When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do with those extra parts? Build something of course...

ubiquitous

As folks that build project watches will likely know how such things typically occur, left over parts from such endeavors are not uncommon.

I'm currently working on a slow, long, drawn out project where most everything that can go wrong has gone wrong, but I digress; such is not the topic for this post. However relevant, the movement donor for that project was a 5500 Air King. A small little guy at 34mm in size, but it had the correct 1520 that I wanted, so alas it was sacrificed for the engine inside :) Normally, the empty left over shell would just sit in my collection of other donor cases, but for some reason I felt compelled to give this particular case a second look. Dunno what really set this instance apart, but I had a sudden urge to build it into a secondary project of sorts. Let me just say that this secondary effort turned out better than I was expecting, and better than the primary project that I'm still wrestling with.

-Gen Air King 5500 case/caseback/bezel (34mm)

-Gen 6mm 602-0

-Aftermarket gloss/gilt Explorer Precision dial

-SS rep hands gilted and aged

-ETA 2824

-Gen 7835 folded link bracelet

Hands modified and ready to go.

IMG_2635.jpg

Dial mounted...

IMG_3312.jpg

Then hands...

IMG_3315.jpg

And cased.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

Bracelet fitted:

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

Overall, this one's a little too small for my preference, but maybe Mrs. Ubi will enjoy it?

Thanks, fellers. The size of this watch just looks ridiculous on me; granted, my wrists are not very big, but still, it's a small watch :) Looks at home on Mrs. Ubi's wrist, however... And my 6 year old son could probably sport it as well.

The bracelet end links are tweaked quite a bit, but I believe they are correct for this model (357 end links). I've managed to straighten them out, but given the age and wear on it, they're sitting a bit loose at the lugs still...

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Bracelet is actually from my big bro Lanikai!

Couple of new pics... First one is after end link tweaking for an improved fit ;)

IMG_3465.jpg

And the next are some comparisons for scale of size...

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

I decided to wear this one to the office today, and in all honesty the case doesn't feel as small as it seemed when I initially tried this one on :)