When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This is for all the 40+ guys out there

panerai153

First off if this post is inappropriate for this forum, mods feel free to delete or move. Since it is a general discussion forum, I thought this would be the best place to post

This post is directed at all you forum members, male over age 40. Although I

Well said, and thanks for putting this out there. If we pride ourselves on being a Band of Brothers, then this goes with the territory. A brother worth his salt would be ready and willing to kick you in the backside and make you go get your annuals.

I'd like to add, you can never get enough cardio exercize, as well. My closest friend, same age as me, dropped dead of a heart attack a few weeks ago.

Skip the elevator, take the stairs. Park on the far side of the parking lot and walk. Find ways to add exercize to the small things in your life. Try to work up a good 15 minute sweat twice a day.

The life you save... may be yours. :victory:

Nanug, you are so right. unfortunately, eating right (my wife is a healthy food nut, we never eat fast food everything from scratch. As much organic as we can find) Exercise is so important. I never use the elevator at work, I climb stairs all day going to visit patients, Labor and delivery from the OR, work outside keeping up a big yard and adjacent 15 acres of land. All of this is great, andI'm sure has helped me immensly to heal quicker and with no complications thus far. But the key as you said are the exams, especially the Digital (Rectal). I'm sure I had this cancer for several years as it is very slow growing, but a Digital exam by a Urologist, or at the least and internist or family Dr. who knows what he's feeling is of utmost importance. That's where I went wrong.

Ehhh... I'm not over 40 yet, but I was just talking to kruzer about Dr. visits this morning on the phone. Seems I only go in to see my physician when I feel like shite; otherwise, I just don't go. I've never had a physical... I should probably do that :wounded1:

Yea, you should bangin.gif Annual physicals are your only means of early detection.

On a related matter, I am 48 and going for my first colonoscopy on Friday. Yes, it is unpleasant and the prep is a pain in the ass (no pun intended), but in the long run, it is good preventative medicine. For you guys that are pushing 50 or older, I would recommend that you get an annual physical and follow your doctors recommendations.

Marty

Thanks a lot for posting this! Somebody will thank you one day!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I myself is a candidate.....my father was diagnose with Prostate Cancer 15 years ago.......but luckily for him, it's one of those slow PC kind! And since my Dad is one of those who hates Hospitals and Doctors, he won't budge on having it removed or undergo treatment! "I'll die first before those basterds touch me!".....LOl! is his mantra~! You don't wanna go on a very long drive with him, you'll go crazy with all the frequent stop! We all accepted it in the family!

Because of this, I have had prostate check and PSA test annaully since I turned 45.......my Doctor knows the map of my ASS pretty well, I might say! This is something that us older Gentlemen should not take lightly........it's like "Russian Roullete" if you don't!

I also have Colonoscopy done last year......and thanks for that, I found out I have upper GI problems. Been taking medications for this for almost a year now!

I'll be 55 this year and I don't wanna play Russian Roullete with my health! I'd rather climb a mountain or scuba dive and die there than having something preventable kill me!

As what Nanuq said....exercise is one thing we all could and should do to prevent some of this sneaky killers! I do Nanuqs advice to the later and more! I do aerobics exercise everyday......just can't run anymore, severe Patella Chondromalacia on my right knee. I either walk, hike (HIKEUSA!), cross country ski, mountain bike, elliptical machine in the gym, and lots of outdoor activities in the summer!

And for us old farts, we need to lift weights! We loose our strenght faster as we get older and the only way to prevent this is by lifting weights! I do it 3 time a week hitting different muscle groups each time!

So Guys......just do it!

and I need to add.....if you don't get a lot of SUN, take 1000IU of Vit D! Take Fish oil, too! and for those on Cholesterol medication and even if you're not, take CQ10 300MG/Day! This helps strenghtening your heart muscles and also preventing muscle weakening as a side effects of Statins! These three have been studied and tested enough to make me a believer! Google is you're friend if you need convincing!

@Panearai.....good luck on your recovery and please update us on your status! Wishing you the best!

F-

Coronary artery disease or blocked arteries is a condition diagnosed via a dedicated medical history, a thorough physical examination, electrocardiogram, coronary angiography, a chest x-ray and prescribed blood tests. The blood tests are usually conducted to analyze and evaluate cholesterol level, diabetes and the thyroid hormone. The treatment of blocked arteries involves, first and foremost, educating the patient on the life-threatening condition and explaining the outcome of the disease. Further damage can be prevented with the help of:

• Lifestyle changes like cessation of the smoking habit, a dedicated diet plan and very importantly, regular exercise.
  • Medication prescribed by the doctor, which commonly includes beta-blockers, calcium-channel blockers and nitrates. Thrombolytic drugs are also prescribed to address the need to dissolve blood clots, by increasing the blood plasmin level. Blood volume and pressure are lessened with the help of diuretics such as Esidrix and Diuril. Medication for blocked arteries also includes ACE inhibitors, angiotensin-2, vasodilators and statins.
  • Surgical procedures such as coronary artery bypass and angioplasty or percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. In the case of coronary artery bypass, the chest area is opened and a short vein length from the thigh or lower leg is used to enable the passage of blood around the blocked region. In the case of coronary angioplasty, a hollow tube or guide catheter is inserted into the region and with the help of an x-ray image, the doctor inserts the catheter into the blocked coronary artery. The catheter balloon is inflated within the 'blocked' region and the artery is re-opened.

Panerai 153 you absolutaly right that men should get a check up every year when they are past 40-45.

Good to hear that the cancer didn't spread further through your body.

Henrik_6 good to hear that you are free of cancer for 5 years now.

Indeed cancer in the testicel is very dangerous.

A good friend of mine had it almost 20 years ago with some small spots on his lungs and he's still kicking and alive.

In 2007 a posted my story in the off topic section asking "what's important ".

After breaking my femur bone the diagnosed a tumor , with the size of a big orange , that caused the breaking as malignant kidney cancer.

My left kidney was removed 1 month later and know i'm on a regular check every 3 months ( next thursday is my next apointment ).

Unfortunately there is no treadment for kidney cancer , but i'm clean for more almost 2 years now and a feel great.

Most important thing after you are diagnosed with cancer is that you keep believing that you will survive.

And life your live to the max every day.

Thanks again for sharing your story Panerai153 and you will survive

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thank you for this Infomation. It dosen't matter If we have heard this before or not. I think all of us guys In the high risk and maybe not so high risk need to be reminded from time to time. I know that I did, thank you very much :) Mike

Thank you Panerai for this post...very important information.

I am a physician myself, and prostate cancer is extremely difficult to get a handle on with regards to treatment.

If you take all men over 65 who die from other causes (heart attack, car accident, stroke, etc), a very significant number of them will have some carcinoma cells within the prostate on autopsy.

The point being that quite a few men have prostate cancer cells (that are living and active), without developing signs of prostate cancer.

My father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer 10 years ago, and with quite benign treatment (TURP and ongoing chemo) he shows no sign of the disease today.

The main point is follow up with your physician, and regular check ups.

And, whenever possible, ejaculate like it will be your last. Your prostate will thank you (not because you are preventing disease, but just because it's happy).

Garrett

Great post Panerai153 and speedy recovery. Along with HikeUSA I`m also turning doublenickle this year and have my annual done every year right after my bday.

And, whenever possible, ejaculate like it will be your last. Your prostate will thank you (not because you are preventing disease, but just because it's happy).

Garrett

Quote of the month.... :1a:

Hi Arthur,

Good to hear from you. I still remembered to this date, that one of my very first PM was to you in the old RWG I believe, which you led me to the Zigman, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I wish you a speedy recovery. I have taken my health for granted. I am 36, I really don't know why. I am a type 2 diabetic, and I have been sloppy with food and exercising. I was once well within my blood sugar level, but these days, I even take that for granted and have not tested myself as much each day, as I should.

This I hope, is a wake up call to me, and many others on the forum. I'll make sure I'll go hit the gym this weekend, and do some cardio and weights. And believe it or not, I have had a prostate exam when I was 32 years old. I suffered a groin injury and one of the urologists that I saw did give me a prostate exam. and wow, was that painful! I remembered that day vividly as well.

Thank you for sharing your story, I do thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will now give my healthy lifestyle a reboot right now, and vow to follow through.....

Amazing stories and great advice here guys, and I wish the best for a speedy recovery.

I had to see a urologist when I was 28 because I had pain in my testicles and prostate area. He sent me off to get ultrasounds because apparently 25-35 is the highest risk for testicular cancer. I ended up going to a urologist and getting a prostate check and more urine checks. Yes its uncomfortable but when it comes to your health its worth it. Came up all clear anyway.

When it comes to matters like this, there is no need for embarrassment, just drop the draws and get a medical expert to make sure you are ok. I know this is why a lot of men don't make it.

Best wishes for your recovery.

This is an interesting and serious topic. Screening is vital, but it's also important to be careful with what action to take because people can freak out when it's cancer. (I just mention this from family experience (no expert) - not everyone is a health care professional like Panerai153).

The wider the screening, the more false positives there are. And the problems with unnecessary treatments have to be factored into the benefits. (It can be similar with breast cancer I understand).

Surprisingly prostate cancer is often very slow growing (10 years+), so often they leave it largely untreated these days in older men, because statistically they're more likely to keel over from something else before this gets them*. Then they start treatment when it reaches a serious stage (like the fellow above). I know someone that has been 'undiagnosed' with prostate cancer, it turned out to be a viral infection (from memory) increasing the levels. The wait and see panned out pretty well there.

[*i.e. The kinds of studies Panerai153 was referring to]

The point is, upon diagnosis everyone was shocked that the plan was to do....basically nothing (but keep monitoring).

Anyway, there are better qualified people than me to discuss it, I just thought it was something useful to keep in mind. It surprised me.

None of which reduces the importance of screening and monitoring, just to keep a level head with the results.

Well, I am not only over 40, but over 50... well, over 60.

I have heard Doctors say that one might get prostate cancer, but it so benign that no one ever dies from it.

We have learned a lot since then.

Diet comes up from time to time as a palliative treatment for avoidance of the problem.

Here is the quotation from by wife, a Registered Dietitian ("nutritionist" has no such legal status or requirement; we would all qualify for that) and Licensed Clinical Dietitian:

"There is no known diet which is proven to reduce the risk of prostate cancer".

See your doctor.

Carl

Thank you for sharing your story panerai153 and i am glad you came out on top and you are all right.

I am turning 47 in couple months and i am always trying to stay and eating healthy but sometime you never know.

Take care.

Thanks very much to all of you who posted. I wish I could write to every one of you to thank you for your wishes for a speedy recovery.

My motive in this post was to tell my story and to let everyone know that even though most Prostate Cancers are usually slow growing, some are not. Early recognition is the key. If you get PSA