When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions for going GEN!

Big Dazza

Hey guys been having a bit of an itch to buy a nice gen and have my eye on a Breitling Transocean Chrono Panda (white dial with black sub-dials). Its quite pricey. The best price I can get is about £5k (a hell of a lot of coin). The thing that attracts me to it is the B01 movement which is Breitling's first in house movement and many reckon it will hold its value. Its an absolute stunner of a watch.

I have read that only some come with a clear caseback because it is a limited edition feature? Although I havent seen any with a sold one yet. Am I silly and should I just get the rep? 

Just wondering  what people think about this and what are the comparable or cheaper gen options others would go for for that sort of money?

post-24551-0-75289900-1378215058_thumb.j

post-24551-0-22734300-1378215074_thumb.j

If possible buy the gen if its a watch you love and would wear frequently...replicas are ok but nothing like having a gen...with a gen you dont have to think about this and that "flaw" in our watch

Gen is usually the best if funds allow.

I bought this Transocean as I also think its a great looking watch, this is however the quartz version as the auto version has a poorly sunken DW which is terrible, a mod required.

At 43 mm its not too big and very comfortable and different to the run of the mill options.

If you want to try this for size/feel say the word I will send it over to you.

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-99237500-1378218171_thumb.j

post-48021-0-77093100-1378218207_thumb.j

If you really like it you should buy the gen. In-house helps with resale value, but I doubt you could fully recoup your expenses or close to that if you don't buy second hand or grey market pieces. Well actually, I guess a 20% discount should be possible at Breitlings AD? On a second thought you shouldn't lose too much if you shop around... get the gen and enjoy gen quality. :)

Thanks for the replies. Only thing that puts me off a gen vintage Rolex is there are too many frankens etc out there and I would need to be 100% sure in what I am buying. I also reckon the Transocean is one of the best looking watches I've seen for a while.

I know a great AD in Hong Kong that tells me he will give me about 35% off I bought my last Breitling from him. Thanks AJ. I might pop down to my local dealer and try it on again. I tried it on at Heathrow airport and fell in love with it, even got chatting to the dealer who was wearing his 20 year old Daytona El Primero, was surprised how nice he was to chat to.

Here's a thought. You'll lose a tidy bit of coin in resale if that comes around - and - it usually does.... so

grab a cheap quartz rep of it and wear her for awhile.... see if she stays on the "must have" list 3-4 months from now. If so, by then (or even during that time) we on the prowl for one showing up on TZ or WUS or such.

That way - you're more sure it what you want to sink your dough in - and - you lose less of it in the process.

Only requirement: patience!

I've got a Speedy with silver subs/display back that I've offered on a trade here or there - but every time the lust passes - I'm sure glad she's still in the box.

Sometimes only TIME will let you know if it's a keeper...or...not so much...

The only thing that depends, is what you do actually like. Buy any watch you have fallen in love with. I could personaly live also with some cheaper beauties. Omega Aqua Terra Golf edition is awesome, feels great on the wrist, clear caseback and improved shock resistance (once in the future, if i will not buy IWC 3714-38, i will go gen with Aqua Terra). Stopped by AD month ago, and it is currently going for 4.050,- EUR new, but if you talk a while with dealer, you can push it down to 3.550-3.650. Used on uhrforum.de has been sold few weeks ago for 2.300,- EUR (i missed this one). Pretty good price for limited edition with Co-Axial movement.

post-40168-0-00049300-1378233164_thumb.j

Double the price and you are up on IWC Portuguese Chrono ref. 3714-38 or newer 3714-47 (lovely but for that price just too expensive for IWC's version of 7750 movement - cal. 79350). I love Portu, but not for the price they are selling it. Imho not worth 7.050,- EUR new. But if you are lucky, you can get nice used for 4.600-5.200,- EUR.

post-40168-0-12474900-1378233200_thumb.j

Tag Heuer cal. 1887 is also nice choice (no idea what the current prices are), but i do not like the lugs shape - does not fit my 6,75" wrist. Next choice is some vintage Rolex Sub with superior and reliable cal 3135. But if you really want to invest like £5k, i would look for something different. I have seen lot of watches, but never seen anything as precise as gen Ulysse Nardin. That watch looks in person unbelievably. It is much better finished than anything other. On the other hand, UN is not everyones cup of tea. If you are a chrono lover, ask your AD to show you SS version of Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver Chronograph. That watch looks just awesome.

post-40168-0-35017600-1378233178_thumb.j

But like I said, i could live happily with Aqua Terra Golf :)

Edited by van_damme1988

Thanks for the info guys. Think I might try the quartz version for a while first. I have seen quite a few people on forums arguing about how bad the Omega 3113 co-axial movement can be. If not I would of went for another Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow, white dial and blue markers. I had one of these before and regret selling it but after reading about potential movement issues I have been put off getting another.

post-24551-0-79710800-1378235837_thumb.j

Alot written up on her on TZ. I had the black SMP Chrono (shouldn't have sold it). No problems at all. As I recall, there's a part that you need to have swapped out on service (first ideally) -once done you should be golden. Think it was the early modles that got the horror stories going. Think later ones were fine... if memory serves (which - it often doesn't).

I also agree that the gen is the way to go. For long term keepers that you will wear, admire and possibly pass down, genuine watches are the right choice. Don't get me wrong, I love my reps, but honestly, if I were wealthy, which I'm not, I would replace every one of my reps that I truly love and wear, with a comparable genuine.

If you aren't in a big hurry, I would haunt the genuine sales forums, TZ, WUS, etc. It's amazing how many practically new watches come up for sale every day. I would expect that you could find a gently used TransOcean at a considerable discount from new. Better to let someone else take that big hit from new to used, then if you decide later on that it's just not the watch for you,you can move it on with little or no loss to you. I've done this lots of times, and the only time I have ever taken a big hit was for watches I bought new. Also lesser known brands seem to have a greater first time depreciation than better known more popular watches. Look at the prices that folks actually get for watches like UN, Maurice Lacroix, Chronoswiss, etc. lot bigger difference between new and used than well known brands like Rolex,Omega. I would put Breitling in the catagory of lesser known, possibly more brand recognition than Chronoswiss, but not Rolex, probably because Breitling does a fair amount of advertising in mainstream publications. There are tons of watches that we know about, because we are watch fanatics, but I can assure you, very few brands have name recognition like Rolex, Omega, Seiko and a few others. I'm just rambling on, But I do love some of the gens out there!!

I think maybe it is best to first really discover what you want. As I see many models coming by and they are all pretty different. About the gen part, if you can spend it go for a gen!

btw: I almost never like Breitling except the vintage models, but the Transocean and the superocean look great.

Happy hunting! :-)