When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Gift, a Watch and a Death

vlydog

About 10 years ago a good friend asked me to help him and his wife start a business. I was between jobs at the time so I devoted three weeks of my time to them whole-heartily.

A side note on this story is that my friend's family owns a jewelry company with an atelier and retail space.

This company is quite successful and their pieces show up regularly in the windows and cases of Tiffany, Cellini and the Wynn in LV. My friend

There are many factor involved in this decision...Are you still close to your friend's wife, brother, and other family?

Unless you have a pressing need for the funds, I would suggest holding onto this piece. Wear it occasionally, in tribute to your friend's memory.

There is also the point that if it is the same watch that is seen in your link then it far surpasses anything on the rep scene.

And remember you only need some celebrity to start wearing them and their value will skyrocket.

Ken

I cannot tell you what the best move is. However, many years ago, I received a leather motorcycle vest from the wife of a friend who passed away. While I have never worn it (nor plan to - leather vests are not my style), I have kept it all these years for sentimental reasons. On the other hand, had he not been such a good friend, I would not have accepted the vest in the 1st place. Or, if I had, I would have gotten rid of it within a year if I knew I would never wear it.

Really tough decision. One could argue that you have the experience of the journey and the thought of your friend. One could also say, he wanted you to have the watch to show his gratitude for all your efforts. You friend could have saw the gift as a connection between you and him.

I would keep it for the fact that through the process of effort and time you will get additional funds to feed the addiction.

You can never get some thing again from someone you have lost no matter the amount of time or effort you exhaust.

You may just one day realize you want the watch back if you sold it.

At the end of the day, the decision is really yours, regardless of what others think, right or wrong, it is your decision and no one should tell you made the wrong one.

It's quite a stunning watch Vly. I would keep it if it were me.

I have a gold watch that belonged to my Grandfather. I really dislike gold anything (unless it's white gold) so I never, ever wear it. It was handed down to me after he passed away. While I never wear it, it is the only thing that I have of his and I was there when my grandmother gave it to him for Christmas. Granted it's family, but I would do the same for a friend as well.

Keep it.

I have received many expensive and non expensive gifts from friends over the years. Gifts given that have no special context to them I have never had a problem letting go of if they didn't suit me. The watch you received from your friend does have a special context. It was a thank you for helping him make a dream come true.

Others might be able to do it, but I could never part with a memory like that.

This is a very personal matter.. and being that this is a community of extended family .. I can see why you ask :)

A man that spent most of his life on earth in penitentiaries, taught me the what the "word" love means..

"Genuine concern and caring for another human being".. period !! .. your friend surely thought this of you when he gifted you the timepiece.. forgetting the "value' of it now..as far as in $$$$..... it was meant as a "gesture" of love ..in appreciation of who and what you meant to this person ....can't put a price tag on that..

If it were me, and I had to sell everything to support my family then I would do it.. otherwise ... it would be like selling memories of a dear friend, at that point in my life...and I'm sure I would have regrets about it later..

that being said.. vly,.. you would not have asked if you didn't feel the same :)

AC

Lani

First of all my condolances for the loss of your friend.

Second the fact that you opened up this topic points out that maybe you don't want to sell it at all and want confirmation for that fact.

I personally would keep it but don't know your financial situation.

Your friend prob. would'nt have wanted to see you starve or get into trouble and he would rather have had you sell off the piece so that your out of trouble

If you can afford to keep it. i would!

Looking at it brings back hopefully good memories.

If looking at it doesn't or give off a strange vibe then i would sell it or give it to a close relative of his

Think really well because when you regret selling it, replacing it like a rep isnt possible for this limited piece

the watch is just a representation of his appreciation. It is not tied to either of you...it is just a thing. Your friend gave it to you because he wanted you to be happy. He still wants you to be happy, and therefore, you should used it in whatever way makes you happiest.

Only you can make this decision.

Guilt and regret will last a lot longer than the new car smell of whatever rep you are anxious to buy with the proceeds.

One way to look at it- Dont do something you wouldn't do if your friend was still around standing right next to you.

If this is the watch, its truly a nice piece! Surprised you won't wear it. Try a new strap maybe?

Picture1-1.png

You will know what to do. I think you already do.