When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A 1675 GMT found near Betania (Colombia)

Andei3000

The whole story was beginning there: 1675 dials

and has ended so far with this post.

The last few years I was mostly interested in Panerai and then Pre-V-Panerai and then Vintage Panerai...

Logical step after vintage Panerai was a vintage Rolex - as those companies have a strong relationship in the past.

A contemporary Rolex is to sterile for my tastes, I wanted a piece with

an interesting background and this is where it all starts:

For an accurate 1675 build following parts are needed and were bought:

-Josh's 1:1 Rolex 1655

-wholesaleoutlets bezel-assembly

-cousinsuk Plexi with datemag

-gen insert

-and a gen dial found near Betania

This is the story which the seller told me:

The whole watch was found 10 years ago near Betania in Colombia.

It has been parted out, as most parts where not repairable due to the fact, that this watch was found near a plane crash site which crashed in 1972. :nuke:

This got me interested and I searched for that crash and came to the horrible fact, that 39 people died in this tragedy. :cry:

So the watch was lying there for almost 28 years, with broken plexi and that's why the dial looks that way.

My goal was to achieve the look of that particular watch which has been exposed to the elements for almost three decades.

IMHO it would be a shame to restore a dial with such an interesting background!

And now for the pictures:

b961qcwcgkkgrhqnleeyjc2.jpg

dialinsert.jpg

rolex1675001.jpg

rolex1675002.jpg

rolex1675004.jpg

dsc4800.jpg

dsc4790.jpg

dsc4814y.jpg

dsc4770.jpg

rolex1675005.jpg

thanks for reading my tale ;)

but this is the story I'm going to tell, if anyone will ever ask me, why my

watch looks like a truck hit it :rofl:

Andei

p.s.: I want to thank all who contributed with their wisdom to create this watch!

Insert is gen and was bought that way for a lovely sum of 90$ :)

The hands were lumed with a mixture of watercolors, glowinc and a binder that shrinks to get the puffy effect.

Then they were sprayed with clear matte spray from Tamiya and instantly touched up with a papertowel - that's the trick.

Very, very nice!

There's another trick for hands you should try: make some very strong espresso with crema. Then use a q-tip and apply the crema foam, not the liquid, to the hands, covering the metal and lume. The crema will dissolve down to a liquid, and migrate to the edges of the lume, making them darker, and will leave very nice "corrosion" on the metal.

Very, very nice!

There's another trick for hands you should try: make some very strong espresso with crema. Then use a q-tip and apply the crema foam, not the liquid, to the hands, covering the metal and lume. The crema will dissolve down to a liquid, and migrate to the edges of the lume, making them darker, and will leave very nice "corrosion" on the metal.

That is genius Nanuq! I'll definitely going to try this method on my next vintage project :clapping:

@flex

A cheapo a21 movement, as it does everything it should do and is easy to replace :)

@cib0rgman

I bought two plexis: Cousins reference number: C19225 and C8496

I don't know which one I used in the end, but at 4,30 GBP a piece, not much money is lost. :)

Thanks all for your kind words, it came out exactly how I wanted it to look like :thumbsup: