When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I remember the last time The Zigmeister took a break several months ago, I was brand new and had no idea who he was or what the big deal was about. Since then I've had the opportunity to work with a number of different sellers and modders. Some were good, others not so good, but The Zigmeister is hands down the BEST. I'd put him near the top based on his knowledge and skill alone, but his top notch service and communication makes him by far the easiest and my favorite to work with. Best of luck Zig, hope you hang around and even the best need a break sometime.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback and comments.

@ andreww

I am in the big stink on Monday, but will be in at lunch and out after supper with meetings all afternoon, not venturing past the airport...next time we'll get together.

For now I am going to do as I have been doing for the past few weeks, taking a break from it all. Summer is here anyway and I should be out riding my motorcycle with J at my side on her bike.

I really have to come up with a solution to the time wasters, but a break will allow me to find the answers I need.

@youpmelone

You have been here a long time, someone you know must have dealt with me already, I'll wait to hear from you on email.

Got to run, my new Mustang seat just arrived, there is some riding that needs to be done.

I'll drop by now and then.

Until then, all the best.

Rob

For the serious rep-aholic The Zigmeister's talents have become a necessary part of serious rep collecting.

Replacing his talents might be one thing, but replacing his attitude is quite another. We will be hard pressed to find a replacement for a guy like Mr. Z.

Today's best reps deserve a servicing to insure there longevity and performance. Modding demands the most dicerning eye, and a love of the job. The technician needs to care about it.

Those of us lucky enough to have pieces serviced by him are fortunate people. All the best to he and his.

I dont have your email. :( I can write you handwritten love letter in the email tho. :)

Best of luck my friend. It's a shame a few bad apples spoil the bunch. You cant be everything to all people, but you are first class in my book. Best wishes to one of the nicest people we have around here. Dont be a stranger. I will miss you. It's because of you that I had the guts to open up my first watch and try some mods.

Cheers

Lance

Hi Zigg, I am sorry to see you go, and I completely understand about 90% of your post.

However, the act of removing all tutorials of yours...

Seems a shame to punish everyone for the (potential) acts of a few.

Anyway, I'm sad to see you leave, and wish you luck. but I mourn the loss of information on the forum.

Edited by roflwaffle

I believe you will like the Mustang seat

I put one on my Softail Custom years ago and was in-love instantly.

Nothin like some good ridin to clear the ole head!!

Some past due thanks for answering my pms when I was new to this board--I was so excited to finally find "The The Zigmeister" I didnt take time to read your info posts--all of the questions I asked you in pm were already answered in your posts and you answered every one of my questions rather than telling me what to do with my questions---I have never forgotten that.

Good luck The Zigmeister!!!

i think The Zigmeister's tutorials/reviews are in the Supporters section. Join and enjoy!!

I'm just going by him stating that he's removed all of them, so I assume they are gone from the supporters section as well

:)

If he didn't remove them, then I'm afraid I dont know what hes talking about..

I have since deleted all my How-To posts, no reason to encourage more scammers on RWG.

I am very sorry it has come to this Ziggy but I fully understand your perspective and your right to live your life as you choose, I wish you J and the kids all the best for the future and hope that you don't become a complete stranger to our board.

Ken

As a sad footnote; There are members on the Geeks right now who on seeing this thread are bowing to their God modder Flav, some will never learn because the choose not too.

as the community has continued to grow - its almost inevitable that these things have happened

I can say for sure that there aren't hundreds of "certified" watchmakers worth their salt that can hold a candle to what The Zigmeister does - his job is way tougher than what the "mainstream" watchmakers face- they have a book to reference for parts - The Zigmeister has to make a bunch of crazy half baked movements - stuff held together with duct tape - and try to make it work well and sent back to the owner better than he had it.

i have a local watchmaker i'm using now, but he has screwed up 2 of my watches - cause he isn't used to be as creative as The Zigmeister needs - flav also destroyed one of my dials.

I'll back you with the no soup for you philosophy - this is a hobby for you anyway and you have no obligation to accept work you don't want.

I can understand The Zigmeisters reason for being upset and annoyed.

BUT

what i dont get is the fact that he is in business. He makes money, yes money by modding etc...

In this world there will always be scammers and con artists, the existence of RWG doesnt make it any different. The Zigmeisters articles probably havent really created many scammers.

The fact that there are scammers or people who do under par work is good for The Zigmeister and its good business.

Im I the only one who is thinking like this? Surely as a business decision your shooting yourself in the foot big time!

Im not an active posting member here but I read RWG daily. I basically live at RG so dont hold that against me.

While i've not ever dealt with Rob directly - a good bunch of my reps have passed through his hands. (I usually only buy

modded reps) The quality is literally second to none and I respect the craftsmanship involved.

I dont really follow why there is so much flav bashing. The guy doesn't even work on reps anymore so I dont see the point

in bringing him into it at all. Its not necessary and i've seen plenty of flav's work receive the upmost praise.

Lets not freak out here - from my interpretation of Rob's posting, he isn't 'leaving' RWG but just stepping back and he will

continue to run his business. He will just choose his clients more carefully.

Good luck The Zigmeister. Im sure I will one day soon enough deal with you directly, even if it is by reference.

Cheers,

Jay

As a sad footnote; There are members on the Geeks right now who on seeing this thread are bowing to their God modder Flav, some will never learn because the choose not too.

While there are some on the geek who like Flav and see this as an attack, I think 90% of the thread was mildly respectful and discussing a completely separate matter. In fact, I think there was only like 1 post, and it said 'was this guy ripping on flav?' which i personally do not see as an attack.

No need to turn this into a board war, or explode this into something it is not.

:)

RG mourns your leaving.

Edited by roflwaffle

Experience is the mother of all.. and if you have not experienced a total destruction of your timepiece.. (although it's a rep.. still a timepiece none the less) you cannot appreciate the stance that

Ziggy has taken when he has spoken up about work that hurts this community rather than helps it..

I do not believe Ziggy "needs" to advertise or ride the "coat tail of inferior work" just to gain more customers..

what members don't seem to understand is that he is a perfectionist and stands behind his work ...

I see him take flack from members who are swayed by the masses.. yet he stands alone in calling these so called modders on the carpet..

when my "drama" was in it's apex flav pm'd me and asked for it to stop.. well he started the post ... he also offered other options .. some members are swayed by "free" parts... for me it was about the principle of the actions... knowing he did inferior work and making comments like " if you don't like it go buy a genuine"

what I CANNOT believe is here you have a member charging outrageous prices for work that is not even done .. and when Ziggy brings it to the attention of the forum.. he is accused of wanting to have it "all"

when you are the best at what you do.. it is easy for others to be jealous and envious..

the point I am making is that people would rather believe the BS that certain modders put out.. Zig has stuck his neck out for this community and then members from other forums take shots at him.. that's why i tend not to visit the other forums... I am a member who wears the "Colours" of RWG.. I see members take info from here .. claim credit on it on other forums..

Ziggy has tried to help other forums by giving his post to others to post on their forums only to be mocked...

Now I can expect this on the other forums.. but when our own do it.. that is unexceptable

time and again he has given warnings and post pics.. yet members still say he does this for his own personal gain..

that is the biggest Bull Excrement floating around !!!!!

The issue with Flav, is the same as with RBJ, and all the others.

When people start to lie and exagerate the facts, where does it stop? And how much do you accept?

I'll just add that I have nothing personal against Flav, or even RBJ. Take the emotion out of the discussion and my comments, and speak to the facts, and the quality of the workmanship that we have all seen from these two members.

I don't want to start any board war or anything else, that is not my intention. I saw Flav's workmanship first hand over 18 months, nothing changed, he continued to make the same mistakes after 18 months as he did initially. RC Tritec Super Lume is the best there is, C3 glows the brightest of all, this is a fact, check the RC Tritec website. Flav continues to claim he mixes up combinations of lume, that end up brighter than C3, when he admits that he dilutes it by mixing other stuff in it. If I mix 20% alcohol with 15%, I don't end up with 35% in the end. Saying anything else is lying.

The orange lumed dial he just posted on RG, which he claims he did with a naked eye no less, is the best lume I have seen in a long time. I do good lume work, and I promise you that I can't do it without a loupe, no one can, but Flav can, and he can also lume to an amazing skill level all of a sudden...does this not shock anyone who has seen any of his prior work? It sure shocks me... Yes members have been happy with his work, many more have been very displeased, why the lack of consistancy?

Again, nothing personal, just look at the facts. People buy into this and more, and I can't understand why no one asks hard questions and takes everything at face value.

This is the stuff, and RBJ was famous for it as well, that I just can't stomach. RWG is about helping members and presenting the truth and facts. This type of stuff is all BS and hype. I don't see the reasons behind it, offer a good service for a fair price with quality workmanship, and it's good for everyone.

I just can't help but speak out when I see something that screams in my face "scam" and members of all forums, deserve better, or maybe they don't...I don't know anymore.

Look at the whole TWP issue and the crap that came my way as a result of speaking up. And where did it all end...as it always does.

Anyway, I have to go, this is the reason I have to step back, I just can't help but to speak out when I see members being taken for a ride. I wish more would speak up, Navi tried on RG, but just got drowned in the BS and praise...it's a real shame.

As for my shooting myself in the foot by stepping back, that in itself should answer any questions anyone has raised about my loyalties or motives. Think about it...

And please don't read my comments with any anger or emotion attached to them, if anything I am disappointed that this stuff continues to take place, with members not stepping up and asking hard questions.

RG

The Zigmeister,

Definitelytake some time, enjoy the nice weather and come back soon, you will be drawn back, rep watch forums are like crack.

By the way, I never formerly thanked you; you took care of about 5 watches for me a couple of months ago and the work was top notch, and highly skilled. All are still ticking and looking pretty. I could not be more appreciative and will definitely need your services again sooner than later.

A couple of bad apples can spoil it for you, but I think there are more good members than bad on this forum that do value your time and contributions you make to the forum.

Cheers,

M

The Zigmeister, I also hope I am on your list of prefered customers. I just sent you 5 watches, lol. All I can say is that you are a great man of integrity and you contributions to this forum is one of the main reasons I am still here. You have worked on many of my watches and everyone has come back better than I expected. I am very lucky and fortunate that you live in Canada. I have chatted with Ken on numberous occations with the frustrations that plaguing our hobby. I know were are part of a very grey industry, but everyone should expect integrity and service. Besides Chieftang, you are the only guy that I trust to work on my watches. I hope things improve here and through other forums. Every member plays an intricate part in making sure this hobby remains enjoyable and that BS is kept to a minumum. Cheers The Zigmeister, you are a true gentleman and I hope you can come back again regularly when things get better.

Well, I'll say this for you The Zigmeister, your posts certainly do attract a crowd.

A few months back when you took a brief break, someone observed that you are the heart of this forum. I don't remember who it was (sorry) but I thought that was appropriate and concise. I never took your comments to bed anything but those of a man of integrity who is truly committed to his art and to ensuring members got value for their money.

But at the end of the day, this is a hobby, not a livelihood. To me, the test is simple. If you are not having fun than it is not worth it ... life is too short. When you feel ready and you miss it, maybe you'll be back.

Please look me up when if and when you get back to NY. All the best.

I can understand The Zigmeisters reason for being upset and annoyed.

BUT

what i dont get is the fact that he is in business. He makes money, yes money by modding etc...

In this world there will always be scammers and con artists, the existence of RWG doesnt make it any different. The Zigmeisters articles probably havent really created many scammers.

The fact that there are scammers or people who do under par work is good for The Zigmeister and its good business.

Im I the only one who is thinking like this? Surely as a business decision your shooting yourself in the foot big time!

I happen to have had the opportunity to get to know zig on a personal level - although he doesn't do his work for free - and he is very professional this is hardly a business for him - he is a working man just like most of us and has a very distinguished career in his field. He works on watches because the trade was in his family and he enjoys it. i think he enjoys the challenge.

His decisions on taking or not taking work are not related to business reasons - he doesn't need the $$ whereas i do believe that folks like RBJ tried to make a full time career out of doing this stuff

we are lucky to have him here to explain the inner workings of movements he has been a long and well respected member of the community and we can only hope that he will continue on whatever basis to give us the benefit of his knowledge and experience