When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1675 Cornino finally completed!

chiman12

A lot of members have seen RolexAddicts awesome 1675 builds, in addition, Star69 built a 1675 from the Josh 1:1 1655.

Introducing my 1675 Cornino...

P1013867.jpg

P1013863.jpg

Specs are the following:

Josh 1:1 1655 case

CWP 6542 small GMT hand

NDT gilt dial

Yuki 7206 expanding bracelet

gen bezel insert

gen crown

Sternkruz T116

wholesaleoutlet bezel assembly and roulette wheel

and the jewel of this project...

P1013794.jpg

A Zodiac 75B GMT movement. Unlike the modified ones in reps, this is a true GMT movement and beats at a slower 21.6k...

I wanted a transitional look of a 6542 to a 1675, so I used gilt hands and aged the hands by lightly sanding them with 60 micron sandpaper and then "glopped" on lume to the hands to give them a vintage look. I also chose to go with a roulette wheel (sorry Freddy!). Finally, I applied a pebble finish to the dial. This is accomplished by first spraying on matte finish and then while still wet, lightly dab the dial with a paper towel. Though not accurate, I think that this finish gave the watch a more vintage feel and a personal touch...

P1013860.jpg

The CG's were sculpted by me. I didn't think that the original CG's were just shaved and ended at a point. Rolex had to elegantly form the pointed CG's so that flows with the case. I also softened up the edges of the case and installed a gen 5.3mm crown. This was originally difficult, because the Josh case came with a 6mm crown tube, thus I had to find a tube this will fit like a 6mm but yet take a 5.3mm crown. I eventually had to go with an Asian crown tube, but it did the job!

P1013789.jpg

P1013861.jpg

Was it a fun project??? Definitely, even though there was a lot of trial and error with the movement, it was very satisfying that I managed to get the movement to work. I would definitely do a project like this again

Afterthought and closing statements. It looks like the hands are a little off as compared to the GMT time, so I will need to reset the hands. I would like to find a better coin edge bezel and the cyclopes on the crystal is not centered, after doing a little research, Sterny had two types of T116 crystals, so I get this one and give it a try.

Thanks for looking!!!!

the cyclopes on the crystal is not centered, after doing a little research, Sterny had two types of T116 crystals, so I get this one and give it a try.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Thanks for sharing! Well Done! I wanted to stop after my 6542 but I keep seeing these beautiful jobs by you guys here that I want to emulate. 

I'm in a build now that will use an ETA dial. Gary at Clark's told me to sand down the cyclops on his Tropic 116 and polish it, then install an aftermarket cyclops in the right spot. I will 'practice' on an old one, and see how it turns out. If that other Sterny works, please let us know. 

Thanks everyone!

@flex...I basically bought a box of Generic Rolex hands, from CousinsUK. The box has all sorts of Rolex and Tudor hands. IMO they are pretty accurate and go a long way if you have a lot of Rolex projects...

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/494/1958.aspx

@ Alligoat...that's not a bad idea, but isn't the 6542 different in size? If not, then maybe I will undertake a 6542 project also!

As I recall Chi, the 6542 also takes a T-116. The bezel is slightly different- coin edged like a 5508/5510. But maybe you've seen the gold 1675's with no crown guards- early 60's stuff. And one of the white dialed 6542's had a 1675 bezel

6542panam2qn.jpg

Certainly the later 6542's came with the metal insert in lieu of the earlier bakelite insert.

As I recall Chi, the 6542 also takes a T-116. The bezel is slightly different- coin edged like a 5508/5510. But maybe you've seen the gold 1675's with no crown guards- early 60's stuff. And one of the white dialed 6542's had a 1675 bezel

Certainly the later 6542's came with the metal insert in lieu of the earlier bakelite insert.

hhhmmmm...:g:

• 9 months later...