When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

looks like im in for it

tyrantblade

Apparently the members of WUS have great hate for anybody belonging to rep forums, even before anybody does anything wrong.

I get that some people; no doubt a very small amount buy reps to try to sell them as a gen.

But to automatically assume ill intent when no rules were broken? 

What Assholes.

My bad for being too lazy to have different usernames on different forums.

It might be just me being grumpy after having a horrible nights sleep... But.this isn't the first time you start a thread, and I can't really see what point you're trying to make.

It feels like a new thread is like a status update on Facebook.

If you want to start a debate and not just start a thread that'll drift unanswered into oblivion, add some more meat to your initial post.

What do you want to discuss? That gen owners don't like reps? I wouldn't either if a major part of my self esteem was linked to the fact that my watch is real, shines a little extra and costs a whole lot more.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I made a topic on WUS telling people to be careful when buying an Omega with the 9300 caliber movement as there are new reps out of that model with full decorations.

a couple of their members had to bring into question how I would know such a thing and one of them even brought up how I'm a member here.

i didn't break their rules and so I did nothing wrong, I don't see how being a member here and on WUS is wrong, or even connected.

see my point now?

Well now you got them with their panty's in a bunch, best stay away from there. OH you did not have to do anything wrong by the way but they ain't stupid they figured out you know cause you say reps not fakes and found you here, that's a big no no.

Sorry for not agreeing at all with You. Why would You make a general thread "warning" people to be careful with the Omega 9300 movement. It doesn´t help a thing to 2nd hand buyers and just draws unnecessary attention to this hobby. Imagine a new thread for each Panerai and AP release etc. It´s like "warning" tourists to be "careful" on St. Kitts, in Acapulco or Rome - if ppl take and flash their Rolex, diamond rings and reflex cameras they will be mugged anyway - the only way is just NOT to take anything of value.

The normal buyer can´t tell rep or gen from each other anyway, so he should just walk into an AD/reputable store and pay the $500 or $1000 premium, he gets a warranty, an invoice and is much better off. Otherwise he risks not only getting a rep but also not getting anything, getting a broken gen, getting a scratched and unserviced gen etc. etc. Leave the 2nd hand gen market to the pros (private or professional).

The Twisted World of Watches... 

(A)   The majority of the genuine watch forum bed wetters are:  1...Jealous.   2...Disappointed.   3...Disillusioned.   Jealous because replica owners get the Wow! accolades (and the Damsel) same as any Gomer wearing the Real Deal and Disappointed because in reality their $10k 'investment' was a fool's errand, especially when it breaks and needs 'official' $ervice. They are Disillusioned because they believe 'High Achievers and Heroes all wear genuine watches.'  All the others are sinners and destined to burn at the stake in Geneva.

(B)   1: They do not know much about watches in general and can not tell a higher grade replica from a genuine watch.   2: They have very little or no sense of humor.   3: They tend to identify with the brand and wear 'Macho Brands' and/or certain types of watches as a badge of 'manliness'.  Replicas take this all away from them because the guy wearing the replica has the same status, therefore replicas are something to be hated and/or feared along with the person wearing it.  They have no problem with pirated DVDs etc though.

(C)   Most of the genuine watch forum members are replicas of sane, reasonable people.

• Like 5

I have been a member of several gen forums for a long time. Mostly forums that are either non brand specific or more obscure brands. I know that there are others from here who visit those forums as well as here.

I tend to agree with automatico, however my caveat is the real snobs, idiots and disillusioned belong to the higher end watch forums. These are the ones who tend to look down their noses at everyone who doesn't have a genuine Rolex, Panerai, AP etc., etc.. It is incredible the lack of real knowledge the members of these forums possess. Their knowledge of even their own model, the brand history, notable achievements are a "dark forest" to them. And to make it even worse, they aren't interested. All they want is a venue to show off their watches and brag about what a success they are.

Having said that, it does not one scintilla of good to go on those forums and provoke them. Nothing is gained and all it does is draw unwanted attention to the rep forums. Another point, I don't think it a good idea to operate with the same user name across a lot of forums, especially if these forums are at cross purposes to each other. Certainly there are a fair number of genuine forum members lurking on the rep forums. Some are here to spy, others are just curious about reps, some are interested in seeing how really good the reps are. I have no problem with any of them visiting as long as they are not here to pick a fight. I'm sure that reading posts, they pick up on forum names, especially ones that are pretty odd and not seen often. When they see the same name pop up on the genuine forum, it rings a bell.

My advice like lots of others before me is simply do not mention anything related to, pertaining to or linking you to reps on any genuine forum. Nothing good comes from it. I have a great example of something that happened several years ago on the Doxa  forum on WUS. Dr. Peter Millar is the definitive expert on vintage Doxa watches. He wrote a wonderful book on the History of the Doxa Dive watches from the 1960's (Sub 300) to the present (About 8-10 years ago). Probably no one individual was held in greater esteem by the members of the forum. In a post he mentioned that he had purchased a replica Rolex Submariner and commented on the quality and closeness to the genuine. From the comments, you would have thought that he had confessed to molesting every girl in his home town Girl Scout troop!! Fortunately, most of the negative posters were folks who were occasional posters and infrequent visitors. Most of the regulars stood by his right to post what he felt was correct. Their support was at best lukewarm though. No one really wanted to go out on a limb and join his club!! He was very unrepentant, and challenged most who posted negatively to justify their position, which because of their ignorance they couldn't do. He survived unscathed to fight another day, but had this been just any regular member, they would have been tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail!! So when you are in the den of the bear, don't poke the bear!!

• Like 2

I agree with pan153. You will not get much hassle from a guy wearing a Seiko 5, Orange Monster, Invicta etc (although a Grand Seiko owner might not be as easy going). I have respect for the average watch guy same as anyone else. Imho it's the arrogant watch snobs that need sanding down. 

Maybe after they get older and have a titanium knee or hip replacement, they will come around to the fact that replicas are not that bad after all.   :pimp:

Surprisingly they didn't ban me, i guess they don't want the reputation of the forum to be that they are that tight as to ban people that have done no wrong.

Still, now i know to tread super lightly, or else next time i may get banned just because they know im a member here.

On 5/19/2016 at 11:44 AM, tyrantblade said:

Apparently the members of WUS have great hate for anybody belonging to rep forums, even before anybody does anything wrong.

I get that some people; no doubt a very small amount buy reps to try to sell them as a gen.

But to automatically assume ill intent when no rules were broken? 

What Assholes.

My bad for being too lazy to have different usernames on different forums.

The notion that members of WUS (or another gen watch forum)have "great hate" for "anybody belonging to rep forums" is greatly exaggerated and unjustified. I belong to a couple of local genuine watch forums, and I definitely do not resent anyone owning reps. I own great reps myself, and I know of several other members who do. 

I hope that the point of your post was to share what happened with you personal and not a general one designed to make people take sides in a contentious debate and eventually cause the issues to be discussed with resentment.

Be careful please Mr Fluffy. Thank you for your cooperation. 

40 minutes ago, Legend said:

The notion that members of WUS (or another gen watch forum)have "great hate" for "anybody belonging to rep forums" is greatly exaggerated and unjustified. I belong to a couple of local genuine watch forums, and I definitely do not resent anyone owning reps. I own great reps myself, and I know of several other members who do. 

I hope that the point of your post was to share what happened with you personal and not a general one designed to make people take sides in a contentious debate and eventually cause the issues to be discussed with resentment.

Be careful please Mr Fluffy. Thank you for your cooperation. 

Well after the topic on WUS went on for a few days it seems a few people were complete Assholes upon one person pointing out im a member here, an equal amount were of the opinion that i wasn't doing any harm and had no ill intent.

No doubt theres a silent majority that didn't want to touch the topic, watching without posting anything.

And it wasn't because i had ever bought a rep advertised as a gen, i just thought that if i was looking to buy a 9300 caliber Omega i would have hated to be scammed since the differences between the newest reps and the gens are closing.

Lesson learned, never warn those guys of anything, let them get scammed if they are gullible enough to not make sure they are getting a genuine 9300 caliber Omega (or any other watch from any brand for that matter)

After all, i do nothing wrong and some still try there best to throw me out the door? 

No more help from me, they are on their own.

Gen forum members are a lot like us, except less inclined toward intricate details. Also, quite a number of the members do not own expensive gen watches, or even own gens at all.

Let's not be judgemental toward gen forum members on the whole. I believe that you find asses in both camps.

Disdain is often a result of a lack of knowledge or understanding, and often more of an individual decision rather than a general attitude of a community.

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

• Like 1

Hi, tyrant.  Call me Tim.  I've been a member of this forum for 7 years, although I mostly lurk..;)  I own AP, Panerai, PP, Breguet, IWC, Hublot, and Rolex reps.  I love reps.  They allow those of us who are not affluent the chance to stunt on sucka fools with dope watches that are nearly indistinguishable.  That is why we are all reading this.

However, I recently bought a gen Rolex and became a member of a few forums.  I have recently started posting there, and have met interesting people and gained valuable information about watches - much as I have done here!  My point is...I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVEN DREAMED ABOUT JOINING THOSE FORUMS UNTIL I ACTUALLY OWNED A ROLEX MYSELF!!!!  Sure, those forums are great places to grab information about and photos of gens so that we can compare our gens to reps, but why would you create a username there, let alone start a thread there when nobody even knows who the heck you are?  As one person said earlier, if you just want people to listen to you talk, use facebook.  Or post something in the off topic lounges here.  Although I agree that you really didn't do much wrong, it's still not a good look.  Ya know?

I think most of them buy from ADs, trusted sellers, or M2M and most all the watches they buy come with provenance or are vouched for to be real. Warning them only draws attention to yourself and why you know so much about fake watches.

The guys that really need help are the poor ebayers that think everything on the bay is gen. I've heard a few horror stories from there.