When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone here NOT like Rolex?

unkindone

just curious...I myself can't find it believable to wear one...as a student, wearing one just doesn't feel right??! the fact I got called out so many times and I told it them it wasn't real...yet wearing a Breitling, people never acknowledge it.

this made me not like wearing them!

even if I wore a AP ROO, triple the price of a submariner, I wouldn't be called out...its really sad to be honest..

anyways, just wondering if anyone got rid of theres because of this or just wont buy one!??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I dislike Rolex, but I find it is a brand that I can take or leave.

The problem with Rolex is that a lot of people buy a Rolex for the sake of owning a Rolex. I think in some ways it spoils it for the hardcore fans.

As a watchmaking brand I have the utmost respect for Rolex, they make very good watches, and they don't really get stuck in the fashion rut that some do. They stick to what they know best, and apart from the DSSD, they haven't really increased or changed their line up to much over the years. Whearas brands like AP and Hublot seem to be caught on making 'fashionable' watches, which is something I'm not keen on.

As far as wearing and buying a Rolex, I would never buy a genuine. Perhaps some of it is to do with the fact that the stereotypical view is that most people assume it's fake, and also something to do with the fact that I'm not a hardcore fan. Up until recently I had never even owned a replica. That will be solved as I have just bought a WM9 V2 from another memeber. I am really looking forward to receving it, as the Sub is one that has really appealed to me of late. Another that I really like is the Explorer 2, oh, and also the GMT Pepsi...mmmmm :)

Il give you my thoughts further to this when it's on my wrist :)

I've had a gen Rolex since High School...and never got called on them so I have no problem wearing them. I like them...very understated designs for the most part (except in the full gold versions or the blinged out ones). Wearing things like AP ROOs and whatnot are actually closer to what people are used to with brands like Fossil, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, and Nixon making watches of all sorts of big in your face designs...so design wise, they would not register anything...and the brands are obscure enough to the general populace that nobody but somebody interested in luxury brands would even notice.

Love Rolexes and Tudors since I was 8. Never diminished, in fact the feeling has intensified with every second passing by.

Perhaps you should pick up a book or read up on Rolexes before making up your mind that fast. It's the historical richness and achievements behind a brand that attracts me, as much as the physical attributes.

Learn about the processes and workmanship at Bern, vicariously through words and pictures....speak to some watchmakers there, take a trip, fly there....and open your eyes.

I will not hestitate to buy a genuine Rolex if its within my means to do....sure many out there feels the same way.

In the world of reps, Rolex is the most replicated brand. There's a good reason for it.

Sold-out? Maybe in many one's eyes....not mine.

It's interesting to think of the stigma that a brand name can carry, simply for being a successful, popular brand.

I know several people who have had great disdain for Rolex, only to end up cherishing one as a purchase after 'coming around'.

I don't think it's any surprise that many people purchase a Rolex once they've 'arrived' at success; the coronet is an easily recognizable status symbol and a global household name. Perhaps much of the stigma comes from being too 'mainstream', or because they are one of the most heavily faked time pieces out there- Imitation being a form of flattery and all, and it's not just the fakes that have copied their style; a good number of other watch designs out there are based on similar characteristics to the Oyster.

Kind of reminds me of that article Dowling wrote- Why Rolex is the best brand in the world. However, don't let the stigma turn you off on a Rolex. Give one a try... You might actually like it.

I get a feeling this will change one day soon. That's all I'm saying ;)

After I've tried this WM9 you might find yourself having a 'I told you so moment' haha

I love Clarkson's quote, and I don't associate myself with this in partcular, but it does sum up some people's attitude towards them;

"The only thing worse than a fake Rolex, is a real one"

I have mixed feelings about Rolex... I'm currently wearing Rolex (as much necessity as by choice :lol: ) and have to admit, they are very practical watches. They do what they need to do. I think the more recent releases have been monstrous gaudy junk, and I do think that Rolex have been very slow to make innovations to their line, such as AR coating, improvement of the oyster clasp etc etc. I've always enjoyed wearing the Rolexes which I owned, but I have to admit, when I first got my Submariner, I did feel that I might be 'too young' to be wearing such a watch. I didn't care and carried on wearing it, but, it was a thought at the back of my mind... I wore Rolexes on my recent trip to Tokyo (pictorial coming soon :tu: ) and didn't get a single comment, compliment, call out, or even interested look from passers by, and that was an awesome feeling, because it reinforces what everyone says, that the majority of folks don't care what someone else is wearing, and also made me feel that the watches must not have looked out of place on me, or someone (only an iteki gaijin, of course :D ) might have said something ^_^

I don't like Rolex watches at all...I bought two of them - submariner & yachtmaster to see why is the big hype about them...I kept them in my watchbox - wore it maybe for an hour...in the end decided to sell them...

I don't like Rolex watches at all...I bought two of them - submariner & yachtmaster to see why is the big hype about them...I kept them in my watchbox - wore it maybe for an hour...in the end decided to sell them...

Same here... Boring and dull mass products which are shamelessly overpriced as gens. This brand is perfect for people who like to pay for marketing. But it

I like them but I'm not going to buy it as my first rep. I'll eventually buy it someday but for now my rep is going to be either a SMP, Tag Aqua Chrono, or Tag Carrera.

These are the best reps I can find based on their comparisons with the genuine counter-parts. Some have a slight problem that can easily be fixed such as the SMP's bezel/markings problem, Tag Aqua Chrono's painted wordings.

I've never been particularly keen on them, probably mainly because of the 'stigma' attached to them (you have to be a flash bastard to own one etc etc) but having been looking at them on here I'm becoming increasing attracted to them, bizarrely for some of the very reasons I didn't like them before!

I like their classic style and I do believe that you pay for a certain level of engineering that goes into each piece (although I accept you're paying a lot for the label) but it's also the fact that they seem like more of an investment - there will always be a market for good used gens.

I'm gutted I missed the WM9/BK SD pre-order so am going to look out for the DSSD version. I'm also liking the Submariner, the DateJust, the DayDate, the Explorer... :)

I have to admit, I'm surprised you didn't like the Yacht-Master. I've trashed mine (whoops...) but I love the 3-D bezel. I guess they're not for everyone, but nice watches :)

I don't like the general impression the public has about the brand or the owners, but that is not going to keep me from appreciating the watches. I like watches and Rolex makes some of the finest watches in the world. Classic.

I agree with TeeJay that they could use a facelift here and there, for instance to the old-school design of the clasp folds. With that though, it is unfortunate they chose to change the case design, it hasn't grown on me.

I have to admit, I'm surprised you didn't like the Yacht-Master. I've trashed mine (whoops...) but I love the 3-D bezel. I guess they're not for everyone, but nice watches :)

That's the one Rolex I do like. I actually owned a Noob for a short while, but I never wore it because I couldn't pull off a

Okay, after reading these posts and feeling the angst behind the words, I hereby take it as my sworn duty to act.

To all who own Rolexes and hate them... send them to me. I'll put them out of your misery.

This is sort of cathartic, eh? :Jumpy:

thermal_test2.jpg

"The only thing worse than a fake Rolex, is a real one"

<Hate 'em>

Wouldn't wear one, rep or gen, unless it was to win a bet as to how long I could stand to have one on my wrist. I would take a gen Rolex if it were given to me for free, but only on the understanding that I could sell it immediately and use the cash to buy (non-Rolex) reps.

</Hate 'em>

I have been struggling with this very question recently.

Never thought I would own one, then saw a BK WM9 v2 and thought maybe .. but ultimately passed.

The pre-orders for the SD and the LV came up and I put down deposits just in case. Of course we are still waiting for perfection on those ... :)

Then I saw the BK WM9 YM and said wait a minute, maybe I am a Rollie guy after all.

And now I am searching the Bay for parts to build a franken DJ.

I must be sick ... :D

Having several reps in the early days was a pleasure to wear then...and a delight to wear now......I was not ever called out on the watch being fake...bu then I guess being around those who wore a gen and since I was in sales ...mabe no one cared or was to afraid to accuse me of wearing a fake. Then I did not care what people thought ! having one on my wrist was pure delight and thats all I cared about.

I find the rolex to be a simply stated watch with class and elegance. Pure and simple ;)

what difference does it make if it is gen or rep....people wear fake bling watches with faux diamonds ...we all know they are fake so what !

Enjoy your appearel with all the accessories that adorn your wrist.......whatever that may be.

but if you dont feel good about it....then dont wear it :whistling:

The essence of time is too always look your best :1a:

<Hate 'em>

Wouldn't wear one, rep or gen, unless it was to win a bet as to how long I could stand to have one on my wrist. I would take a gen Rolex if it were given to me for free, but only on the understanding that I could sell it immediately and use the cash to buy (non-Rolex) reps.

</Hate 'em>

Right. Nasty old things......

hangingdaytonas005vivid21.jpg