When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I went into an AD this afternoon...

Nanuq

I was window shopping watches and had on my new baby. I was wearing Carhartts and sneakers, had on a T-shirt with some smart-aleck statement on it, my polar fleece pullover, and was slowly cruising past the Omega and Rolex counters.

The salesman behind the counter watched me come in, but didn't come over to say howdy. No big deal, I'd rather be left alone anyway.

Anyway I got to the new 50th anniversary GMT and was bent over looking at it thru the glass, and the salesman eventually came over, looking me up and down. It started to dawn on me that I was trailer trash in his store.

I asked a couple questions about the GMT and commented on the big beefy triplock crown, and he spied a bit of my oyster bracelet poking out of my sleeve. In the tone of voice reserved only for arrogant salespeople he said "oh, and are YOU wearing a Rolex today?"

*dripping sarcasm*

I said "oh, yeah... my old ratty one."

He said "Hmmmmmmm, may I see it?" with a raised eyebrow, doubtless on the warpath for outing a rep.

I said "Sure" and took it off, and handed it to him.

:D You should have seen the look on his face. His mouth was moving but no sounds were coming out. :tu:

Great story. That is hysterical that the head salesperson basically let the idiot know you were playing with him. I have found it is far more difficult to bait a salesman in NY or LA. For many people clothes come in two forms - suits and sweats (or ratty jeans) and that is true for a lot of the folks I know. Heck, people pay $1,000 for ratty jeans. :bangin: Salesmen know to look at your wrist before making any judgement and I have found that if you are not wearing any watch they still give you the benefit of the doubt until you open your mouth. A sale is a sale. No sale means no commission. A person has to eat. :lol: Ever watched the vultures at Tourneau or Wempe?

I was in the AP store with a very knowledgeable fellow member and the salesman was telling us some humorous stories about some of the idiotic questions he is asked. He had all day to yap politely and this salesman knew his product.

Great job, Nanuq!! What's funny to me is that most of the times I have had these type of encounters, they usually need to have several other salespeople or others there to make a "group" decision or opinion. Most of them (unless Rolex trained) have less knowledge about the watches than a great number of members on these forums. I've even seen them dispute and argue with each other. What's even funnier is when YOU ask them a question and they cannot answer or need to go running for help. Usually, I politely ask them 'How long have YOU been working for Rolex?' Even though you only have the one AD in your area, I'll bet the attitude is quite different if and when you visit again. Be sure to see the SAME salesperson!!

Edited by mag1119

you know, thinking on this some more. its rare that he even knew what you had and its value though great that he did or enough to know he had just made a big boo boo. sadly many dont take jobs in high end watch dealers out of a love of watches. theres a scant lack of history and appreciation and opportunities to chew the fat with staff with a love of watches are rare.

Hi Bob, thanks for sharing that story with us. it was great. if only all of us can have that chance to show a sales person up.......but what you have described isn't so uncommon. most sales people are like that. the one you encountered just should've known better. bet he won't make that mistake again, if he is smart enough to learn.

:D You should have seen the look on his face. His mouth was moving but no sounds were coming out. :tu:

Shades of that Phantom of the Router story!!

You know the one:

He walked in, wearing a less than impressive timepiece. Snooty, Sub-wearing AD assistant didn't want to show him a GMT, then Phantom pulled out a pick-up ticket for his own GEN Sub. Sub-wearing AD assistant almost crapped himself, and tried a sleight-of-hand with the trays. Phantom then casually inquired if that fake Sub on snooty AD assistant's wrist was going to be switcheroo'ed at some point for his gen one, and oh BTW, can I speak to your manager.

I love both stories, Nanuq!! Wish I had one. Unfortunately, a recent one of mine has me looking like the slimeball I am.

Went wearing my Fiddy to a non-AD but high-end watch dealer in Lincoln Road. Called out. Next day, like a TOTAL schmuck, I go in wearing my gen vintage solid gold Rollie (c. 20k).

You know, as if to say, "yeah I got your gen watch right here, bub" (grabbing balls).

Loser.

EDIT: (There's a thread on RWI asking people not to do this anymore -- i.e., wear their rep watches to gen watch shops/ADs. Why do we love living on the wild side? To find out if they're "knowledgeable" enough to catch us? Silly girl/people)