When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yay! Finally back online!

Admin

Finally back online, but unfortunately on a week old backup (Well, since the board went down on friday and the backup is from tuesday, it's more like 3 days old)

I've still got a bunch of errors to figure out, but never in my entire computer life have I ever had this run of bad. I'll get back to you with more details when I find the time, but just to give you a hint; The server died on Friday because of a fire in the server :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And here I was thinking mont riche had finally had enough of the new Cartel 111J and 288K super reps, Concepta Frankens etc and thought it was time to take it all down :)

Good to have RWG back, cheers to the admins :)

T said to me earlier today that I wouldn't believe the problems he has run into to get us back online.

My answer..

"Knowing how good you are at what you do I don't have the slightest doubt of the problems"

I think it's fair to say we are all very lucky to have to have him at the helm.

Ken

I was online when it went down,.....smoke coming off my keyboard. Fire in the server, I hope you all are ok? Regards for you T, it's becoming a fulltime job so it sounds to keep this running....I will take the liberty of posting a thread to collect some cash for the destroyed server

Good luck buddy

OK. I have some stuff that is running in the background that I need to wait for, so here are some more details;

When the site went offline Friday, I was going to contact the datacenter where our servers are located, but they beat me to it and contacted me (which is not good, because either I owe them money or there is something VERY wrong somewhere) Well, I knew I did not owe them any money, so this had to be bad news and it was; There had been a fire in the rack where our servers were located. The fire was quickly put out, but not quick enough.

Before I continue, here is a little background info for you guys. We run separate web and database servers to speed things up a bit. My regular setup is at least 3 hard drives per server; 2 drives in a RAID1 setup (this will create identical content on 2 disks, so that if one fails, it can easily be replaced and all content is still available on disk 2 and when a new disk is inserted, all content is synced to both disks again) The 3rd disk is used for our nightly backups. All content is then archived (this is why the servers are so unresponsive sometimes. It takes a bit of computing power to put all our content into an archive) and stored on the 3rd disk. On top of this, I also rsync the archived backups on disk 3 to a separate, off site location.

OK, so we had a fire in the datacenter and lost all of our servers. "No biggie. I've got backups" Well, unfortunately all of our disks were somehow damaged, and it was simply not possible to get any content from any of the disks. Again..."No biggie. I've got backups". And this is where the "fun" starts. (I seriously thought everything was lost forever when the next thing happened). When I started to restore the latest backups, NONE of them worked. Not sure why, but all backups failed file checks and the archives were corrupt. So basically that means I had no backups left. Bad luck like this should not be possible.....A backup setup like this is usually bulletproof...Our techs at the datacenter had never heard of anything like this!

But then Lady Fortuna smiled to me; On Wednesday I downloaded one of the main backups from our server to get a couple of files from it and it was still on my home computer. YAY! So to be on the safe side, I made several copies of this file and started to upload it. Now, this file was about 52GB in size (Every daily backup file is this big!) and I can only tell you that it takes a loooong time to upload such a file on a 5MB outbound connection. After starting the restoration this morning, my time, and running into a few minor problems with the database, everything was once again working again.

All content posted since Tuesday is gone and this also goes for PM's and any other "stuff" that you have managed to put on our server. So if you sent me a PM and I did not fix it, PM me again. If you posted something funny, interesting, etc, post it again ;)

Oh, and if you upgraded your membership these days, PM me or e-mail me at admin@rwg.cc to get the upgrade applied to your account again. Remember to include your PP-address or transaction number in your PM/email.

Yes, we are.

KB has his arm burned, but nothin serious :drinks:

Did he??? :lol:

On a more serious note....

After reading T explain, I am in awe of the amount of work which goes on behind the scenes... :notworthy:

Thanks T & gang, for letting me come home again... These couple of days seemed like years, really was lonely.... :p