the handwriting on the wall years ago. Rolex SA is not interested in repairing or furnishing parts for vintage watches.

Precisely, which has caused others to wake up, and look around and start doing the same thing themselves.  Just 4-5 years ago, a stainless steel 16XX Datejust used to go for $900-1100 for a beater and even nice ones weren't more than twice that.  Today, they start around 12-1500 WITHOUT bracelets.  Hoarding is driving up the pricing in my opinion.  And now that those prices are too high, they've moved on to the Air Kings and Date models.  Need a spare 1570 movement?  Pirate it out of a cheaper model!

Good point. I bet some of those guys have no issue scavaging a 1570 from a Date or DJ to keep other watches running. Gee....one area where "matching numbers can't be proven" because Rolex is so tight lipped. So in away a saint is a sinner.

Good point. I bet some of those guys have no issue scavaging a 1570 from a Date or DJ to keep other watches running. Gee....one area where "matching numbers can't be proven" because Rolex is so tight lipped. So in away a saint is a sinner.

Don't movements still have serial numbers (where year manufactured can be deduced from)?

Don't movements still have serial numbers (where year manufactured can be deduced from)?

Sort of.  Rolex has never released that info, so it is all speculation.  Also, the RSC might have legitimately swapped a movment or the bridge with SN.

The simple fact, unlike say a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, that spells out matching numbers, etc. No such luck with Rolex. So all the uptight a$$hole fanatics when it comes to "OMG! Your Rolex has been modified" can all Piss off.

"I bet some of those guys have no issue scavenging a 1570 from a Date or DJ to keep other watches running. Gee....one area where "matching numbers can't be proven" because Rolex is so tight lipped."

You are 100% correct. Unless someone has the original registration papers with a vintage watch there is no way to tell if it has the original movement or not. On non chronometer models with no movement serial numbers it is no man's land...5513, 5514 etc.

Only two things keep these watches from 'renewed production' today...perfect replica tritium dials/hands and cases.

"Don't movements still have serial numbers (where year manufactured can be deduced from)?"

I have never seen a list and I doubt anyone who does not work in the rwc switz main office could get the movement numbers vs mfg date/case number...even if such a list still exists or ever did. You can get within a few years of a 1520/1570/75/GMT movement production date going by if the movement hacks or not.

I bet some of the TZ/VRF Vintage Purists have grail watches made out of parts from 6 or 8 different watches with a replica part or two thrown in (crystal retainer ring etc).

Sooner or later they are going to have to face this.

There is no way they will just put away their dead vintage watches. You know they will quietly slip in a non correct part, just like we do..to keep the watch going. In fact, maybe guys like Phong get even better at fabrication and somehow the vrf guys "legitimize" him :)

Maybe even a Phong and Yuki section for sellers lol

This is inevitable. parts that haven't been made for 20-50+ years are not a renewable resource. There is a finite supply of everything old floating around. look at the problems folks have finding parts for 1030 movements and old Tudor 390's. Parts are getting scarcer and scarcer, and on top of that some of the parts that are for sale are worn out .

This reminds me of the vintage car restorers, it's not at all uncommon for some of the very old and rarer models to have almost no parts available. the only way restorers can get the car into running and drivable shape is to make the parts. Fortunately for us, there are in the Rolex world some very good quality aftermarket parts already available. my prediction is in another 15-20 years, you will either have to use aftermarket parts on your old 1680, 1665, 6542,etc, or it will be unusable. I suppose the purists could have their old Daytonas encased in a plastic cube and use it for a paperweight, all it will be good for. 

I can imagine the conversation at a Vintage Rolex Show or Get together in the year 2040, "Say sir, that's a might impressive collection of vintage Rolex watches you have there, are any for sale? Sure son, they are all for sale, would you like to look at anything in particular? Well sir, I've always had my heart set on a 1680 Submariner, I see you have several in your collection. Well,  I do have a few, most are in pretty nice shape. What do you have in mind? Well sir, I would like one that has a good movement, nice dial, hands and a bracelet that has not too much stretch, anything here that fills the bill? Well sorry son, actually, none of mine are running, I've been looking for around 10 years trying to find parts for these old 1570 movements, and I just can't find anything, even the old cheaper Rolex watches have all been cannibalized for movements. Sorry to say, mine are all just for decoration now, the last one running was that old SeaDweller over there, and it gave up the ghost a couple of years back. I'm sorry I just can't help you. Well sir, that's too bad,  I understand that there are a lot of aftermarket movements that will drop right in one of these old watches, why don't you try to get then running with a good Chinese clone movement, I hear they are really, really good now, can't tell the difference inside the watch now can you? Son. I would rather run over these watches with a steamroller rather than make a fake watch out of them with a Chinese movement. That's blasphemous talk around here. If anyone here caught me doing that, I would be drummed out of the VRF. Say, what is this VRF? Well son, it used to be a really great organization of guys like me who loved and treasured our vintage Rolex watches, we had and internet forum and all, had a lot of get together's, watch shows, great stuff. but now there are just three of us left. All the others have dropped out of sight, I suppose they decided long ago that they would rather have a running half Rolex than no Rolex at all. Not me though, I'm sticking it out to the bitter end. We keep hearing rumors that Rolex is going to start making parts for these old watches again, and we are holding out for that. Well sir, how true are the rumors do you think? I just don't know son, they were flying pretty hot and heavy about 2012, or maybe it was 2008, can't remember. Sir, that was 30 years ago!! I know son,. but you know Rolex works pretty slow, you can never tell, they could start making parts any day now, just don't know. Well sir, thanks for your time, by the way, what's that watch you're wearing? Son, don't spread this around, but it's a Seiko. Sort of looks like and old submariner doesn't it? Sir, hope you find those parts, thanks and have a great day". 

• Like 1

I said in a previous.  I remember when the Porsche 356 Club would cry outrage over the Speedster & 550 Replicas.  Now there are no fewer than FIVE manufacutures of these Replicar's. 

I know Porsche owners who leave their "bias ply tire" "trailer queen" 356's in their garage, and only go take to the occasional car show.  Meanwhile, they have come around and for daily FUN and excitement, are driving their (VW or Subaru powered) Speedster Replicar with big grins on their face.

The Porsche community (mostly) have come around.  Time for the VRF/Rolex Fanatics to come around as well.