When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does a member's post count ...........count ?

sgtguk

Does another members post count reflect how we treat them?

I've been a member for a while now but tbh still consider myself a noob in lots of ways, I've spoken to and dealt with lots of members, from the guy who just joined to others who have been around reps most of their adult life and have an enviable knowledge of the minutia of each model in the reps they choose to collect.

When I first joined I had been lurking (like most of us do) for a good few weeks trying to read up and find out about the models I was interested in buying, in fact the first thing I looked for were the tells on an Omega Smp to stop me buying a rep online, So glad I found this place  :)

I choose to join up here first as I'd had a look at another site and decided that I felt more comfortable here than I would have there, simple. One of the things I liked here was the way the membership interacted with each other and especially with noobs such as me, they had a laugh and obviously knew their shit about reps, for me posting on any given thread was a very daunting experience especially when I knew sod all about it, but it's gotten easier with time and knowledge learnt ! 

On other boards I've seen noobs really taken to task over stupid things they have said never to be seen posting on the board again. There will always be the weekly 'who makes the best Sub' threads but the forum will only thrive if we can attract a more involved membership.

My question is this, when you speak/post or contact another member on the forum do you base an opinion on them by how many posts they have made and/or join date, or do you first give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise? 

Tread your own path..................... :inverted:

• Like 1

Meeeeh quality surely surpasses quantity.

And more deeply, its about the definition of a 'noob'

Someone who is polite, want to learn, ask good questions, make the easy searches by himself, show some interest and curiosity is not a noob, he's a new member of the team!

At the opposite, when an old fella just lay on its post count and makes no more effort to be nice...

I never saw that on this board, but it happens on other boards ...

At the end, it's just about learning and connecting with people every day!

Sent from a Nexus 4 using Tapathing.

"My question is this, when you speak/post or contact another member on the forum do you base an opinion on them by how many posts they have made and/or join date, or do you first give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise?"

I go by what they say and how they say it.

Who makes the worst sub?

Over the years I have had really nice interactions and disasters with Noobs so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and focus on the content of their posts. I only factor in post count when it relates to a potential trade or sale - not that I refuse to do business with nephytes but I do proceed more cautiously. Too many people who quickly come on the forums are looking for the instant gratification and don't understand the limitations and difficulties with reps and how things can go wrong or they are not perfect. They think they are buying gens and expect gen-like perfection and even service. They also don't know the rules of the road. Having said that I have seen many quality people come (and go) who do have something to add - whether simply friendship or knowledge. I also expect the vast majority of noobs to disappear for any number of reasons - just looking for the best rep of something, has other things to do, just doesn't take to the whole hobby, etc.

Good topic, mate. :)

Number of posts count, but also, the quality of posts. 

There are guys here that chat a lot, post incessantly on everything that they have a passing acquaintance with. I am sometimes guilty of it, and my accomplice is free time.
There are also those, that does not have many post counts, but make every of their post count through contribution of technical knowledge, and modification know-hows. They earn their reputation in a different way.

I respect the veterans here based on how long they have been a member on RWG, rather than only post counts. I respect those that are here for a longer period than I have been, and I respect those that know more than I do.

Even the mighty oak starts its life as a relatively lowly acorn, so I always give the benefit of doubt to newbies, unless they start their life on RWG by asking "who has the best sub"? and then disappearing without gratitude forever. To me, its always politeness and courtesy given until it meets the wall of resistance put up by the attitude of assholism.

I will then whip out the whips, guns and shurikens and chuck them without mercy until the "best sub" question ceases to issue from their bloody frothing lips. 

I believe that both count, but there have been some excellent well thought out posts by folks who haven't been around for long. If you bring knowledge to the table, it really doesn't make any difference whether it's your 25th post or you 3500th. Unfortunately, at times we tend to overlook posts by noobs, because we look at their post count. What we don't know is a noobs past history, just because they are new here doesn't mean that they are new to watches.

Like watchmeister, I do look at post counts when I'm selling or buying, mainly because I find that veterans who know the ropes, know the ropes. They know how to pack a watch for shipping, how to use Paypal without sending up a big red flag, and usually are better at communicating, simply because they have done it numerous times before. If you want to see what happens when a bunch of noobs get tangled up, all you have to do is go to the watch sales section and read the 61 post thread related to the sale of a Tudor Snowflake. It's almost amusing, but it is serious as it shows how a couple of noobs and a seller who isn't clear about his sales rules turns a simple sale into a debacle.

I believe that both count, but there have been some excellent well thought out posts by folks who haven't been around for long. If you bring knowledge to the table, it really doesn't make any difference whether it's your 25th post or you 3500th. Unfortunately, at times we tend to overlook posts by noobs, because we look at their post count. What we don't know is a noobs past history, just because they are new here doesn't mean that they are new to watches.

Like watchmeister, I do look at post counts when I'm selling or buying, mainly because I find that veterans who know the ropes, know the ropes. They know how to pack a watch for shipping, how to use Paypal without sending up a big red flag, and usually are better at communicating, simply because they have done it numerous times before. If you want to see what happens when a bunch of noobs get tangled up, all you have to do is go to the watch sales section and read the 61 post thread related to the sale of a Tudor Snowflake. It's almost amusing, but it is serious as it shows how a couple of noobs and a seller who isn't clear about his sales rules turns a simple sale into a debacle.

I went to read the thread and was quite amused. 

The seller was actually a member here for over 6 years but with very few posts...

I sincerely believe it was a case of genuine miscommunication.

Your points, however, are valid and true in my opinion. :drinks:

I treat other members how I wish to be treated, but this does depend on how someone posts asking for help.  I cannot stand reading a newbies first post where not only have they failed to introduce themselves, they post a question that looks, and reads like a half ass attempt as though its the end of the world, and rushed.

I guess the above latter, rushing, diving in without knowing what movement a rep does/is, you get the point, then they come on here after their purchase, and if from a TD, they will moan, and state its flaws, but fail to mention they have purchased the cheapest Sillix rep there is expecting it to be a high end rep.

Time in, post count, content all play in the mix. I have dealt with noob's first buy here on a few occasions without incident so am not gun shy when it comes to dealing with new members. Now a 5-6 hundred rep maybe not so unconcerned 100 dollar item ,roll the dice. As far as questions I try to answer ones that I deem have merit, the obvious noob in a hurry to get a watch and never seen again ones not so much. As others have commented on other boards it is a full time sport roasting noobs, thank goodness we hold ourselves above that.

In terms of how u communicate with them, a member's post count shouldn't matter. They....I mean we (noobs) should be treated based on the content of our posts. I never find myself looking at post count. Maybe Ill take note of the join date but the post count is inconsequential where simple interaction is concerned.

I do take the point of looking at post count and join date when trying to conduct business with someone. That only makes sense.

I will add that most with high post counts have been here a long time and as such they have become a part of the community.

Many noobs will travel the same path but there are those that will clash to a point that they will be short term members and that is what you need to try and define when you first start interacting.

Ken

• 6 months later...

I guess this is like the question does size matter. LoL Just like with that if you know what your doing or in this case saying i dont think it matters. lol

Just like in life I always give someone the benefit of the doubt untill they prove otherwise. 

Does this answer the question...... ??????     ;)