When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WTF! Ubi's 7032 going for $50k!

chiman12

Heck... I don't mind if someone who buys my watch wants to try and make some money off of it. I priced it low enough so that if someone did want to resell for a few more bucks, they could do so with a straight face (with the presumption that it would be sold with full disclosure of origin, build, etc).

But $40k?! That to me is just excessive. Shit... I felt that listing it at $4k was excessive (which is in the neighborhood of what I had into it)...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quite agree, all I can suggest, is maybe the person really needs the cash. Desperation can make people do stupid things, and principles do little when the wolves're at the door. Not saying that I condone what has happened, the seller has clearly abused the trust here, and that does nothing for the hobby, but given my own situation, knowing how tight money is, living hand to mouth between commissions, well, all I can say is I can understand what might drive someone to do something like this.

(That is of course assuming that their situation is one of desperation... If it's just the greed of trying to flip a watch for profit, that makes it a different kettle of fish entirely and would mean a big :thumbsdown: for them...)

there is no justification in trying to scam anybody like this......

there is no justification in trying to scam anybody like this......

When you have creditors phoning you several times a day, have to make £212 stretch for a fortnight over all your utilities and expenses, and don't have the money in your wallet to treat your wife to a coffee, you might understand what can drive someone to behave like that. Not saying it is 'justification', just saying I can understand what might drive someone to behave like that.

guys...were making assuptions here that the E-Bay seller is the same member on RWG...maybe he turned around and sold it to someone else or bought it for someone else...all I can conclude is that Ubi's 7032 is being sold on E-Bay and THAT seller is a scammer.

It might not be an RWG forum member...innocent until proven guilty...I guess...

The scammed buyer goes after the seller, perhaps the Feds get involved. (postal fraud, etc). The scammer then points the finger at me saying I sold the watch to him as a genuine. Now I have the fed's, or Paypal, or eBay, snooping around my business and questioning me, freezing my account, and knocking on my door. Not worth the hassle.

Ditto.

I understand the worries re that situation, but if the feds see he's bought a watch for, say, $2k and then sold it on as genuine at x times the price, any fed with a brain is going to question the fact he paid so little for it in the first place but is saying it was sold to him as gen, surely??

Well you'd hope... lol

Although whether they would then got nosey round your affairs would be difficult to judge until it happened, but I wouldn't like to bet against it!

Guest jsuperman17

sorry to hear all the trouble your great work has gotten ubi... but in the end.. our frankens have a world of possiblities... its not our fault if it gets passed for a gen... this is a passion for us... we cannot prevent the repercussions of situations like this on ebay... once again ubi... ur the man!!! i get dibs on your 16520... thanks to you im aiming for the gen unless you can convince me otherwise :D

Hey gang,

Sorry to chime in somewhat late; I haven't been on the forum in a few weeks. Chief and red alerted me to this thread; I can attest that this is indeed my old watch! WTF?! $40K US???

Followed this today... sorry Ubi!

This (above) was exact what i didnt wanted to hear :(

i had some small hope from the pictures that the watch listed is

another franken-build and all is just coincidental - 40.000 USD??

W_TF!!

Feel sorry for you and for the buyer -

but if you say THIS is your watch, who else will know better than you?

That kind of usury is extraordinary gross to me -

also most notably because your franken-watch is resold AS GEN!!

:mellow:

George

Gentlemen,

The Admin group has done some in-depth sleuthing and we have confirmed the Ebay watch is indeed Ubi's creation. Also, sadly, the Ebay seller has been a member of RWG for some time.

The member has been banned from RWG. We will withold his username for now, but eventually it will be made known.

As always, caveat emptor. Buy the seller, not the watch. And thanks to ChiMan12 for being vigilant and pointing out the Ebay sale so we could address this.

That is very, very sad news. I am truly shocked that someone would try to do that here. I know we've had a number of scams lately around here, but to attempt to pass off an Ubi creation as a gen and add on that much of a profit to it is just plain gross to me.

NIce to see the Admin team took action so quickly! Bravo fellas!

What a bugger.

Guys, the seller pulled the sale himself, can we all report it to Ebay as a rep and he'll hopefully suffer from them too if they get enough reports the same and they may stop him relisting it. As it is at the moment he could just relist it whenever, Ebay haven't had anything to do with pulling it holding his account.

Edited by TheBluePrince

I think we should just add that the seller obviously pulled the watch when Chi posted about it.

Now he is banned he may have a 'It doesn't matter anymore' attitude, therefore we should all stay alert to him relisting the watch and be ready to report it to eBay.

Ken

Just goes to show that a moment of weakness and a bad judgement call can have some deep consequences. :bangin: I sorta feel bad for the member who tried this as he/she will have to live with it for the rest of their life.

To Ubi hope this doesn't affect you making these creations as there are still honest people out there who enjoy your work. Don't let a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. To chiman, good catch!

I just got home and the news is disappointing to hear that the seller was indeed a long standing member.

But this is why the forums are here, to inform, watch out for each other and others, but most importantly have fun with this hobby.

Great job on the admin team with this one!

Ssssooo...anybody have any new and interesting projects! Let's see them!!!:group: