When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch stolen in the mail!

client9

I ordered a Rolex Yachtmaster from Eurotimez and received the package today. Before opening the package, I thought to myself, "This must be a really light watch because this package doesn't weigh a thing!" Well surprise, surprise, there was nothing inside! The package had obviously been tampered with while in transit. They had cut the side of the package open with scissors and sliced through the bubble wrap with a knife. They then resealed the package with tape.

This is my first time buying a rep. I'm wondering: Is stolen mail a common occurrence when buying a rep? Out of all the packages sent from Thailand or China, why did they choose to open mine? Do you think the postal workers know about Eurotimez's packages?

Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

client9

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah that sucks man :(:angry:

What shipping method did you choose and where are you based? It has happened to a few members here and on other boards. Its highly unlikely they know about EuroTimez's packages, I'm guessing the x-ray scan showed a watch, and they decided to open the package, thinking it was a fake as it came from Thailand.

Email Chris and let him know of the situation. It really does sadden and anger me when I read about these incidents. Luckily it has never happened to me, but I can understand what the buyer must be going through.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Ive had three packages opened and the contents stolen in the last year. 2 going to Europe arrived empty, and one entering the US from Canada. But I think my issue is being narrowed down to the local postoffice. The USPS is very interested in investigating mail theft and the inspector that is working with me calls me almost weekly. He has even suggested a mini-sting operation where a package would be sent by me (with his assistance) so that they can track it through the postal system.

One thing to consider is that part of the international mail system regulations state that customs bureaus are required to weigh packages and mark the correct weight on the customs documents. This SHOULD assist in determining if the package was opened and the contents removed prior to arriving internationally, or after it arrived. BUT, in the case of Italy at least... this is not done.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Interesting, Im in California USA also... Maybe someone in customs does have sticky fingers. I doubt many people file insurance claims on elicit goods.

No if it was customs there will always be some documentation, it looks like a forwarder or Post Office worker has done this.

Contact Eruotimez and see what he suggests, there is also the fact that as he is the one that posted the package only he can raise a concern about it with the postal service.

Ken

[censored] thieves!!! I woulda flipped out and said it was a $700 seiko and tell them to open a claim on it for internal postal theft. Or take some pics of the box and write some letters to the big wigs at USPS or whatever.. If they wanna lie and steal then YOU lie and get them to look into it. You'll never get anything back but maybe it will open some eyes. Im sure this happens ALL the time :(

It sucks when you cant even trust the post office anymore.

wow that sucks, I'm still lucky with 30 arriving safely....wonder if it is possible to have it shipped insured? Must be possible, only not stating what is inside but say: watchparts worth...$75: when it gets stolen you will have at least the $ 75.........

No if it was customs there will always be some documentation, it looks like a forwarder or Post Office worker has done this.

Contact Eruotimez and see what he suggests, there is also the fact that as he is the one that posted the package only he can raise a concern about it with the postal service.

Ken

Plus, Customs in the U.S. uses special tape indicating that they've officially inspected the parcel and it's contents. If the parcel was sealed with plain packing tape, then it was an 'unofficial' inspection and likely confiscated by someone with sticky fingers...

If customs opens the package they will stick a note inside saying hat your counterfeit watch was found and has been seize by customs and blah blah blah.

They will not send you an empty bag.

trust me this happened to me.

Regards

I had a similar case recently ... though in mine, most likely it was stolen straight from my mailbox.

In your case .... dont really know what you can do.

You can claim from the post office (.... you can say was a real watch inside) .... but they will reply that "most likely" was send that way (empty) and there is nothing they can do about it.

Maybe the only thing that can save us from these kind of actions is having packages send "certified" and "insurred".

Then can only be delivered upon signature (check before you sign) and then you can claim insurance.

In any case Eurotimez (for whom I was under the impression that he was shipping from Europe) should replace the watch.

It sucks ....

Guest avitt

If Eurotimez is dropshipping from Thailand, then is was probably stolen in the Thai post.

I once had the same thing happen with a package coming from TH. When I contacted the dealer, he mentioned that this had happened to several packages from the same shipment (indicating a local theft, at the source). He also indicated that some small bribe money could be paid, to help keep this from happening.

Dutch Post/TNT has a special service:insured shipment, it will be insured fbetween EU500 and max EU 5000, when lost or damaged, you will get paid the value stated on the form you filled in

I'm sure postal service in every country has that option

Thai thefts almost invariably dissapear the whole item (not its contents)

If Thai Regd Air mail, forget insurance !

All you can check is backtrack the postage paid...go to Thai Post site and use the Postage calculator to see to weight paid for when it went over the Post Office counter

I remember watching a UK documentary a few years back about how thefts and mail losses were occuring in one of the main city depots (I think one of the sub-areas of London, but can't honestly remember for sure...)

One problem, was that temporary staff, were being given duties which policy dictated they should not be doing. For example, someone had to be working for the post office for X amount of time before being allowed to do mail deliveries. These temps were being allowed to do mail deliveries on their first day. This was compounded by the fact that, as migrant workers, their grasp of English was somewhat 'tenuous', and many loads of mail were simply being dumped in public litter bins rather than being delivered. Other footage showed other temp workers stealing letters and small parcels from the sorting office, if they thought there might be contents of value.

Needless to say, I've never had much faith in mail companies, even though I've never yet (jinxed it now :lol: ) had mail coming to me, or being sent by me stolen or tampered with... That said, my mum did once order a picture frame which arrived with the glass cracked. Inspection of the box, showed boot prints where someone had jumped on the parcel with both feet. I don't think I'll ever understand that kind of mentality.

With regards the missing goods mentioned here, am I right in thinking that tampering with the US Mail is considered a federal offence, with heavy punishments? If so (I mean, I hope so :lol: ) then whoever has had sticky fingers, will well and truly wind up getting their ass handed to them, legally speaking, once they're identified and caught ;)

Can you be more specific about USPS insurance only covering $50?

I've shipped all my USPS items w/ insurance. I had one instance of an item insured to $250 being destroyed (run over by a mail truck). The buyer contacted me, I contacted USPS, and received a refund in the insured amount. Might be different with missing items, but given proof that they delivered a run-over item, USPS paid the claim.

Yep, it is a serious federal offense.

Hee hee, something tells me that the postie with the sticky fingers is going to soon be buying lots of soap on a rope, and making friends with someone called 'Bubba' ;) All for the price of a stolen watch... The judge should allow them to keep it though, so they can use it to track the time of their incarceration B)

Yes, because rape is funny.

I'm going OT here, but according to some people I know who work in the system, rape isn't as common in there as we're lead to believe. I mean come on, it's a bunch of ignorant tough guys, what self respecting tough guy wants to ummm...touch another man? And rape is never funny.

On topic, the thief will eventually get caught, and that will stop future losses, but unfortunately it wont get anyone's watches back. Bittersweet. I do hope it is sooner rather than later.