When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

someone opened a Pay Pal case on a watch

mymanmatt

At what point does PP realize this guy has a pattern? Is there no logic to how they settle disputes?

Unfortunately, PP has traditionally been kinda dumb when it comes to this. Too much buyer protection, regardless of purchase disputes history.

There are so many unscrupulous sellers on EBay, I believe that PayPal had to go overboard to protect buyers, or at some point there would not be any buyers. Unfortunately, the pendulum as usual has swung too far to the side of the buyers, and now the sellers find that they are not being protected. It looks like PayPal with it's very sophisticated computer system could track disputes and flag those buyers who have opened more than one or two over a period of time. Of course the real "dyed in the wool" scammers like this guy that ripped off Matt or probably using multiple emails, multiple PayPal accounts and any other method that he can use to decrease scrutiny and keep his scamming game going for as long as he can.

I hate this for Matt, as I said before he is really a nice guy, and he doesn't deserve to be robbed by some slimy little crook. Guys like this really make it hard, especially for newer members who are totally honest but haven't established their "Creds". Like  I said before, USPS money order half up front, balance on completion, watch ships when the funds clear (Just in case the buyer tries to slip in a phony MO) !! I bought and sold vintage fountain pens for years, before PayPal and even before the internet got popular. I would send a MO, cashiers check and later if it was someone I had done business with for a while, personal checks, but the seller always waited until the funds cleared before the pens were shipped. Sad that we might have to go back to the old way of doing business, but if the crooks and scammers keep multiplying, I don't see many other choices.  

Matt, how much did you lose? If there is anything I can do to mitigate your loss, I would be happy to!

This is more than a polite offer. I have helped some guys here, and I would be happy to do the same for you. 

I second this, Matt I'd like to buy you a raffle ticket

No he wont, if the scammer told Paypal the watch was a rep he will be refunded, keep the watch and Matt PP account will most likely be frozen.

I've had it done to me too many times now.

Ken

Yes, I got the money back. He withdrew the claim, just as quietly as he filed it. WEIRD!!  The only reason I can think of, is because I agreed to a return of merchandise for a full refund.  Maybe he was going to send an empty box.  This is strange!!

UPDATE:

Matt provided email from his earlier dealings with the guy, and that email address was registered here for a different userID,  "lvguy23"

Also banned.

Yes, I got the money back. He withdrew the claim, just as quietly as he filed it. WEIRD!!  The only reason I can think of, is because I agreed to a return of merchandise for a full refund.  Maybe he was going to send an empty box.  This is strange!!

;):clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm brand new here but I read this thread and wanted to throw my two cents in. I've been selling on Ebay since 1998. Once Ebay bought Paypal and required you to take it as a form of payment things started going downhill for sellers. A couple of years ago they basically kicked sellers in the nuts by taking the buyer's word for absolutely everything with no proof. I've had a few try to extort "discounts" from me by filing complaints saying the item wasn't as described. I've had them steal parts out of watches and replace them with their broken parts and file a claim that the watch was "broken". I pretty much hate people sometimes....