When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 complete ..... almost

dbane883

For any vintage Rolex sport watch collector, I believe there are 2 essential watches that should be part of the collection, a meters-first 5513 and its older brother; the venerable 6538 big crown.   Having already built my 5513 grail some time ago, I finally committed myself to begin and finish a big crown project that I can enjoy for years to come.

First and foremost, I wanted the right dial.   The gilt dial i chose was made by the Chuck Norris of dial makers who might be one of 2-3 people left on earth who can make gilt dials in the traditional way using genuine 1030 plates.  Movement is a gen 1030 as is the tube and crown.

The mid case was a challenge.  I finally decided that the Phong case would work best for me, but it's hit and miss what phong delivers you these days.  I have dealt with him numerous times in the past couple of years, and it seems that the quality control is not what it used to be.  As such, the case required a relatively high degree of reshaping to get it where I wanted.  In fact, I had to completely recut the bevels...this is no easy task.  The look I was going for was a slightly aged case that looks like it was worn sparingly over the past few decades.  While I could have gone for a more weathered dial, I wanted to enjoy the gilt goodness in all its lovely glory. Perhaps down the road I will replace it with a more age-appropriate one, but for now, I enjoy as is.

I had a small issue with the sweep hand and the movement which was above my pay grade to fix.  My watch smith rectified the issue and I finally got it all together today.  

In no particular order, I would like make a special thanks to @lionsandtigers, @cc33 and @Nanuq for their input/advice along the way.

Specs:

Dial/hands: He who will not be mentioned

Movement: Gen 1030

midcase/caseback: Phongster

Tube: Gen 800-0

Crown: Gen 8mm Brevet

Crystal: Gen Tropic 17 superdome

Bezel: Minh Quy

Bezel insert: Gen "long 5" insert.. still looking for a matching tritium pearl

Bracelet: Gen 7206 with 80 endlinks

Gen 2mm springbars

Now onto the pics:

IMG_5567_zps62da234c.jpg

IMG_5565_zps3826e4ce.jpg

IMG_5556_zpsbb807ccf.jpg

IMG_5555_zps77ed0b05.jpg

IMG_5553_zps5a9d3f36.jpg

IMG_5562_zpsafd4be6f.jpg

IMG_5573_zps148e8da8.jpg

Very difficult to capture, but the gilt and the cellulose lacquer shimmer as it catches the sunlight:

IMG_5547_zps92e16e5b.jpg

IMG_5572_zps539d91d3.jpg

Sitting beside it's younger relative:

IMG_5571_zps25dad32e.jpg

Obligatory wristshot:

IMG_5577_zpsf4cb982c.jpg

And on Bulang leather:

IMG_5546_zpsf23ca3d8.jpg

IMG_5545_zpsd8211aff.jpg

All photos taken with my iphone 6+ and unedited. 

• Like 6

This is spectacular! Perfect mix of parts!!! That dial only comes from one man! :)

If I was you I would opt for a phong bezel, it's the nearest thing to gen out there, and a far cry from MQ's.

Beautiful!

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

I actually have a phong bezel, but I prefer the MQ.  I think i like the fact that it's not nickel plated and all the brass is exposed.  I may swap the phong bezel on it at some point.

Thanks boys. I did find the gen tube installation to be a bit tricky. But for those that have ever installed a gen 702 tube, you might know what I mean.

M4 taps are actually slightly narrower than 4.0mm:

4d262e30f5c2a02fe8e809a5bb36dbe5.jpg

But the tube threads are exactly 4.0 mm:

e491703af58cec1842bda19c2556f44f.jpg

I've tried several different M4 taps and each are the same. Next time, I might try a M4.2 x 0.35 tap.

At any rate, I eventually got the tube to seat perfectly despite the roadbump:

3359eb3e7959b5d3edabc17c060f19cf.jpg

• Like 1

Wow great result... I am currently collecting parts for the same build later this year with a very similar build list. The 1030 is currently with the watchsmith... and later this month I need to begin the process of getting in touch with the unspoken one for a dial !!

Also I know nanuq has a soft spot for the MQ mid cases, do we think he is a better bet these days? If so I might need to change my mid case order pretty quickly !

Also I know nanuq has a soft spot for the MQ mid cases, do we think he is a better bet these days? If so I might need to change my mid case order pretty quickly !

Its a tough call which case is "better" between the two.   To be frank, I received two cases from Phong and there were VERY different - both would need alot of work to make them right.  The MQ out of the box is very very good, with maybe the exception of the bevels (which is fixable).

I think in terms of case shape, the MQ wins...  the lug tips have a more pronounced "swoop" that I believe is more desirable... but the gen cases can vary in that department too.. These cases were all finished by hand afterall.

Stock Phong on left, MQ on right:

IMG_5314_zps76cf18e3.jpg

No one but you will ever see the casebacks, but the engravings/stamping on the Phong is superior to the MQ (which is only marginally better than cartel reps).  But to be honest, the way the insides of the casebacks are milled, both are hugely off.  Phong on left, MQ on right.

IMG_5319_zps0b7cb789.jpg

Also, the MQ and Phong casebacks are not interchangeable.. I considered using the Phong caseback with the MQ case, but it would not fit.   I presume that the Phong is gen spec so the MQ must use a different thread pattern.   Regardless, this was not a deal breaker for me to not use the MQ.. Up to this point, I was in favour of the MQ.

But then I measured the overall lugtip-to-lugtip length, the MQ is about 1.5mm shorter than the Phong.  However small that is, to me, it makes the lugs seem marginally stubby.  This can be somewhat fixed by thinning the lugs a touch, but i think I'd rather have a longer case than a shorter one (dont we all want a longer one?).

IMG_5309_zps2d845b86.jpg

Sometimes I look at the Phong lugtips and wish it had the beautiful teardrop swoop of the MQ...  If I decide to keep the MQ, I may to a swap at some point.  But as of right now, I think I will be selling the spare MQ case.

I really dont think you can go wrong with either one and both have pros and cons.  I dont think one is better than the other.  Just comes down to your order of priorities.   Dealing with Phong, once you get over the communication barriers, is relatively easy.   Dealing with MQ can get a bit dodgy as he uses a "friend's" PP account and he is on the other side of the world and you are exposed to greater risk allegedly.   That in itself can be a deal breaker, but all went smoothly for me. 

Also, note how the sides of the MQ case is nice and straight, where the phong's sides are curved and over polished..   I had to straighten all the sides on the phong case and re-cut the bevels.  You gotta ask yourself if you can live with a stock Phong case or go through some heavy case re-shaping issues.