When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap or Bracelet?

freddy333

Freddy, i am torn, the white dial looks great on leather, now if it was a black dial i would say definatly bracelet but the white dial maybe the leather is better, i am a big fan of the bracelets though.

You make hard questions mate, a bit like asking me wish of your GMTs i would rather have for christmas :whistling:

always bracelet on sport Rolex. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I dont even care for nato straps.

Maybe a nice croc strap on a datejust or something if you like that look, but its not for me. The only watches I ever wear on leather is my Pam 196 and 127

I agree with the above comments about Rolex sports watches and bracelets, but, and this is a big but, the dauphine hands and white dial make the watch classy/elegant/formal enough to make the strap the better (IMO) choice. The bracelet looks wrong to my eyes, with the strap looking like a perfect match for the watch :) I would also agree that a Tropic-Style strap would probably also work quite well, with the basket-weave texture lending enough gravitas to outweigh the 'rubber strap sportiness', so also well worth a try if you have one :)

Which do you prefer & why?

strap_vs_bracelet.jpg

Freddy, My vote is a croc strap hand stitched of course. Aligoat has the right idea croc on vintage tool watches is ideal. If you want to source a great hand stitched strap...happy to help..Regards, mcotter

Bracelet - In this case with the white dial it helps balance the size. The dark strap against the white face over-emphasizes the head IMHO.

Bracelet = Balance

Edit to add: Just looked at the pics again, the leather draws my eyes/attention to the bezel/red V. The bracelet keeps me focused on the dial center. (Not unlike the right clothing either drawing attention away or toward someones face)

It always depends on the watch. That is, if it is a dive, then I prefer rubber everytime. Sport, then ss bracelet.

Rarely leather straps for me, but then again on my Pam Black Seal I wear a classic MP leather with sewn buckle.

Mostly rubber or SS bracelet for larger sport/diver 41 or 42 mm.

If you are in to dress type cases, ie. Lange or Brequet, or Patek, then classic croc/alligator would be standard.

Watch style dictates strap style IMO.

Personally, I am a bracelet person, simply because down here in the "tropical South" straps get pretty nasty,really fast.Even my NATO straps need washing almost every day. In the case of your T-graph, I believe the strap is better. although it's a sport watch, it is certainly dressier than a sub or SD. I would bet that this one is not one that you would be out in the hot summer mowing the lawn or splitting firewood! So in the case of a dressier watch, a strap.

Thanks, All, for your perceptive input & Jojo pretty much hit the quandary nail on the head. Especially, in the case of the original/standard 6202, which came with black matte (Sub-like) dial. For me at least, that watch had to be on a steel bracelet. However, the De Luxe version of the 6202, often appeared in Rolex catalogs with either a rivet bracelet (7205) or a leather strap, very similar to the strap I 1st fit onto the head (in this pic, you can see 1 of the many dial/hand variations of the De Luxe 6202 - I have come across at least 6 dial/handset variations so far)

1270309583.jpg

Good arguments for and against. Do you have a spare 7205 that could be used for a visual demonstration? What endlinks does the 6202 take? 57s?

And while I love vintage Tropic rubber, I think it would look borderline anachronistic on an early-50s Turn-O-Graph.

EDIT: Whoops! My workplace firewall was blocking pictures in the OP, and I couldn't see the side-by-side. Now I'm leaning towards brown leather as the primary choice. I would choose an original 'Rolex of Geneva' brown croc.

I think you have to look at each watch on its own merits that turn o graph with the white dial just looks horny with the leather strap it looks too plain with the stainless bracelet.

You look like you are spoiled for choice on what to throw on the arm. I bet that would be a comfortable watch with the leather strap. It just pops with the contrast on the dark colour. Another sweet watch and nice pics.

Edited by Red Series 3