When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware of bad watch makers and 'easy fixes'

Rolexman

I just wanted to share my latest experience. I bought a fairly new rep in the member sales section which was described as 'not running' and 'easy fix'. I knew what I was buying and as I can do everything myself the risk was low. I went ahead and the deal went very smooth so kudos to the seller. No bad word about him. The watch was shipped lightning fast and was in fairly good cosmetic condition and well packed.

I knew he bought the watch recently of RWI in a M:M transaction so I traced the original sales ad and it stated 'movement serviced'. Another member asked 'by who' and the seller replied 'by a local shop'. The sales price lead to believe he did not pay very much for set service as it was less than the original price of the watch....

Well... After opening up the watch tonight I knew why the watch was not running... And it is not an easy fix.... The problem lies with the "service" it got. This is a typical service that most local shops give... Just drop in some oil...

The entire movement was contaminated by oil. The gear train, the balance hair spring , the bridge, the reversing wheels. Everything. No wonder it stopped. Nothing else to do than a proper service: full strip down, US cleaning and proper oiling....

So the lesson here is:

BEWARE of watches advertised with 'easy fix'

BEWARE of hack watch makers. You get what you pay for.

:peace:

Mark

41FAB5D1-8EF2-416C-B6CA-8FE5D0A869C4_zps

A1DF3E36-381A-4122-B4EB-0D19017722B3_zps

00B437FD-8CEE-4238-926F-2ECD60FA7A3A_zps

wtf?

did someone just spray WD40 on the movement?

smh.

im always weary of "serviced" watches that arnt from known watchsmiths from the forums.

there are plenty of great watchsmiths on the forums that do work at very reasonable prices. makes no sense to take it to some local hack who could care less about a replica.

meisiekped, Katt, Vac, Pbdad, Ko67, Ssteel, KenNY.. just to name a few.

ive never had work done by any of these guys buy ive seen enough posts praising their work to know that i would get amazing work from any of them.

i do have a local option but his prices are pretty high so i dont use him. 

And it is not an easy fix....

Well... I'd not call it a difficult fix. I mean that I consider difficult fix things like a damaged hairspring, a missing jewel, a broken wheel (if no spara parts are available).

This one was simply in need of a service. Time consuming maybe, but for a person like you surely nothing difficult ;)

PS: for the other readers: no, I'm not the seller :)

I have ran across a lot of those jiffy lube jobs and take them apart and run them through mineral spirits (aka Stoddard solvent) first time around and rinse them in Coleman lantern fuel (aka naptha)...then run them through L&R cleaner and rinse as usual. This saves you from wasting high priced L&R cleaner and rinse on oily parts.

L&R cleaner is basically Stoddard solvent and the rinse is basically naptha.

To save on 'One Dip' hairspring cleaner you can use commercial tetrachloroethylene automotive brake cleaner sprayed into a cup, then dip the h/s/balance wheel in it.

One Dip is essentially tetrachloroethylene (aka dry cleaning fluid).

Watches that have been drowned in oil will be Ok as long as the oil does not get on the dial...or hands with luminous filler.

Watch repair and service is certainly one category where "you gets what you pay for". I'm very skeptical of anyone who says  I can service your movement for 50.00 USD. First off, just the time taken to decase the movement, disassemble the movement, clean it thoroughly, oil it properly with the proper amount and kind of oil will probably take a couple of hours minimum, the oil is not free, the Ultrasonic machine and liquid is not free, the timegrapher and all the watchmakers tools are not free,  so unless the repairman is willing to work for minimum wage or less, he is losing money on a true complete comprehensive service. But if his service is basically a quick, decase," dip and dunk" and then put it all back together, he probably makes money at 50 bucks. Unfortunately, you the owner are the sucker, because the so called service will result in just the same situation as Rolexman describes here. What folks learn by these types of experiences is when you try to save money, in the long run it's going to cost you more as the job will have to be done twice. Stick to the guys you know that have a proven track record, you will be dollars ahead in the end.

post-327-0-28360300-1414018959_thumb.jpg

Holy crap! That movement wasn't even swimming in oil... it drowned in it!

Well, at least we'll know that that movement will be running perfectly after you're done with it! For you it's probably only a few hours away from perfect.

Now if you had taken that movement and just chucked it in the US cleaner as is, would it come out working? ...

(ok, if it did, it wouldn't be for many months, but)

Probably not long as everything would rust.... If I would just chucked it in a bath of white spirit/ one dip/ lighter fluid there would be a big chance it would run again.

Stupid me. Should have done that and flipped it in the sales section with a profit 8)

• Like 1

LOL, not a problem on the other forums :D (joking!!)

A related question, what it the best stuff to have in the US cleaner? I read on other forums that they have two baths, one to do the cleaning, and another a "post clean" dip that I guess removes the remains of the cleaning fluid and then evaporates very quickly?

Is "one dip" fluid as it says, stuff that can be used in a heated US cleaner that then evaporates when the cleaned parts are removed without need to blowing the parts dry with air?

LOL, not a problem on the other forums :D (joking!!)

A related question, what it the best stuff to have in the US cleaner? I read on other forums that they have two baths, one to do the cleaning, and another a "post clean" dip that I guess removes the remains of the cleaning fluid and then evaporates very quickly?

Is "one dip" fluid as it says, stuff that can be used in a heated US cleaner that then evaporates when the cleaned parts are removed without need to blowing the parts dry with air?

I use 3 baths. 1 ammonia based cleaning fluid. 2nd with distilled water for rinsing (both US) and the last just a dip in spirit mix which will remove all the water from cracks, evaporate and doesn't attract dirt.

One Dip is dangerous stuff. It is basically dry cleaning fluid and not good to breathe.

It is for cleaning oil off of hairsprings/balance wheels and not for plates train wheels etc.

One Dip is not to be confused with 'Solo Lube' etc that is an additive put in rinse to supposedly lubricate the parts without hand oiling. Not proper procedure imho.

I use L&R or Zenith cleaner and rinse. My cleaning machine is an L&R Vari-Matic ultrasonic, it looks like something in the bowels of Captain Nemo's submarine.

There is a video of one in action on You Tube.