When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wine recommendations?

Nanuq

I'll start... this past week I've sampled two new ones, a Pinot Noir by Little Penguin, and a Shiraz-grenache blend also by Little Penguin.

The Pinot Noir is just........perfect! I am VERY pleased with it. It's a nice light alternative to heavy complex wines like the Yellow Tails I've been sampling.

The Shiraz-Grenache though is another story. Did someone mix antifreeze in this one? :o Sorry... I think I'll pour this blend down the outhouse!

Regarding Yellow Tails, they are great, complex, thought provoking wines. But I've had enough of that, I'm looking for simplicity. And the Pinot Noir has it, while being just pleasing enough on the palate to make me want another try.

Ok I'm quite taken by a nice Shiraz that goes by the name of Beelgara Estate vin 2002...........actually I have just about finnished my second crate of the stuff..........ahem.......case :)

Ken

Chateauneuf du Pape Wine is _always_ good :) // if you're not eating fish :lol:

One of my buddies has about 5000 bottles of wine at his house... his whole basement is a (cooled) wine vault! I think its crazy to have that much wine though :D

Edited by slay

I'm not sure where many of you are located but if it's in the U.S. you generally can't go wrong with the Ravenswood (motto: 'No Wimpy Wines') line of California Merlots, Zinfandels and Chardonnays. Prices range from reasonable to unreasonable, but I've never been disappointed.

Beats many high-end French wines hands-down.

"Better than Montagny premier cru?? Nice Montrachet?"

The name doesn't necessarily guarantee what you're actually getting. France is currently going through an 'Emperor Has No Clothes' phase in which many of its high-priced and prestigious wines are getting a beating due to the mediocraty of what you discover once they're in your glass.

I don't want to discourage you, Edge, it's still possible to uncork bottles that are absolutely sublime, but it's often hit-or-miss. After a number of misses, I always ask friends coming over from the States to bring a bottle or two of anything under the Ravenswood label: no bad surprises. And I should perhaps say that their wines are 'real' - meaning not concocted out of oak wood-chips and plonk by a resident Ph.d in chemistry.

And anyway, real wine is a living substance - it's as important where and with whom you drink it as how much you pay or the prestige of the Chateau on the label.

Go for them when you're here: you won't regret it, and you'll learn tons...:-)

Phew!

I love wine and have a fair collection, mainly European, French and Italian, but have been known to dabble in some foreign wines, Cali and Aus.

Looking forward to the new experience of France with a complete change in culture and quisine.

Phew!

I love wine and have a fair collection, mainly European, French and Italian, but have been known to dabble in some foreign wines, Cali and Aus.

Looking forward to the new experience of France with a complete change in culture and quisine.

Ha Ha.......a cupboard full of Buckfast you mean you pretentious jeely eater! :lol::lol::lol:

JTB

I KNEW IT!

I saw the name of the last poster and it HAD to be BUCKY!!!

I KNEW IT HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:lol:

Couldn't resist Chris! :lol:

On a serious note, I like the sparkly stuff, Bolly being my particular favourite although when I'm down on my uppers, a little bottle of Veuve De Vernay is a good cheap substitute.

JTB

Blackstone Merlot - best California Merlot under $15, and Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.

Blackstone Merlot - best California Merlot under $15, and Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.
personnaly i recommand a mouton cadet Rothschild not the more expensive of Rothschild's label !alway good but must be take not more of 15 year ! (after take a chateau mouton Rothschild but ist the same price !)

if you like exeptional wine take and half bottle of chateau d'yquen !

the best white wine in a world !!

no joke !!!

its an other world !!!

equivalent to a petrus for the red wine !!

if you like white one :take loupiac , mont basillac and sauterne !

for the red one :

if you are un us , the napa valley wine are in majority paulliac ( like Rothschild ) and made by some good french guy !

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Arch's current Pinot raves:

Jaques Prieur: Meursault Clos de Mazeray. Yup, a red Meursault. Amazing wine. Classic Burgundy flavors. It'll cost you 40 bucks, but this blows away 80% of the $200 bottles of premier crus people buy. Try the 1999 if you can get it. One of my all time favs w/ food.

St Innocent Seven Springs 2003, from Oregon: Interesting name, interesting wine. I had this at a buddy's restaurant a couple weeks ago and it was the star of the whole meal. Not to sound like a wine geek, but this wine had about a dozen different things going on--violets, nutmeg, cherry, raspberries, chocolate, roses...not particularly food friendly 'cause it's so complex but it's a great deal--25 bucks for a wine that can hold it's own against 99% of the Pinot Noirs made on earth.

Kenwood 2001, California: It's 11 bucks. And it's good. And it's 11 bucks.

I may be a bit off on some of the prices since I'm making an educated guess on the retail prices--one of the perks of being in the restaurant biz is that I get to buy the wines I take home @ wholsale, but probably you can get these within 10% of the above prices.

Moral of the story: there are lots of great wines out there. Price is not a guarantee. Provenance is not a guarantee. Label is not a guarantee. In short, there is no guarantee other than your persistance and good luck. Taste can be subjective, but on the whole, a bordeaux should not 'taste' like a burgandy; nor a merlot like a zinfandel. Educate yourself - it's easily done, and no need for classes.... Learn as you go, have fun - that's what wine's mainly for - don't take it all too seriously and you'll have a good time.

For me, the lesson of wine is that everything is non-permanent and ephermal. That great bottle you had last week is going to be out of stock soon. You can buy a case - ten cases even - but one day it will be no more. If you're doing your job as a wine-lover correctly, you'll find another great bottle sooner or later - the availability of which will also disappear with time.

And so it goes: proof that iife is change, with pleasures ever vanishing, ever renewed....

There's nothing at all wrong with it - a decent, reliable wine....

But for me, no fireworks, no irresistible attraction.

In France, for value-for-euros, I've moved into Spanish wines - riojas and above all, the handful of growers in the penedes that actually make the effort...

This is a totally frustrating decision - some of these wines are so good that they literally blow away anything I've had before. Problem is, they are more or less kept out of France. I have no idea whether this is because of low-volume production, officious blacklisting by distributors, or simply because the Spanish want to keep it all for themselves.

I've called the growers ('sorry, but we're not distributed in France'); on the Internet, I've tracked these wines to the U.S., the U.K. and even Germany, from where I once had two cases of my favorite shipped to Paris. In short, even though the Americans (Palmer included) and the Brits are raving about these wines, even though they're available throughout Europe, you can't get them in France. Anyone see something wrong with this picture?

Given the steady loss of market share for domestic wine both in and out of France, it's not hard to imagine that stellar products from just across the border are kept out. Don't ask me how, but that's exactly the situation.

Mad Dog 20/20 really really cold :lol:

Night Train really really really really cold :yu:

20/20 in Orange Jubilee. Enough with that old stuff, MD is fresh, made like, last week! Seriously though, it's hard to beat a good hearty California Cabernet. Say, a 99 Reserve-Michel-Schlumberger, or if $60 is too cheap for your taste, then say an 01 Opus!!!!!!!

Edited by ekhunter