When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something to finally share....

omgiv

Well the day has finally come when I feel like I have something to share with the board. This project has been in the making for about six months. This board has been killing me because there have been so many great projects in that time. Most of the waiting has been for the funds to come in. Anyway, Here is my new GW 1665 from '79. The final piece of the puzzle came yesterday in the form of a Phong 1665 case. I had ordered a different case from another parts source but was not happy with the case. The deal breaker was that a genuine crystal would not fit the case (crystal seat was too small). Fortunately, this was not the case with this one. I did a little bit of case modification to the crown guards and edges of the case. After that, I started the assembly process. Once the case was assembled, I pressure tested it to 10 atm to see if it would leak. It had a leak around the HEV and I had to swap some of the gaskets for it. I tested it again and the leak was gone. The only "problems" I had were the spring bars. I don't know if this particular watch uses different spring bars from a 5513/1680, but they were sticking out past the lug holes. I filled the spring bars down and polished them back up and they seem to be fine now. I wonder if the lugs are too skinny, but it doesn't really bother me. The other thing that is a little bothersome is that the bezel spins a little too freely for me (even after bending the bezel washer). I don't think it bothers me as much as a genuine bezel and retaining ring would run though:) Anyway, I just wanted to show some pictures and get some feedback from you guys (good, bad, or ugly). Thanks for looking and for being such a great place to come.

Genuine 1570 movement serviced by me

Genuine luminova dial

Genuine luminova hands

Genuine luminova insert

Genuine Tropic 39 crystal

Genuine 703 crown and tube

Genuine 585 end links

Genuine 93150 bracelet

Phone 1665 case with custom serial

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

I love how you can read the dial from the lume

DSC_0028.jpg

Here she is next to my new BK/WM9 V2 Sub (gen crown, bezel and retaining ring, crystal, and insert)

DSC_0035-1.jpg

Well done. Really. :good:

2 relatively minor recommendations - do not file down the springbars. The gens often stick out a bit beyond the sides of the case (that is a good thing & 1 of the indicators I look for on gens). The other thing is that I would soften the inside edges of the CGs a bit more. As they are, I do not think they match the 'age' of the rest of the case. It almost looks like the case was sanded, but the owner forgot to sand the CGs. Hint - when Rolex replaces a crown/tube, they lightly polish the area in & around it &, after some years, it shows.

Unless the bezel spring is damaged, a good bend should tighten it up. On a (properly adjusted) gen, the bezel should require you to press it down (firmly) before it will rotate. If it spins freely (or moves during normal wear), the spring probably requires a more severe bend.

Even so, well done (but keep an eye peeled for a vintage -- bold font -- gen bezel/insert). :good:

Thanks for all of the compliments!!!! Coming from guys, that means a lot. I doubt that this one will be up for sale, but I am a bit surprised at how much wrist presence this thing has :)

@freddy333:

The spring bars were poking out more than I have ever seen. It was so much that it could have easily snagged on something. The next time I have the bracelet off, I will put a new one on and snap a picture. I did smooth out the inside of the crown guards but probably erred on the side of caution. I did that the polishing wheel to them after working them, so the inside did get polished after all was done. The next time I change the tube out, I will maybe do a little more work.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the compliments!!!!!!

man looks great :good: only thats not gen is the case huh. that is some serious commitment one day i hope to have something similar , the price tag scares me tho :)

the reason for your pinbars sticking out might be because your lugs look noticeably thinner than any ive seen on a SD modern or vintage. even on a gen case theyre right at edge ready to stick out. compare lug thickness

rarevinta-1266957402-14365.jpg

Awesome!!

I love it!

Makes my MBW based 1665 look like crap! ha ha ha

You sure dont see many 1665 service dials around. I can only imagine what that dial cost you...

Good work my friend! Time for you to enjoy your new watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's a gen 1665 from my photo album

IMG_340011.jpg

IMG_340311.jpg

As you can see, the lugs are quite a bit thicker

here's a DRSD,

RXSDW1665-011.jpg

But someone said my 1680 had been overpolished on the lugs, this isn't much of a lug shot, but it looks like your SD, it is what it is.

1680sub2.jpg

I'd leave those springbars in there and go on.