When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Movement: Compact Subdial Spaced 7750?

Mickey Padge

Concerning the pre-2000 Zenith Daytona, let's not forget one thing. Even though the tighter sub-dial spacing will be a huge visual improvement, there is also the question of the movements thickness. As it is, all 7750 base Daytonas' need to use a case that is too thick to accomodate the movement's thickness. I doubt this can be accomplished when reworking a A7750, and so making a El Primero franken will still be a bit better than an updated rep, but still we shall see.

Very true however I think that most people would have a higher risk of being called out on the subdial spacing that the case thickness on the wrist. Still, you are 100% correct- there's nothing like the El Primo Frankens :) (well, 'cept the gen ;) )

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doubt this can be accomplished when reworking a A7750, and so making a El Primero franken will still be a bit better than an updated rep, but still we shall see.

...more accurate...but a heckuva lot more money, time and risk!!!

A reworked A7750 with servicing will still be half the price of the movement along on an El Primero project!!

Very true however I think that most people would have a higher risk of being called out on the subdial spacing that the case thickness on the wrist. Still, you are 100% correct- there's nothing like the El Primo Frankens :) (well, 'cept the gen ;) )

...more accurate...but a heckuva lot more money, time and risk!!!

A reworked A7750 with servicing will still be half the price of the movement along on an El Primero project!!

All good points, anyway you slice it, this is interesting news indeed. I'll be watching for a tear down review of this with great interest.

All good points, anyway you slice it, this is interesting news indeed. I'll be watching for a tear down review of this with great interest.

Me too. My fear is that they had to add extra gears to move things around, and skimped out on the jewells so the reliability will be off. As far as I know, the tricompax modded 7750s weren't a timebomb the same way as the seconds at 6 is...so, hopefully they were able to get away with just changing the positioning.

Bit late on this thread i know but, is the subdial spacing exact to say, a moonwatch. In otherwords could a gen dial be used on this movement? Also whats the hands sizing.

Josh, can you you give us this info please. I got a speedy caseset and domed plexi dying for a movement and gen dial.

Cheers

P.

I wish they would create some on the possible "no date" watches first, as I am not interested in these sunken date watches, it is a flaw I cannot seem to live with.....

Get the pre-2000 Daytona ready! A new thin case and hour stick markers, and they will sell by the bucket load! At least if this movement is decent :)

The review is coming....

img1991l.jpg

Francisco.

Is this the movement in the new UPO Chrono? I thought Mickey had posted a pic of the movement which looked a bit different....was i mistaken?

This is definitely interesting. I wonder how that tighter spacing has been possible to achieve...

It's not just Daytona that can benefit from this... but also the whole Omega Speedmaster lineup.

Totally agree. Ebel 1911 BTR and Breguet Aero Type XL can also benefit from this.

Is this the movement in the new UPO Chrono? I thought Mickey had posted a pic of the movement which looked a bit different....was i mistaken?

The movement picture I posted before was a standard 3, 6, 9 7750, to show the reason why the date was recessed because of the transfer gears....

The picture from Francisco is the newly modded 7750 :)